i'm installing 8 operatin system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
vish786 said:
how to create a logical drive in linux???

ext2 or ext3?? which should i use??

i asked earlier no one replied so askin again:(
first of all google is ur friend. *google.com/linux
the normal way is to use command-line.
*tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

there are gui-tools available for most distros.
for eg;fedora uses system-config-lvm;check the menus.
I hope u use Ubuntu/Debian too.
In Debian/ubuntu there is lvm2 and u need a patched kernel if u want evms-gui to work.
also check
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=216117

I feel safest is using CLI (vgcreate etc).

This guide shows how to work with LVM (Logical Volume Management) on Linux. It also describes how to use LVM together with RAID1 in an extra chapter. As LVM is a rather abstract topic, this article comes with a Debian Etch VMware image that you can download and start, and on that Debian Etch system you can run all the commands I execute here and compare your results with mine. Through this practical approach you should get used to LVM very fast.
*howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

^this one is a good tutorial for Debian and Ubuntu.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
first thing is live cds or dvds will not hav all the softwares,

secondly if i install on hdd it will b better becoz i can change settings to watever i want, which is not possible if i run live cd/dvd

thirdly live cd may sometimes boot without any problems but if i want to install tat OS then their might be some errors...

fourthly if i use a live cd to run lot of software at a time the system might hang or slow down and applications will take more time to open, but if i install on hdd everything would run faster

fifthly i can install additional softwares and see which OS supports most of the other applications without any problems

sixthly i can learn more things after installing linux on hdd then on live cd/dvd....

seventhly i dont remeber all the things as soon i remember i will post it

tat is why i am installing on hdd rather than using live cd... i am already using live knoppix dvd...

1.) Who told you that ? Sabayon Live DVD packs all the software you'll ever need and you can use all of them from the DVD itself. I ran the Q4 demo off the DVD and it ran as it would run on a Windows installation.

2.)Yes, thats true, however, to get the exact hang and feel of a system, you don't need to customise each and every option. As pointed out by others, you'll have to spare a lot of time and patience.. Psst..psst, once you customise a system fully, you wouldn't wana use the other OS.. Trust me..

3.)Not the case anymore. All the LIVE CDs/DVDs boot and install equally well.

4.)Why do you at all need to run too many softwares at once ? A system crash while multi-tasking is threatening even on a hdd.

5.)That shouldn't be a problem. Almost all the Distros have an installation/packaging manager, so software compatibility won't be an issue since you'll installing softwares using them , most of the time.

6.)Not necessarily. You will bug this forum no less after you install all the OSes rather than running them off a LIVE CD.. As pointed out, GIYF, but you won't listen...

Ok... I might be sounding thrash and meaningless to you at the moment...
Anyway, go ahead with the task. Best of luck....

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kaustav_geek said:
1.) Who told you that ? Sabayon Live DVD packs all the software you'll ever need and you can use all of them from the DVD itself. I ran the Q4 demo off the DVD and it ran as it would run on a Windows installation.

2.)Yes, thats true, however, to get the exact hang and feel of a system, you don't need to customise each and every option. As pointed out by others, you'll have to spare a lot of time and patience.. Psst..psst, once you customise a system fully, you wouldn't wana use the other OS.. Trust me..

3.)Not the case anymore. All the LIVE CDs/DVDs boot and install equally well.

4.)Why do you at all need to run too many softwares at once ? A system crash while multi-tasking is threatening even on a hdd.

5.)That shouldn't be a problem. Almost all the Distros have an installation/packaging manager, so software compatibility won't be an issue since you'll installing softwares using them , most of the time.

6.)Not necessarily. You will bug this forum no less after you install all the OSes rather than running them off a LIVE CD.. As pointed out, GIYF, but you won't listen...

Ok... I might be sounding thrash and meaningless to you at the moment...
Anyway, go ahead with the task. Best of luck....

:D:D:D:D i never knew somebody would answer in tat way.... i cant stop laughin at u:D:D

k... let get to d pt... i am followin wat u guys said i hav decided to install only some 4 OS now the other 4 i am not installin.. i am usin virtualisation on them....

praka123

left this forum longback
Hope U get urself pleased with one distro after "experimentations"
-from an earlier 5-6 OS booting guy.
You will later find that one of the given Linux distros U like and will be getting accustomed with it.
No need for doing this 4-5 or 10 linux distros to boot.
better goto *distrowatch.com and research.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
i never knew somebody would answer in tat way.... i cant stop laughin at u

k... let get to d pt... i am followin wat u guys said i hav decided to install only some 4 OS now the other 4 i am not installin.. i am usin virtualisation on them....

I myself laughed at the post you made looking at the ignorance in the contents.. And a clarification was necessary. Hence ,I tore apart all the arguments made by you in you earlier post. So, there isn't much in it now...If you are what I see you are,then be careful. You have been pissing me off in various threads with no-brainers .... Please, this is a tech community in which every argument must be based on very sound arguments... And people like me and many many more post here just to help others and share knowledge... Not to flame... Your previous post , which I eventually replied to, has been a sort of a n00bish attempt at flaming and arguing.. No offense meant, but its not a good sign brother.....

