Help!!! Urgent!!!! Internet Not Working!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
@phreakOutt, SELinux is disabled + eth0 is permitted in the firewall.

@mehulved, u did not tell me which log to look in /var/log

@Nucleas, ifconfig displays a 5-8 line output. how to post it here without copying it to the clipboard ? :p

@Chaitanya, You got it working. Its good. But I can't

I have the foll. opts in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

Code:
BOOTPROTO=none
IPV6INIT=no
IPADDR=123.236.170.84
NETMASK=255.255.254.0
GATEWAY=123.236.170.1

and the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf

but its no use. I get host not found for a FQDN or Network Unreachable for a IP. :( :( :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Check /var/log/messages. Maybe this will work
Code:
grep dhcp /var/log/messages

And post me the nmap result too.

Last edited:
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
No special notice in /var/log/messages. My dad asked a network technician who works in dad's deptt. managing all the networking there; he said the ADSL modem stores the MAC Address of LAN card in its RAM. So when you change computer it requests a new IP from the DHCP server.

I updated libdhcp and libdhcp4client from rpmfind.net via my dad's lappy download and transferring it to my pc. Even after updating its not working. :( :( :(

IS THERE NO SOLUTION TO THIS ????????????

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
*www.indiabroadband.net/reliance-br...link-wireless-router-reliance-broadnet-2.html
Reliance wimax broadband is known to not work with linux...Have they extended this to their wired services??
and I need to obtain the ip address from windows everytime net stops working after half an hour or so...

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
*www.indiabroadband.net/reliance-br...link-wireless-router-reliance-broadnet-2.html
Reliance wimax broadband is known to not work with linux...Have they extended this to their wired services??
and I need to obtain the ip address from windows everytime net stops working after half an hour or so...
If u don't switch off UT300R2 then it won't unless you change the LAN card (or PC).

I think I have no other solution than to dual boot win32sux and Linuxrox on my pc ?

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Yes I have read that, but is it really possible? As for this problem,sorry, I've exhausted all ideas. I would love to see somone solve this, its a great learning experience.

mehaman

Banned
reliance wi-max?I think they may be refreshing(changing) IP lease every 1/2 hour or so.
So,why dont u try restarting dhcp lease service?

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
reliance wi-max?I think they may be refreshing(changing) IP lease every 1/2 hour or so.
So,why dont u try restarting dhcp lease service?

I got it working now using the static IP method. I got the info from my trojan+virus infected win2k installation which I have installed only to know my IP if it changes. :D Installed it with minimum space 3 GB. :D

I am posting this message from Fedora 8. :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@The Unknown, if you can browse stably for an hour, could you post something like a tutorial of what you did in a step wise manner, it will be useful for others.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Try enabling the two "networkmanager" services in the service section and make ur lan controllable by networkmanager!
Works for DHCP users only. It overrides the static IP configuration and I got disconnected due to it yesterday!

Well, the problem is the DHCP lease initially expires in about 5-6 minutes and after sometime it become 2 hours. So, we have to go to win32 every two hours to renew the lease. Duh!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Works for DHCP users only. It overrides the static IP configuration and I got disconnected due to it yesterday!

Well, the problem is the DHCP lease initially expires in about 5-6 minutes and after sometime it become 2 hours. So, we have to go to win32 every two hours to renew the lease. Duh!

Actually you know its funny. There are two DHCP servers working here, one is in your router that assigns the IP to your pc, and the other is at the reliance bb end. Now if your line goes dead after half an hour, all you have to do is reset the router. It (router) will take a new IP from the DHCP server of Reliance BB. There is no need to change the IP of your PC.

What I do not understand is why does Reliance disconnect the line every half an hour? Do they want to discourage people from setting up servers. And more than disconnecting the line, it must be either assigning your IP to another machine (? in rotation), or blacklisting it, forcing your router to take a fresh IP by DHCP.

This is interesting
*broadbandforum.in/reliance-broadband/18314-reliance-broadband-ip-finding-issues-wimax/

There is one thing I can think of, the validity of the IPs can be set in the router.
Are you able to login to your router?
What's the make/model number?
If you can login just go to DHCP and check for IP range, lease time and other parameters. Even better post a screenshot here.

Last edited:
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Do they make u install some software on windows through which u have to renew? :confused:
No. Its the networkmanager of windows! :p (DHCP)
Actually you know its funny. There are two DHCP servers working here, one is in your router that assigns the IP to your pc, and the other is at the reliance bb end. Now if your line goes dead after half an hour, all you have to do is reset the router. It (router) will take a new IP from the DHCP server of Reliance BB. There is no need to change the IP of your PC.

What I do not understand is why does Reliance disconnect the line every half an hour? Do they want to discourage people from setting up servers. And more than disconnecting the line, it must be either assigning your IP to another machine (? in rotation), or blacklisting it, forcing your router to take a fresh IP by DHCP.

This is interesting
*broadbandforum.in/reliance-broadband/18314-reliance-broadband-ip-finding-issues-wimax/

There is one thing I can think of, the validity of the IPs can be set in the router.
Are you able to login to your router?
What's the make/model number?
If you can login just go to DHCP and check for IP range, lease time and other parameters. Even better post a screenshot here.

Tried all of it dude. Its useless. We are going for Tata Indicom postpaid which gives a free static IP for all postpaid users. He came today to see the feasibility and its possible. He'll come tommorrow to talk with dad and book a 128k plan. :)

mediator

Technomancer
^Thats really strange then. On LAN/eth, it shud work flawlessly.

I'm still confused with this reply. Network manager is meant to connect to the best available network only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom