Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Btw, since 1 hour of that planet was equal to 7 years of earth time.. as per my rough calculations...
In each second 17 earth hours used to pass! :shock: :hyper: :blackeye:

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
hmmm so now we can say that once people die they can access or gain ability to travel through blackhole/wormhole, hence when they appear as ghost and things moves without (paranormal),it means once people die, they leave their body and take an invisible or micro form (Sukshma sharir) and go to fifth dimension or in singularity..

so ghost do exist and paranormal things happens, but we dont know how to prove it

so all Chamatkars we have heard so far about gods and people flying in sky in mythology must be real, even the teleportation also.

if one can have access to 5th dimension he can do all these things right ??????

- - - Updated - - -

its scary man,

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I just can't over the fact.. that one "Tick" .. one second, one flash, and 17 Hours is gone! WUUUTTT?? :|

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
^yep. That's basically the science of interstellar.

and that is also the real science i guess, i was looking for answer for long long time about all this things, and i think this movie answers to some of that questions

why ? is it cause soul cant be set free even after death ? :|

yes, its about getting too much power after Death, yes Death is not the destination of soul, Moksha is, Death is just a halt in micro (suksha) world

and i am happy soon science will prove after death stuff also, the answer lies in space

Hrishi

Couldn't resist the thread any longer so Saw the movie yesterday !
Awesome! It's not obfuscated & confusing as many claim...instead its more or less thought challenging and puts thousands of questions to you!! I saw the movie , then read an explanation about it. Seems fair enough to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of curiosity and logic based on the hypothesis used in the movie , can we draw a conclusion that Everything is already defined , and we are just in a loop , which progresses on a dimension called time.?
I feel the plot could also have used time-travel concept , but never mind.....that would be too much adding to the intense linearity already proposed.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Everything IS defined. But there is no way you get to know in advance "what" is defined. Hence you can't just sit down and "hope" things will play out on its own. Cause unless you try you won't know if it's possible.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
when i was a child, i used to listen to people about god and death, people always said that god lives up in the deep sky, called "Swarga" and when one dies they go to other world deep in space called "Parlok, Tamlok, Vainkuth" etc.

now its very much scientifically clear, that something is there in space, hence that is why in our ancient civilization they talked about all this things about god living in space etc. now more interested in all those puranas and scriptures, they are hiding some answers

Gollum

Collector
Interstellar in one line--

A crop burning super-genius girls father who is the only space-farmer in the Earth when all the vaccum cleaners are gone, jumps into a blackhole to find X=? in a rigged equation made by Alfred, comes back in the future to scare his little daughter, only to surprise her with the worst but most invaluably ticking watch to save humanity, aaaand also his dumb son from fighting with her sister for no apparent reason.

Very nice summary.
Gollum likes

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Here is another thought (also go through comments)

=====================================
Interstellar Sucks Harder Than Its Black Hole
---------------------------------------------
Nolan's latest sci-fi movie is a mess covered in psuedo-intelligence.
-Chandrakant 'CK' Isi

Interstellar is a big mess coated in pretentious geekyness. - See more at: Interstellar Sucks Harder Than Its Black Hole | TechTree.com

Interstellar Sucks Harder Than Its Black Hole | TechTree.com

===================================

DISCLAIMER : I have not watched this movie yet.

I do wonder why all these psudo-intellectuals argue about science in a movie which by definition is fictional ?!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^hmm ok
but that article has a bunch of mistakes too, some in science, and some in understanding what was shown in the movie
too bored to list all that now.

- - - Updated - - -

now its very much scientifically clear, that something is there in space, hence that is why in our ancient civilization they talked about all this things about god living in space etc. now more interested in all those puranas and scriptures, they are hiding some answers

If you want something more recent try the books by Fritjof Capra or Choa Kok Sui. The Tao of Physics outlines the parallels between ancient mysticism and modern science.

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Frickin Big Hero 6 beat Interstellar at US box office . Now I feel the pain of DC guys when MCU movies beat them :D :)) ....

Still , Everything that can happen Will happen .
Of course it did, also half of American people do not believe in evolution.

International markets, specially markets like China, Korea, UK, Interstellar rocked all out.

Hrishi

All those who are cribbing about goofs , may have forgotten that this is not a science documentary but instead is a Sci-Fiction movie meant to be enjoyed. Is that hard enough to digest ?

tkin

Back to school!!
Interstellar: 9/10

Before I write this review, I want to make one thing clear. I am a fan of Mr. Nolan. Not a nolanite as some would say but I do like his work. I also hated TDKR. He is not beyond criticism.

I went the second day, apparently Calcutta has a huge enough Nolan fan base that even premium tickets were sold out.

