i'm installing 8 operatin system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
If you are looking for a reply from kalpik, you can always PM him :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
What reply are you looking forward to from me? :-S

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kalpik said:
What reply are you looking forward to from me? :-S

i wanted Zeeshan Quireshi reply... thx for ur concern :)

kaustav_geek said:
@vish

Don't spam. Always remember what eddie has said... If you want help from a particular member, just PM him. He'll most probably get to you.

u dope... i'm not a newbie to spam here. i just wanted my query solved. instead of starting a new thread for the same.

Last edited:

Vivek788

In the zone
Oh god,I too have 3 distros with Windows seperate,maybe I should reduce to 2 distros maximum and learn and optimize them properly.
Wont ubuntu and debian etch be the best choice?

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Vivek788 said:
Oh god,I too have 3 distros with Windows seperate,maybe I should reduce to 2 distros maximum and learn and optimize them properly.
Wont ubuntu and debian etch be the best choice?

dont, ubuntu has a base of debian... so ubuntu and debian are almost similar... use ubuntu and something else ;)

praka123

left this forum longback
Debian Etch is stable,means it is rock-solid good for servers and corporate uses.U too can use unless u care to check the versions of packages included a little old(but security fixed)
Debian -if u know what differentiates Debian apart from Ubuntu and other distros.U can get Debian running latest softwares if u choose Debian Lenny(testing) apt-pinned with Sid(unstable repo).
I personally run Debian Sid+experimental(apt-pinned)
APT-PINNING how to:
*wiki.debian.org/AptPinning
*jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
^^ ask me,i can help u regarding apt-pinning.
Debian Social Contract
Debian Social Contract

Version 1.1 ratified on April 26, 2004. Supersedes Version 1.0 ratified on July 5, 1997.

Debian, the producers of the Debian GNU/Linux system, have created the Debian Social Contract. The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) part of the contract, initially designed as a set of commitments that we agree to abide by, has been adopted by the free software community as the basis of the Open Source Definition.
*www.us.debian.org/social_contract
*www.us.debian.org/intro/about

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
praka123 said:
Debian Etch is stable,means it is rock-solid good for servers and corporate uses.U too can use unless u care to check the versions of packages included a little old(but security fixed)
Debian -if u know what differentiates Debian apart from Ubuntu and other distros.U can get Debian running latest softwares if u choose Debian Lenny(testing) apt-pinned with Sid(unstable repo).
I personally run Debian Sid+experimental(apt-pinned)
APT-PINNING how to:
*jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
^^ ask me,i can help u regarding apt-pinning.
Debian Social Contract

*www.us.debian.org/social_contract
*www.us.debian.org/intro/about

wat is apt-pinning dude..??

praka123

left this forum longback
APT pinning is a feature which allows administrators to force APT to choose particular versions of packages which may be available in different versions from different repositories. This allows administrators to ensure that packages are not upgraded to versions which may conflict with other packages on the system, or that have not been sufficiently tested for unwelcome changes.
In order to do this, the pins in APT's preferences file must be modified,[2] although graphical front-ends often allow this more simply.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-pinning#APT_pinning

Note: Before you consider 'pinning', you might want to check *wiki.debian.org/htdocs/modern/img/moin-www.png apt-get.org*wiki.debian.org/htdocs/modern/img/moin-www.png backports.org to see if the package you want has been backported to your release. and
Pinning allows you to run certain packages from one version (stable, testing, unstable) without the necessity of upgrading your entire system. However, pulling in packages from "later" distributions are prone to pull in libraries as well, which might have you end up with a system that has the disadvantages of stable (old software), the disadvantages of unstable/testing (security support not as good as stable, bugs) without the advantages of either.
At its most basic level, pinning involves two files, /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences.
src:

^^ read the hw2 fully

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Debian package management has many nifty features that aren't so well known to many of us here. I came across quite a few while reading 'The Debian Book' (am still to finish it though).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vignesh 'The Debian Book' by Open Source press. We had discussed about it in another thread, I started that one thinking about buying the ubuntu book.

Status
Not open for further replies.