Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The Time Machine (1960) - IMDb
Beautiful & neat movie. The main awesomeness lies in how it makes you feel like you are reading a book. Far better than most of the craps we see today.

This original The Time Machine movie is good. But I really like the 2002 version also. Really love the first half part.

- - - Updated - - -

But no Timetravel movie goes into the grandfather paradox. THey always show the impact being on he same timeline/reality from which our hero/villain had come.

Grandfather paradox? Many movies goes there. Like Back to the Future.
What you mean probably is that, almost none shows multiple timelines. Except the recent Terminator movie. Love it or hate it, it have gone beyond that!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
But no Timetravel movie goes into the grandfather paradox. THey always show the impact being on he same timeline/reality from which our hero/villain had come.

I don't remember Timecrimes had a grandfather paradox. Perhaps you should play Bioshock Infinite.

Predestination is different in that case but the loop is there. It was a bit unrealistic in that sense. Obviously two different characters were used to keep the suspense. There are no multiverses there. If you recall, there was another movie dealing with multiverse Coherence (2013) - IMDb

- - - Updated - - -

What you mean probably is that, almost none shows multiple timelines. Except the recent Terminator movie. Love it or hate it, it have gone beyond that!

Please dude don't bring turminator. Bioshock Infinite is where multiverse is.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I don't think so.

Almost all movies show the change is impacting the current timeline. Do you want to mean we are always shown only the timeline where it impacted rather the one where it did not?!

Its a farfetched idea. How can I be sure of an idea which the movie did not even hint on?

[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], I'm yet to see Timecrimes. About Bioshock, started playing it but could not continue.

But, take Traiangle. It shows one timeline and from the point of view of one protagonist. And it tells, you can't change anything. Whatever you do, your actions don't impact the timeline.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I don't think so.

Almost all movies show the change is impacting the current timeline. Do you want to mean we are always shown only the timeline where it impacted rather the one where it did not?!

Its a farfetched idea. How can I be sure of an idea which the movie did not even hint on?

[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION], I'm yet to see Timecrimes. About Bioshock, started playing it but could not continue.

But, take Traiangle. It shows one timeline and from the point of view of one protagonist. And it tells, you can't change anything. Whatever you do, your actions don't impact the timeline.

In a loop, you cannot change anything. Otherwise it wont remain a loop. It may not look like a loop in the details but the boundaries will form a loop.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Please dude don't bring turminator. Bioshock Infinite is where multiverse is.

So you hated new Terminator movies. :p I do too. But it changed the course of reality of the Terminator franchise.

And about Bioshock Infinite, ok so you did manage me to watch the trailer and add the game on Steam's wishlist. But I thought we were talking about movies here.

There are many movies which shows multiple timelines: Primer, Edge of Tomorrow, Timecrimes, Deja Vu, Source Code, Interstellar and many more.

In Anime, the best example is Steins;Gate.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So you hated new Terminator movies. :p I do too. But it changed the course of reality of the Terminator franchise.

And about Bioshock Infinite, ok so you did manage me to watch the trailer and add the game on Steam's wishlist. But I thought we were talking about movies here.

There are many movies which shows multiple timelines: Primer, Edge of Tomorrow, Timecrimes, Deja Vu, Source Code, Interstellar and many more.

In Anime, the best example is Steins;Gate.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow, Timecrimes, Source Code, Interstellar.

Steins;Gate is in my collection. Will watch.

We were talking about concept. Bioshock Infinite shows the greater implications of it. I think I spoiled the game for you :/

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
In a loop, you cannot change anything. Otherwise it wont remain a loop. It may not look like a loop in the details but the boundaries will form a loop.

I'm not getting your point but I do agree with you here.

But, are we assuming that time exists in two ways... in-a-loop and not-in-a-loop.

Traingle and all otehr movies talk about two different kind of time. They can be put in same genre "Time-travel" but obviously not similar concept. Triangle sure considers Time differently than others did.

- - - Updated - - -

No, not multiple timelines.
Only one timeline. Main motto is to change the fate of one timeline in however many attempts.
No parallel story running to show fate of multiple timelines.

Anyway, the changes we are talking about...that would not be common for all. Right?!
I time-travelled. Changed some events in past which created alternate reality where the changes are shown.
But this is my alternate reality, right? The timeline from where I actually came is intact for others as they did not travel with me.

They are heading to a definite fate
For me, even though I'm now in my own timeline I'm also heading to a definite fate.
Nowhere a loop is created.

Loop would have been in picture if my actions failed to create a dent in the timeline I came from.
Its like "Final Destination" movies...you would die for sure, if not in the aeroplane but with in freak accident for sure.

But death is finite for everyone, however many timelines you create. So, death is the ultimate loop I guess.

But, if you died in a road accident and someone time-travelled and saved you in his/her timeline and then you die of cancer in the age of 90 instead of accidental death at the age of 20. In that case you are dead in your timeline and alive in this person's timeline.

Oh, fcuk this...I'm out. You guys continue.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I'm not getting your point but I do agree with you here.

But, are we assuming that time exists in two ways... in-a-loop and not-in-a-loop.

Traingle and all otehr movies talk about two different kind of time. They can be put in same genre "Time-travel" but obviously not similar concept. Triangle sure considers Time differently than others did.

Can you change the outcome in Predestination ? He knew about it before and tried to change it but couldn't.

