IIT-JEE problems

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
HELP

Prove that infinite number of triangles can be constructed in either of the parabolas y^2 = 4ax and x^2=4by whose sides touch the other parabola.

My maths teacher has announced Rs. 100 reward to anyone who solves this question in our class. If someone @ TDF helps me to do it, I'll give half of that amount to him. :D (If my teacher keeps his promise)

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^It's a creative problem and you cannot solve it by a single known method. This is the basic problem of science education in India.

Anyway, this is basically the proof of the quadrature of the parabola. The proof is actually very easy, the implications and applications are actually tough.

Think about it a little, you will get the answer.

Last edited:

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I'll give you a hint: Use the fundamental theorem of calculus: Definite integral as limit of a sum. Now what happens when the integral is not limited? It's an infinite series.....;)

I think this should bring you close enough to the answer.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
guys help with these -

*i.imgur.com/1Pf8I.png
*i.imgur.com/TBUPj.png
*i.imgur.com/Att7l.png

the last one i found by using the answers though!

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
A circle and a rectangular hyperbola meet in four points A, B, C and D. If the line AB passes through the centre of the hyperbola, then CD passes through

(a) Centre of The Hyperbola
(b) Centre of The Circle
(c) Mid-Point of the centres of the Circle and Hyperbola
(d) None of These

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Just found this thread. Will be giving Jee in 2013. Will be a regular visitor now :)

@kunal is the answer A ?

Last edited:

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
No.. Answer is B. I don't know the Method. I used a Graphing Calculator to verify the Answer.

*www.desmos.com/calculator/2c30153d73 (AB is 5y+4x=0. CD is passing through centre of the Circle)

Another one...

The tangent drawn from (h,k) to an ellipse x^2/a^2 +y^2/b^2 = 1 touches the circle x^2 + y^2 = c^2, then the locus of (h,k) is

(a) Ellipse
(b) Circle
(c) Parabola
(d) None of These

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
No.. Answer is not parabola... The answer key states that it is Ellipse.. But I don't think so.. I think it should be straight line...

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
The nearest configuration I could find was this:

*www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/35-02/avoiding/Fig4.gif

As for those questions, I am too lazy to solve them now... Seriously, we get too lazy in colleges. :p

OK. Tried that problem. The answer IS (a). ;)

Here's a li'l bit of how:
assembling terms:
*i.imgur.com/CuwCw.png

Now, take e^{y} = t, dy/dx = {1/t} {dt/dx}

Hence;
*i.imgur.com/pLV12.png
Solving from here is using Integrating factor and stuff.

Top Bottom