As the movie started the first thing that I noticed is the haunting pipe organ coming to life. I told myself that the music would be good, not the thrashing of M.O.S. And what more to expect from a space opera, it instantly reminded me of Mass Effect, far fetched? Yes, but I hoped and wasn't disappointed.

The movie started slowly, really slowly, there I was expecting to blast off into space at hyperspeed but bound to earth looking at the not so exciting lives of the characters. Little did I know that these tidbits would play a major role later.

Then came the visuals, with the ever so beautiful pipe organ. The movie peaked up speed. Then the theories of relativity started to bear its ugly fangs. I went with a lady friend who had zero idea about physics. But the gigantic waves and emotional scenes kept her hooked. The scenes peeked my interest as I was comparing them mentally with what I knew about the science. A lot fit into place, a lot tried to squeeze in. But nothing seemed impossible(ftl drives in start wars?).

The last part shook me up a bit, but it wasn't impossible. I was acquainted with M theory, and that theory allows higher dimensions, the representation was pure fantasy, but then again I didn't buy a ticket to watch a Science documentary.

Overall I loved the movie, the music, the acting, the scale of the artifacts. I watched it three times, then I read the book(below). Will go again at least once more to understand the science a bit more.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another thought (also go through comments)

=====================================
Interstellar Sucks Harder Than Its Black Hole
---------------------------------------------
Nolan's latest sci-fi movie is a mess covered in psuedo-intelligence.
-Chandrakant 'CK' Isi

Interstellar Sucks Harder Than Its Black Hole | TechTree.com

===================================

DISCLAIMER : I have not watched this movie yet.

I do wonder why all these psudo-intellectuals argue about science in a movie which by definition is fictional ?!
That guy is as uneducated as I had ever seen giving a review. He copied some stuff from the internet, but he didn't read the damn science.

A lot of you had asked some questions regarding the science. Please read this book: Amazon.com: The Science of Interstellar (9780393351378): Kip Thorne, Christopher Nolan: Books
It explains the science beautifully.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow never knew that they have mentioned indian tech and something related to India, i think success of many of the ISRO missions have made them to give more important to Indian technologies.. at last something to be proud of as indian

- - - Updated - - -

and i found this

ISRO job aspirant mentions ?Understood Interstellar? as skill in resume | The UnReal Times
Unreal times should stick to political satires. It high time they bite the bullet and die a painful death.

- - - Updated - - -

hey cool nice dissections of Interstellar. The movie was not very scientific. It is possible to know the atmospheric compositions of planets with the technology we have, without actually having to go there. Scouting out habitable ones wouldn't require the effort they put in. They showed things bending because of high gravity, but they did not show how light behaves at relativistic speeds. If your fingers are appearing to bend, then the colours would have shifted too. They totally mis interpreted murphy's law, and that is not even science. It does not say anything that can happen will happen, it is specifically about things going wrong, and the statement is anything that can go wrong, will. That is it, there is no other interpretation. They did dumb down the movie, glossed over the magic-science, but at least they tried a bit and it's groundwork for other film makers who might be brave enough to make more hard sci fi films. There was really no point to the story, but it was beautiful, powerful, visually stunning and went right for the feels. Juggling the human condition and science can be tough to pull off, and these guys did an ok job. The rules of how a camera should move in space was totally rewritten by Gravity, and the grounded, horizontally oriented camera work in the space sequences seem primitive. The robots were well done though, a progress from Odyssey and Moon.

Forget science, the movie is not consistent with it's own rules
How come Brand did not age? Since she did not go into the black hole, she should have aged a lot more compared to Cooper. The O'Neill Cylinder must have been much, much larger, this looked like a small curved neighborhood, not even a station. Love as a 5th dimensional artefact - lulzk. How come the signals were one way through the wormhole, there is no reason for that. It seems to be sending exactly the amount of information required to take the plot forward, and as per the convenience of the story. Pan dimensional beings/ evolved humans interacting with our space and our time and all they can do is drop a few books? Yeah right. What did Tars see within the black hole because he got the equations to send it back, something totally different from what Cooper saw. And the equation, what exactly did Murph solve, especially when the equation was already solved. Sending complex communications in morse or binary manually can take a lot of time, the signals seem to compact for such methods. It would have been a terribly cumbersome process even if they did it. The future evolved humanity could have definitely done more to help out mankind with the technology they were shown to have. Donno what kind of wormholes they were showing, but the types that allow you to actually travel through should theoretically be possible through time as well, and would not have all the exotic special fx things in a tunnel, would be more like a portal or a doorway. No reason for the humans to go with Plan A and the Robots executing Plan B
How come Brand did not age? Since she did not go into the black hole, she should have aged a lot more compared to Cooper:

When the Endurance passed very close to the Blackhole, coupled with its massive speed, time slowed down severely. Both Brand and Cooper passed 50+ years as compared to earth.

A. Brand: Cooper fell into the Blackhole, stopping time for him. Brand continued to Edmund planet. When Brand came out of the gravity field 50+ years or even more(actually 50+ passed when they slingshotted out of the Blackhole's critical orbit, residual gravity field will add some more to it as well) had passed in earth. Also note that at this time the Endurance is moving at massive speeds, guess around c/2 where c is lightspeed in vacuum. That speed is created by the effect of the slingshot. Now speed affects time just like gravity does. So we get further slowing till she reaches Edmund planet. So total ~80yrs had passed on earth.

B. Cooper: He falls into the blackhole, as he does time slows for him further till he crosses the event horizon. Note that Brand and Cooper are now aging similarly till Cooper comes so close to the blackhole that time almost stops for him. Now brand is aging faster. But she is in cryosleep and as a result she did not age fast and turn into a hag(ending would have sucked bad). Cooper falls into the tesseract. Then the rest is another big discussion.

C. Murph: Time flows normally for her. She gets the data when she is around 35yrs old, from the future. By the time she had solved the equation and launched humanity towards saturn Brand had come out of the timeslip zone and cryosleep and landed on Edmund planet. Cooper is back to normal timezone and near Saturn.

The O'Neill Cylinder must have been much, much larger, this looked like a small curved neighborhood, not even a station.
The surface is small, but inside the wall the space is huge, they can park spacecrafts as well. Enough for the already dwindling population of earth, and multiple stations as well.

Love as a 5th dimensional artefact - lulzk
Cooper used love to predict that someday Murph will pick up that watch, only way to communicate data successfully. He never used it to navigate the tesseract. He used the arm boosters for that.

Pan dimensional beings/ evolved humans interacting with our space and our time and all they can do is drop a few books?
The laws of nature does not allow to go back in time, you can send signals but cannot go back. Powerful gravitational waves would have destroyed the planet, remember what it did to Cooper's ranger in earth?

What did Tars see within the black hole because he got the equations to send it back, something totally different from what Cooper saw.
Data from Outfalling singularity, TARS didn't only see but analyzed the data. Must have had some special sensors in him.

I believe TARS did not send back equations, but data. Data to solve equations. Almost every equation in Physics depend on constants and variables. Finding them is critical. Data sent by TARS can determine those constants/variables, thereby eliminating incorrect solutions. Lets say you have equation x+y=5. This equation has infinite number of solutions. If you know y then this has only one solution. For constants I can name a few like Planck's Constant etc.

Donno what kind of wormholes they were showing, but the types that allow you to actually travel through should theoretically be possible through time as well, and would not have all the exotic special fx things in a tunnel, would be more like a portal or a doorway.
Yes, a wormhole can allow you to travel across time as well, specially if one of its end is near a strong gravitational field. But such an wormhole is likely to collapse: Chronology protection conjecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The depiction of wormhole is correct. Space is 3 dimensional, if you are going to thread through it, you have to thread all three dimensions. All theory though.

- - - Updated - - -

And given that cooper was given options to communicate with daughter in different times, it was absolutely cruel intentions by "them" to move cooper 50yrs further ahead in time to put around saturn. it sounds absolute intentional. :/

few more possible plot holes noticed :

when they are standing before thw WH, they could see stars from other side. so, if light could pass through, then why can't other em radio waves? they should have been able to send their data from other side. (in more recent sifi shows, wormholes are always shown bidirectional)

unless millers planet was very very near, and rise of time distortion curve was steep (which did not look like should be from looking at the distance between millers planet and gargantula) they should have taken very very long time to even reach the planet in the eye of outside world, even if the distance is considerably small. but not sure about this, when speed of light is ralative, position of planet goes relative as well - complex stuff.
The beings cannot send Cooper back in time. They can send him at the exact moment he fell into the Blackhole. You cannot go back in time, visualize it? Yes, but cannot go back physically.

When the ship was close to MIller's planet, the gravitational warping of space could have scattered the signals so it didn't make its way back.

The infinite fall happens only at horizon, the light redshifts continuously till its no longer detectable. But it does not happen even at the critical orbit.

Gollum

Collector
Interstellar: 9/10

How come Brand did not age? Since she did not go into the black hole, she should have aged a lot more compared to Cooper:

That's is why they did not show brand and cooper meeting in the end of the movie.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
put spoilers friends... some of you are revealing plot

This thread was created for the "sole purpose to discuss" the movie. Do you want "Every" post to be put in "spoiler" since almost every post have spoilers. :lol:

And boy, lot of reading ahead of past few posts when I reach home today!!

Gollum

Collector
This thread was created for the "sole purpose to discuss" the movie. Do you want "Every" post to be put in "spoiler" since almost every post have spoilers. :lol:

And boy, lot of reading ahead of past few posts when I reach home today!!

really? tldr anyone? anyone?

Top Bottom