Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

quan chi

mortal kombat
I have watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Now the ending makes "somewhat" sense. So Nolan stole the idea from 2001? Or he gave him a tribute?

I think "inspiration" is the word we should use here (Bollywood has abused this word so much.). 2001: a space odyssey inspired many movies. It is one of them. BTW 2001 is still the best (well of course if you have the patience). Rest of the movies are commercial version or toned down version of that movie.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think "inspiration" is the word we should use here (Bollywood has abused this word so much.). 2001: a space odyssey inspired many movies. It is one of them. BTW 2001 is still the best (well of course if you have the patience). Rest of the movies are commercial version or toned down version of that movie.

Looking at movies like Moon, Mission to Mars and Contact I can see what you mean here but I was talking explicitly about the last scene of Interstellar which Anorion was talking about in Post 178.

Anyway, about this villanelle:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I was thinking what exactly does these lines mean. I encountered this wiki article which shook me a bit. It is a villanelle written by Dylan Thomas which is used many times in pop culture. For eg, Doctor Who, Independence day, in game Assassin's Creed and in many other series and shows.

Since these lines serve as an underlying theme in the movie, it must be telling something grand, which I was unable to comprehend. Or does it simply meant in the context of movie that "Earth was at the verge of dying and human's destiny was to find a new home", which it was?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep. it applies to all of humanity
Like the end of humans, fight against it... the same way a form of it was used in Independence day.

This movie taught me many things.

1. Agent smith was right humans are like viruses.
2. Now we know who hit newton's head with an apple.(Higher dimensional beings)
3. Americans are frauds & terrible liars. (appolo mission was a hoax) Please don't believe them unless you want to turn up like russia.
4. Father can be younger than his daughter.(Next time if anybody says your answer is funny & of course wrong. Hit him & tell him he is not intelligent enough to understand the solution)
5.Even in future farmers will remain uneducated.

tkin

Back to school!!
what ? those "future" being could create a wormhole near saturn's orbit, could take a living human being to the centre of BH in 1 piece and push energy or gravity - to the past behind a book shelf - and they cant travel to past ? i thought they could do that. :lol:

i think they caught the signal from miller planet - enough to know it's atmospheric condis were eligible for human habitat, but dont remember for sure,

not sure about redshift thinggy, i was telling about outward light speed vs miller planets orbital speed. they did not reach there in 1 hr, anyways, say light takes 2 months to reach the space ship from there means, they could only see the planets position from 2 months back...... basically they would be chasing the planet's ghost to reach there like that.
They are 5D beings, they cannot communicate with 3D beings, to them time is infinite, not bound to anything. They cannot find the location/time in infinite spacetime to communicate with Humans.

No, light does not take 2 months to reach the Endurance from Miller's planet. Speed of light is constant in vacuum. Only thing that effects it is Gravity which actually bends space. Even in the bend space light moves at constant speed. The planet is not close enough to the blackhole for light to behave that way, it might take a few milliseconds extra but not as much as 2 months.

Take for example the Sun, it only bends space by a tiny amount to increase the diameter of the spacetime curve by 50 km, ONLY 50km.

- - - Updated - - -

What I didn't understand was that how did tars and cooper came back to the ship from blackhole.
I mean how the hell did he end up near Jupiter from Blackhole.

Apparently if the Blackhole vanished , then so did Gargantua ...and thereby the planets sorrounding Gargantua are also pretty much dead , as they were living off Gargantua's energy.
Wonder , how did they came back.
Couldn't find a justification for it.
Gargantua = Black Hole =/= Worm Hole

Gargantua is not the wormhole, its no way connected to the wormhole at all. The tesseract closed around Cooper and transported him to the wormhole and back to saturn. Its the tessaract that carried cooper through the wormhole, remember the blinding light when cooper was traversing through it at the end?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
3. Americans are frauds & terrible liars. (appolo mission was a hoax) Please don't believe them unless you want to turn up like russia.

Ahh nooope. In the future dystopian society where some books are banned, it was propoganda so that people don't think about space travel. This was done to show that the future government controlled the people by making them believe that Americans didn't go to the moon by calling it faked to bankrupt Russia. This is the exact opposite of what the movie intended to show. At least that's what the movie was showing, whether or not Americans really sent astronauts to the moon is another discussion, and not commenting on that.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
That switch between some mysterious "them" or godly interference in human activities to Humans taking control of their own destinies, and future humans saving themselves and their past was the point of Interstellar
So in a way, Nolan answers the questions posed by 2001 and turns the movie around.

