MSi GX400 Gaming notebook Review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaustubh4evr

Right off the assembly line
Ok this is an review bout an 14.1 inches gaming notebook from MSi.
I am writing this because the company really doesn't promote to well bout this red hot babe.

The Killer Config:-

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Processor & Cache:-[/FONT]Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor 2.0 Ghz
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chipsets:-[/FONT]Intel®PM45+ICH9M
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]System Memory:-[/FONT]4 GB DDR2 667/800
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LCD[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Display:-[/FONT]14.1 "TFT LCD Display 1024x800
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Graphics:-[/FONT]nVIDIA Geforce 9600M GT, 256MB DDR3 VRAM
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Audio[/FONT]:-HD Audio, 2/4 Stereo speakers
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HDD:-[/FONT]320GB SATA (5400RPM)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Optical Drive:-[/FONT]DVD Super Multi(Optriac)/ Blu-ray(optional)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Webcam:-[/FONT]1.3M
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Communication Port:-[/FONT]Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN and Modem Module
Built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN Card / Bluetooth V2.0+EDR
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I/O Port:-[/FONT]Graphics Card Output (15-pin, D-Sub) X 1
USB2.0 Port X 2
Mic-in Port X 1
Headphone Output X 1
Modem Port X 1
LAN Port X 1
PCI Express Card X 1
eSATA (USB Combo) X 1
HDMI X 1

The Look:-

*www.msi.com/uploads/Image/product_img/other/nb/1435/gx400_02.jpg*www.msi.com/uploads/prod_978b8733648b6d9d792f2fdf140163fc.jpg

My review
:-

I have been with this babe for 2 months now and i don't regret buying this over Dell XPS M1730. Ok you may think i am a fool but trust you shall belive me.

As i the stated in the config this babe is a mean machine. Its meant for gamers only who like to keep things lite but not loose any performance.

The Vista Index rating is 5.2(Who Cares)
I have played Crysis, Crysis Warhead at meduim Settings Currently Playing Burnout Paradise and HAWX @ High!

This notebook has a good cooling solution too but still you will feel the heat on ur pad but not much to stop u from playing!

This notebook comes with an Eco mode as it is (Centrino 2).
When ur plugged in u can click Turbo and enjoy overclocking on the go. It reaches around 2300 Hz from 1998 Hz.

While in Battery mode there are modes like Gaming mode, Movie mode, Presentation mode, Office mode, and Turbo Battery mode.
The lowest is 1700 Mhz save power.

The Battery life is good enough can stand upto 3 hrs in Turbo battery mode. Actually can stand well I started playing Burnout when i had 21 % battery left and i played almost 20- 25 mins

Comparing with Dell XPS M1730
OHH!

Dell is rated 5.0 by vista ok thast is due to bad Memory

Processor:-5.7
Memory:-5.0
Graphics-5.9
Gaming Graphics:-5.6
HDD:-5.4

MSi GX400
Rated 5.2

Processor:-5.2
Memory:-5.9
Graphics-5.9
Gaming Graphics:-5.5
HDD:-5.4

So got my point ok i agree dell is an sli model but less games support that tech plus some games don't hav an increase in performance if there any it's bout 20-40% max
Plus it is bulky weighs 3.5 KG+ while GX400 weighs 2.2 Kg Only.

Pricing

MSi Gx400 costs 63000 Rs including tax
while XPS cost 1.29 Lac w/o tax (I would buy an MSi notebook and build an gaming rig from that price LOLZ)

Cons
The models avialable in India are without O.S(Its an Pros to me)
as i save 10 K plus, if they give it would be 32 bit Vista Home Premium.
But if not go for an 64 bit system as it is build for it.

How do i get this babe?

you could contact the dealers Priya Ltd/ Topnotch.
They are not keen much the make you wait for pricing etc.

Or you may contact Mr. Ajay Bajaj, Sainath associates, Kartar mansion 2, Off Lamington road,Opp Police Station,
Mobile no:-9223291871

If he asks who told u bout this notebook/contact say Kaustubh Surve.

There is also another series of this laptop launched i guess GX600 the only difference is it has 512 Mb 9600M GT DDR3 GFX card and the pricing is around 65000Rs not sure.

Some Links

*www.msi-in.com/News/MSI GX400X Reviewed by CHIP.htm
*www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4085
*global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodtmpspec&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=271&cat3_no=&prod_no=1596

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
MSi Gx400 costs 63000 Rs including tax
while XPS cost 1.29 Lac w/o tax (I would buy an MSi notebook and build an gaming rig from that price LOLZ)
Dell XPS with similar config costs around 70k. Taking into account Dell's superior product and support quality and MSI's average support structure, I would rather get Dell XPS 15 instead of this MSI laptop
And the XPS that costs 1.3L comes with the following:

17" FullHD display
4GB Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T8300
320GB2 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800M GTX with NVIDIA® SLITM Technology
16-color, RGB LightFXTM in the front speaker grill
Illuminated tail lights
An illuminated Dell badge
Customizable touchpad back-lightning
Aggressive lines and a high-tech hydrographic pattern
Multiple color options, including Sapphire Blue, Smoke Grey and Crimson Red
5.1 channel output with for true surround sound experience with no external decoder required.
Wireless N network card

Optional NVIDIA® SLITM Dual GeForce® 9800M GT with 1GB2 GDDR3 Memory
optional Intel® CoreTM 2 Extreme Processor X9000 (2.8GHz/800 FSB/ 6MB Cache)

And the price is totally justified for such monsterous config and it pawns that MSI without mercy.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800M GTX with NVIDIA® SLITM Technology
This one costs Rs. 1,00,000 actually.
And dunno if it's still on sale, or even if it's worth buying, considering it's weight to be 5.8-6 KG.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
it's still available and with 1.3L you get Dual 9800GT I think. yes. it weighs a lot but is a replacement for gaming desktop (for laptop fans) :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
i thibk GX 400 competes with Studio XPS 16.
But GX400 has the edge only in GPU. Everythin else seems crap for a 65k lappy.

it has no comparison with M1730 in performance or pricing. Its in a different league.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Hd4870 is not yet available for laptops. Right?
It is, so is the HD4850, and the HD4870 X2 too, but not in India, and havn't seen any offerrings too with the higher of the three, since lappy makers will not see sense on a power eating moster on a laptop.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
4850 consumes same or less power than a 9800GT[the 65nm ones] AFAIK. and 9800GT SLi is much unefficient than 4850 CF in power consumption and performance.

I got my Dell XPS 1730 M last week and it simply rocks!
I changed the processor from T8300 to T9300 and also added a PhysX accelerator. All games I've tried till now give me 60+ FPS on highest settings.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Silicon Chip
oh i missed ur siggy.
btw ive noticed gr8 ocing potential in laptop GPUs.

my 8600GT in XPS runs smoothly @ 660/1550 from stock 475/1400. Not even most of the desktop 8600GT does thats clocks and 3dm06 scores rose from 4k to 6.3k.

Silicon Chip

Broken In
I got my Dell XPS 1730 M last week and it simply rocks!
I changed the processor from T8300 to T9300 and also added a PhysX accelerator. All games I've tried till now give me 60+ FPS on highest settings.

I dont think GTA IV or Crysis wud give 60 FPS and additionally, I dont like XF or SLI.
It wud hv been lighter, cooler and less power hungry if there was a GTX 260M/280M.
Plus 1.3L is too much for 1730, i wud get a Clevo or even Asus W90 with HD4870 Crossfire for 1.2L and it gets 20k+ in 3D Mark06.

Status
Not open for further replies.