And one more thing... laughing at others isn't a very nice thing. It does no more than just piss someone off... Tch..tch.... not at all healthy..
Adios~
Have fun....

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kaustav_geek said:
I myself laughed at the post you made looking at the ignorance in the contents.. And a clarification was necessary. Hence ,I tore apart all the arguments made by you in you earlier post. So, there isn't much in it now...If you are what I see you are,then be careful. You have been pissing me off in various threads with no-brainers ....

can u tell me in which thread did i do tat.... i just told u tat ur avatar does not look real to me.... tats it.... so dont get pissed off with sillly things re...

kaustav_geek said:
Please, this is a tech community in which every argument must be based on very sound arguments... And people like me and many many more post here just to help others and share knowledge... Not to flame... Your previous post , which I eventually replied to, has been a sort of a n00bish attempt at flaming and arguing.. No offense meant, but its not a good sign brother.....

i joined this forum so i can also help others and share knowledge and inturn get help if i get stuck with my computing knowledge... i am not here for time pass...:cool:

kaustav_geek said:
And one more thing... laughing at others isn't a very nice thing. It does no more than just piss someone off... Tch..tch.... not at all healthy..

ok i am sorry abt the laugh!!! :(

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
vish786 said:
ned this forum so i can also help others and share knowledge and inturn get help if i get stuck with my computing knowledge... i am not here for time pass...:cool:(
mate , Frankly you seem to be more of a nuisance , you haven't ever installed a single distro n you're trying to install 10 distros at the first try .

do this , instal onlu ubuntu n get some experience with linux , after that you can test other distros .

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
mate , Frankly you seem to be more of a nuisance , you haven't ever installed a single distro n you're trying to install 10 distros at the first try .

do this , instal onlu ubuntu n get some experience with linux , after that you can test other distros .
hey... i hav been using linux right from puc(2003).... knoppix, Elx(i am sure u dont know which linux is this), red hat... i hav already used all these OS from past few years for ur kind info.... so mind ur words

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
vish786 said:
hey... i hav been using linux right from puc(2003).... knoppix, Elx(i am sure u dont know which linux is this), red hat... i hav already used all these OS from past few years for ur kind info.... so mind ur words
oh yeah i forgot i'm talking to a linux guru here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

vish786 said:
guys which partition should i use, ext2 or ext3???

how to create a logical drive in linux??
but the guru doesn't know whether to choose Ext3 over Ext2 or not , or better still how to create partitions in Linux :rolleyes:

vish786 said:
thanks a lot for that great suggestion of urs dude.... which boot loader does ubuntu use???
the guru doesn't also know that LILO has been abandoned my almost all distros n that GRUB is used by all new distros . heck Ubutun was launched in 2004 , so guru must be knowing which boot loader Ubuntu uses , how come he's askin us mortals :rolleyes:

vish786 said:
how to create a logical drive in linux???

ext2 or ext3?? which should i use??

i asked earlier no one replied so askin again:(
guru also doesn't understand simple english , n even after freebird told him to use ext3 he has to ask the same question :rolleyes:

vish786 said:
:D:D:D:D i never knew somebody would answer in tat way.... i cant stop laughin at u:D:D
guru also doesn't seem to have ny manners ;)

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
oh yeah i forgot i'm talking to a linux guru here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i just told i hav been usin linux... u started pullin my leg tellin tat i am guru:D
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
but the guru doesn't know whether to choose Ext3 over Ext2 or not ,
till now i hav been usin only ext2 so i asked which is better;)....
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
or better still how to create partitions in Linux

i had a little idea of creatin logical drive... but never created linux logical drive... becoz i directly mounted windows drive :grin:

if u wanna help me... ur suggestions r always welcome... if u dont want to help then stop bein pain in the ass.... yup one more info dude i already installed mandriva, ubuntu and fedora. now installin slackware.:D

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
vish786 said:
i just told i hav been usin linux... u started pullin my leg tellin tat i am guru:D

till now i hav been usin only ext2 so i asked which is better;)....

i had a little idea of creatin logical drive... but never created linux logical drive... becoz i directly mounted windows drive :grin:

if u wanna help me... ur suggestions r always welcome... if u dont want to help then stop bein pain in the ass.... yup one more info dude i already installed mandriva, ubuntu and fedora. now installin slackware.:D
lolz , no problem mate , was havin just some fun :D :D

btw try KUbuntu too , i think it's good .

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/

Couldn't agree more... :)

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@zeehan quireshi... can u come online as soon as u read this msg... i hav some problem with vmware

cynosure

UbuntuUser
vish786 said:

How come this word was not censored:D:D:D
It always hides when I write this!!

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kalpik said:
^^ You can either download VMWare server from *www.vmware.com or download VirtualBox (recommended over VMWare) from *www.virtualbox.org

Im sure you will figure out everything yourself ;)
which r u usin virtual box or vmware??? which is better according to u???

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
though my HDD is stock full now(200 GB used , thou i'll be backin all that up to dvd's) so i use VMWare now , which is much better n easier . also i mainly learn the command line so even with my pesky 384 MB ram VMWare runs superbly smooth .

which linux OS hav u installed currently in ur system... and tell me whether ur using VMWare or directly booting to the Linux OS????

Status
Not open for further replies.