Read this article? The Monoliths Have Faces: Interstellar Answers 2001: A Space Odyssey
Talks beautifully about the similarities and differences b/w Interstellar and 2001. So yes you are true.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Looking at movies like Moon, Mission to Mars and Contact I can see what you mean here but I was talking explicitly about the last scene of Interstellar which Anorion was talking about in Post 178.
Ok..then yes it has similarities towards the ending.

Ahh nooope. In the future dystopian society where some books are banned, it was propoganda so that people don't think about space trav...
I think he is joking.:lol:

Hrishi

They are 5D beings, they cannot communicate with 3D beings, to them time is infinite, not bound to anything. They cannot find the location/time in infinite spacetime to communicate with Humans.

No, light does not take 2 months to reach the Endurance from Miller's planet. Speed of light is constant in vacuum. Only thing that effects it is Gravity which actually bends space. Even in the bend space light moves at constant speed. The planet is not close enough to the blackhole for light to behave that way, it might take a few milliseconds extra but not as much as 2 months.

Take for example the Sun, it only bends space by a tiny amount to increase the diameter of the spacetime curve by 50 km, ONLY 50km.

- - - Updated - - -

Gargantua = Black Hole =/= Worm Hole

Gargantua is not the wormhole, its no way connected to the wormhole at all. The tesseract closed around Cooper and transported him to the wormhole and back to saturn. Its the tessaract that carried cooper through the wormhole, remember the blinding light when cooper was traversing through it at the end?
but to create a worm-hole , there must be two black holes , right ? Two V's inverted onto each other allowing a passage.

tkin

Back to school!!
but to create a worm-hole , there must be two black holes , right ? Two V's inverted onto each other allowing a passage.
No, though Blackholes create singularities but they are not needed to create wormholes. In fact wormholes create by blackholes would be impossible to traverse because of the event horizon, they would instantly collapse and once you go inside you cannot come out.

For a wormhole that you can traverse you need is a naked singularity, which is impossible in nature as stated in the movie.

Modern theories say wormholes that are very very tiny in size constantly form in our universe and they get destroyed instantly. What you need is Negative mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to stabilize the wormhole so that it cannot collapse on itself. The repulsion of negative mass(positive mass attracts through gravity, negative mass repulses through anti gravity both of which are hypothetical) pushes the walls of the wormholes apart to keep it open. Sort of like stents that are given to heart patients with blocked arteries, to keep the arterial walls from closing in.

- - - Updated - - -

so you mean there were two black-holes in that galaxy ?
Nope, well there was two, but not for the reason you think.

There was a second black hole near Gargantua which must have been used by cooper to slow down his spaceship as it reached Miller's planet, by which time it was going almost 50% of lightspeed(according to calculation). In the movie Cooper says, just when they started talking about problems going to Miler's planet, that he can swing around a neutron star to decelerate, they actually needed something bigger, a small size black hole(~10000 solar masses.)

Blackhole was not needed for wormhole.

tkin

Back to school!!
wait so two blackholes
and a wormhole

have to read that book
Its a must read, not just for the movie but for a good idea about the cutting edge of theoretical physics. The book talks about everything from Relativity to M-Theory.

The smaller blackhole/s are needed to slow down the spacecraft when they are travelling very fast(>50% lightspeed), once during arrival at Miller's planet and once during arrival at Edmund's planet by Brand. They are called IMBH or Intermediate Mass Black Hole with ~10,000 solar masses weight compared to ~100 million solar masses weight of Gargantua which is a SMBH or Super Massive Black hole.

PS: The Science of Interstellar - Flipkart - Too damn expensive.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ so which means the black holes has high gravity pull which slows the fast travelling objects is it? Just like they want to suck things up?

tkin

Back to school!!
^ so which means the black holes has high gravity pull which slows the fast travelling objects is it? Just like they want to suck things up?
It works both ways. Black holes can speed up well as slow down objects that are cruising along their critical orbits.

Top Bottom