MUMBAI controversy

what do u think about this controversy ?

• political gimmick and i dont agree to such claims

Votes: 56 77.8%
  • not a political gimmick and i am with this

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • i dont care

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Again the same thing. Praka why do you associate Hindi with north indians? Why can't you forget the north indians for a while and accept Hindi as the national language. I can't even imagine an Indian who cannot or would not speak Hindi. Its something you are expected to do being a citizen of India. Just like you accept the tiger as the national animal, the peacock as the national bird and the tri colour as our national flag, you are expected to accept Hindi as the national language.
sorry according to the south indian theory we sing so many songs jana gana mana should not be our national song ;)
(and its Mumbai for gods sake and not bombay. Just like you south indians don't like being called madrasi similarly we Mumbaiites don't like it to be called bombay.)
that my friend is another debate ... i was born in bombay and i am brought up in bombay - mumbai my a$$

mediator

Technomancer
jithu said:
that may be beacuse when persian came here they only visited hindi talking people..in the north...and they named it as hindi = indian.:idea:..(i became a historian...haha... :rolleyes:) the misunderstanding has happened before in history also...
May be their tongue got twisted n formed knots when they tried their best in South Indian languages?? No historian, u became a funny philosopher!

@Hindi/Hindian bashers.....Please try to keep ur own sorry rear cool, calm and most importantly 'quiet'....as the noise is becoming too annoying! I repeat no one is forcing u to learn Hindi the way its being done for English!!

I read headlines and feel many Raj Thakareys are sprouting here!! :oops:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
iMav, i dunno whats up with your a$$ but Mumbai is Mumbai. Its what the locals call it and not what the british named it. Just like kolkata is kolkata and not calcutta and chennai is chennai and not madras. What used to be bombay several years ago is now officially knows as Mumbai all over the world. Even when I was born it was bombay. But then it got changed to Mumbai. It is named after the Mumba Devi who was worshipped by the original residents of Mumbai, i.e. the fishermen. Bombay might sound stylish and makes one look cool and all. But you're infact referring to a place which does not exist. Learn to call a place by its actual name. End of debate.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
iMav, i dunno whats up with your a$$ but Mumbai is Mumbai. Its what the locals call it and not what the british named it.
But you're infact referring to a place which does not exist. Learn to call a place by its actual name. End of debate.
contradiction :rolleyes:

and i will certainly say that the name change was instigated to show off that 1 man has the power to do what he feels like and making bombay to mumbai was only a part of this "pro-marathi" propoganda by the shiv seniks and now is being followed by raj thackray

raj thackray is a product of shiv sena and their philosophy they wont do anything for the good of the people in other parts of maharashtra but will raise a hue and cry about non-maharashtrians here in mumbai .... they will change the name but wont provide electricity and water; they will beat up taxi drivers but not provide food to the poor and then they want to talk about non-maharashtrians

Last edited:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
So whats wrong with the name change? Even calcutta and madras changed their names. Plus why use a name given by the british when one has a perfectly good name being used since long by many. Plus Mumbai is a part of maharashtra and is primarily a marathi speaking city. So whats wrong with a marathi name?

Now don't reply. I need to get some sleep. I'm sure we can go on debating on this. This will make praka feel ignored and then he'll complain south indians are ignored in forums.:D I'm getting bloodshot eyes and aching fingers by typing on my phone. Need to get some sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZ......

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
So whats wrong with the name change? Even calcutta and madras changed their names.
i hate people whocahnge their cell fone numbers time to time and i hate people who get their name changed because some pandit said so and i sure damn hate it when people change the name of a city just to make it sound like it belongs to a particular caste/culture
Plus why use a name given by the british when one has a perfectly good name being used since long by many.
ever since iv been hearing its only been bombay
Plus Mumbai is a part of maharashtra and is primarily a marathi speaking city. So whats wrong with a marathi name?
kari na raj thacray wali baat :D
Now don't reply. I need to get some sleep. I'm sure we can go on debating on this.
im replying coz im not sleepy :D
This will make praka feel ignored and then he'll complain south indians are ignored in forums
jeshtha please dont throw me out of tamil nad wen i come there

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
i cant go thru all these 'chavaru' post.
ive finished upto8th on KV[Kendriya vidyalaya] and most of the workers nd teachers were northies. They just brought a rule that student are not allowed to speak any language other than hindi or english.
Its just coz they dun understand malayalam[im a keralite too]. and any thing to say bout it??

I can speak malayalam, english nd hindi fluently. But hindi was forced on me by the northies teachers. Yup hindi was on syllabus but it just contributed some 30~40% of ma hindi.
When we talked malayalam at schools, the northies friends[more than 60%] just say abuses bout us. So we learn hindi to abuse back[im not a pro abuser].

And now most people here just want to learn hindi to watch hindi movies. And not to talk to local northies.
Just consider 10 people[hindians] who come to kerala. They just wants everybody to talk[by learning or they might force] hindi. But there may be thousands of local mallus around and why can't they just malayalam instead? Its much easy for 10 people to learn mal than thousand of mallus to learn hindi.

Moreover here in therters, ive seen many northies saying abuses in hindi in loud[thinking all are mor*ns] nd dont understand hindi. So we may just stand near them nd says somethin in hindi first then then in malayalam. So no more abuses from them.

I was just saying, the minority in each places shud try to cope with others nd try to learn their language rather than to impose their language by any means even if its their mother toung or national language.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
iMav is main raj thakrey wali kaun si baat ho gayi? Isn't it natural that a predominantly marathi speaking city in a state whose mother tongue is marathi will have a marathi name? All other cities in maharashtra have marathi names given to them by the locals. So why should Mumbai have a british name? British chale gaye, IMav ko chod gaye.