Tell me more about different kind of time in both movies. I am interested to know.

- - - Updated - - -

But death is finite for everyone, however many timelines you create. So, death is the ultimate loop I guess.
In predestination he already knew the outcome at the end.

The only thing that can change the outcome is a bifurcation at any decision (variables). But then that will need multiverse theory.

Check this video (Quantum Suicide):

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I got to watch "Back to the Future III" yesterday and I wonder if someone can answer my query.

Doc hides the time machine in some location on Septembet 1, 1885 - Check
Marty in 1955 gets the time machine from the location mentioned on the letter - Check
Marty in the 1955 time machine goes back to September 2, 1885 - Check
Marty has the 1955 time machine's fuel line broken and then finds the Doc - Check

If I am not mistaken, After Marty goes back to 1885, Shouldn't there be two time machines in that timeline? The one in which Marty comes from 1955(broken fuel line) and the one which Doc hides the previous day (i.e on September 1, 1885, with a burnt circuit).

Why can't Doc just use one time machine as a spare and repair the other one?

Is this a plot-hole? Anyone else noted it?

Even in the climax, I was expecting the Doc to arrive in that other time machine and explain Marty about how they forgot about the other one. But, he arrived in a train rather. :p

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I got to watch "Back to the Future III" yesterday and I wonder if someone can answer my query.

Doc hides the time machine in some location on Septembet 1, 1885 - Check
Marty in 1955 gets the time machine from the location mentioned on the letter - Check
Marty in the 1955 time machine goes back to September 2, 1885 - Check
Marty has the 1955 time machine's fuel line broken and then finds the Doc - Check

If I am not mistaken, After Marty goes back to 1885, Shouldn't there be two time machines in that timeline? The one in which Marty comes from 1955(broken fuel line) and the one which Doc hides the previous day (i.e on September 1, 1885, with a burnt circuit).

Why can't Doc just use one time machine as a spare and repair the other one?

Is this a plot-hole? Anyone else noted it?

Even in the climax, I was expecting the Doc to arrive in that other time machine and explain Marty about how they forgot about the other one. But, he arrived in a train rather. :p

Well, dude you are confused. Let me try to answer it:
In one line, the answer is that there weren't two Delorean. The Delorean which Doc hid in the cave on Sep 1, 1885 was the same one which Marty found out in 1955. You can't use one Delorean to fix the other. That would make a mess of space-time continuum as they know it. The Delorean in 1955 was the same Delorean that was hid in 1855. If they take the Delorean out to fix it, then there would be no Delorean in 1955.

In other words, for Marty to find the Delorean in 1955, the Delorean that was hid in 1955 must be intact. If they tried to do that, what you said, that would have created another timeline and it probably would be messed up.
I hope I was able to explain.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Well, dude you are confused. Let me try to answer it:
In one line, the answer is that there weren't two Delorean. The Delorean which Doc hid in the cave on Sep 1, 1885 was the same one which Marty found out in 1955. You can't use one Delorean to fix the other. That would make a mess of space-time continuum as they know it. The Delorean in 1955 was the same Delorean that was hid in 1855. If they take the Delorean out to fix it, then there would be no Delorean in 1955.

In other words, for Marty to find the Delorean in 1955, the Delorean that was hid in 1955 must be intact. If they tried to do that, what you said, that would have created another timeline and it probably would be messed up.
I hope I was able to explain.

Got it now. I never thought it this way. Thanks for explaining. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hunterrr (are the number of 'r' correct?) 7.8/10

First half is boring, stretched and suffers from bad editing.
Second half is neat, well crafted and shows more control over subject.

Climax shows over-confidence and thus unnecessary "could have happened" scenes. Did not appreciate those at all. Totally breaks the momentum.

Apart from all these, a different subject, comical at most times (girls might just find it as "art of perversion").

Well acted, well directed.

Must watch for sure.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Can anyone give feedback on these two movies?

Bunny the Killer Thing (2015) - IMDb

and

The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon (2008) - IMDb

- - - Updated - - -

and this,

*www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/

quan chi

mortal kombat
They live
Its a good one time watch. From the start to middle it shows promise & is interesting however after that it just goes down. The climax too could have been more dramatic or energetic but it just ends.
The idea (behind the story) was really good but towards the end they just couldn't hold it together.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Can someone tell me the actual viewing order for star wars? ( I thought i had seen it posted some where here a while back. Not able to find it now)

Niilesh

Padawan
I agree that "Traiange" is different than any otehr time travel movie out there.

All time travel movies tell your intrusion can have impact on future but Triange says nothing can be changed.
IDK, if this is what sam was saying.
almost every movie tells nothing can be changed(only movie i remember that doesn't is terminator)

- - - Updated - - -

Triangle has nothing common between predestination and TimeCrimes.
Well i watched it long time ago so i might be wrong but it was just the fact that after watching those movies you understand what is happening in movie before say for someone who hasn't.

Niilesh

Padawan
Ex Machina (2015)- 8.5/10
Must Watch

K-PAX (2001)- 8/10
Must Watch

Melancholia (2011) - 6.5/10
Not sure if i understood the concept of the movie

Time Lapse (2014)- 8/10

Artificial Intelligence (2001)- 7/10

Cloud Atlas (2012)- 6.5/10

Cloverfield (2008) - 7.5/10