I know many non-maharashtrians have problem with the name Mumbai. Hence they purposefully call it bombay. Well thats not how its done. If you're staying here, learn to adjust to the way it is. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And call it what the Romans call.

praka123

left this forum longback
^u got a chance to see Hindian chauvinism :lol: anyways stay in ur pro-hindi agenda!I wont get angry :D

Raj thackarey may have spoken this for may be political mileage.
But the reality is,Bombay is now already out of control of Marathi's.

Even I read in online forums that Bombay should be made a seperate state and make pune as "aamchi maharashtr" capital as pune is the cultural city of MH.

This is what NI want to do!they want to force their culture,language everything else on others.
while South Indians esp Kerala and TN resists this movements,they are termed as betrayers :-|

Hindians,learn to understand that if u want respect,you ought to give respect and should not force ur culture and language on South Indians esp.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I was born and brought up in Madras. But I like calling Chennai, because it's the Tamil name not named by Britishers. Nevertheless old people (and my parents) call Madras and not Chennai.

And still there are some old names kept during Madras times like IIT Madras, East India Company - Madras Branch, etc... I like to be IIT Madras ot IIT Chennai.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
iMav is main raj thakrey wali kaun si baat ho gayi? Isn't it natural that a predominantly marathi speaking city in a state whose mother tongue is marathi will have a marathi name? All other cities in maharashtra have marathi names given to them by the locals. So why should Mumbai have a british name? British chale gaye, IMav ko chod gaye.

I know many non-maharashtrians have problem with the name Mumbai. Hence they purposefully call it bombay. Well thats not how its done. If you're staying here, learn to adjust to the way it is. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And call it what the Romans call.
fyi please watch the big city debate on cnn-ibn at 12 noon mumbai was an island city it did not belong to any 1 state and was and still is an immigrant city it never was "maharashtrian" more 50% of mumbaikars are immigrants as opposed to 37% localites. watch the show the debate was amazing and u will get some stats/facts which will clear ur misconception of mumbai being maharashtrian

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Mumbai is the capital of maharashtra. And you say it does not belong to maharashtra. A capital which does not belong to that state. Yup that makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Mumbai is the capital of maharashtra. And you say it does not belong to maharashtra. A capital which does not belong to that state. Yup that makes a lot of sense.

1534 - Bombay islands were captured by the Portuguese.
1661 - The islands were gifted in the dowry to Charles II of England.
1668 - Charles II gave the islands to the East Indian Company on lease.
1708 - Bombay became the H.Q. of the East India Company.
1862 - The islands were merged to shape one stretch.
1869 - Suez Canal was opened and Bombay developed as an international port.
1947 - Bombay was declared the capital of Bombay state.
1960 - Bombay was made the capital of Maharashtra.
1995 - The name was changed to Mumbai after the goddess 'Mumbadevi'.

as i was saying mumbai wasnt a part of maharashtra and was an island city comprising of immigrants and not maharashtirans per say

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
East India Company still there? they havnt gone ?:mad:
:D
I mean the name of the building is still there now. Not only East India Company, but also many other British Buildings are in Chennai now like:
- Rippon Building (Corporation of Chennai)
- Chennai Central Railway sation
- Southern Railways HQ
- Madras Egmore Railway Station
- Raj Bhavan
- College of Engg, Guindy (Anna University)
- Madras University
- Higginbothams, Mount Road (now Anna Salai)
- Madras High Court
- Fort St. George

And many others along Mount Road, Sardar Patel Road, Parrys/Broadway and Esplanade.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Are bhai par abhi to mumbai maharashtra main hi hain naa. To tu kyu dimag ka dahi kar raha hai? Even pakistan was once a part of india. But now it is now a different country. Now you can't go to pakistan and call it india. Its pakistan now. Similarly bombay is Mumbai now. Just like andaman nicobar islands and lakshwadeep islands are separate from india but are a part of india.

You urged praka to speak Hindi as it is the national language. But Hindi wasn't always the national language. It was made our national language after independence. And now you consider Hindi as the national language. Similarly bombay was renamed Mumbai. So now you have call it by that name. Changes do happen. You have to keep up with them. If you don't accept the name Mumbai, you are no different than praka. He thinks Hindi is imposed on him, you think the name Mumbai is imposed on you.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
You urged praka to speak Hindi as it is the national language. But Hindi wasn't always the national language. It was made our national language after independence. And now you consider Hindi as the national language. Similarly bombay was renamed Mumbai. So now you have call it by that name. Changes do happen. You have to keep up with them. If you don't accept the name Mumbai, you are no different than praka. He thinks Hindi is imposed on him, you think the name Mumbai is imposed on you.
as i said bombay got its name in 1995 from 1947 even before till 1995 it was called bombay - a cosmopolitan name a name that reflected an international city but all of a sudden some political party with an agenda to make a vote bank and unite the so called "marathis" decided to get the name changed to mumbai why because it sounds more marathi; mumbai does not belong to marathis that is what my point is, yes mumbai unfortunately is a part of maharashtra (there are loud voices of getting a separate govt. for only mumbai) but that does not mean that it all of a sudden becomes the propety of a select caste; the essence around which mumbai has grown is not marathi but cultural diversity mumbai is the city of dreams and not a city of marathis. yes the change of name is imposed and that too because of political gains of uniting the "marathis" to be honest shiv sena and mns together are maligning the name of marathis. What im trying to tell u is that mumbai is an island city which has grown on its migrant population and not grown only on marathis

mediator

Technomancer
^Hehe..

Neways, I wont be surprised if 2morrow this sick regionalism is played down to the core. People of Pune hating people of mumbai, goa Vs Pune etc and some Raj thakareys asking that more preference shud be given to the people of Pune instead of those belonging to Goa/Bombay!! WTH :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom