Help!!! Urgent!!!! Internet Not Working!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
I've disabled IPv6 but still the same prob
heres the output of network restart
Code:
 * Reconfiguring network interfaces...                                          There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid with pid 5739
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit *www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:1a:4b:5d:31:fd
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:1a:4b:5d:31:fd
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 220.225.160.3 port 67
send_packet: Network is unreachable
send_packet: please consult README file regarding broadcast address.
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid with pid 134519120
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit *www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:1a:4b:5d:31:fd
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:1a:4b:5d:31:fd
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Why is DHCPDISCOVER running, haven't you disabled dhcp? Please do so and assign a static ip. Also restart the network post the output of your ifconfig

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@chaitanya:the problem is network is unreachable.I am not an expert with n/wing;still it seems that u have to edit the local ip range and/or subnet mask :)

what about the o/p of subnet mask and be clear,are u on fedora?

also,if u have network-manager thing installed on ur distro,why not purge it out?it is for n00b's who cannot do any network settings.

and what is this service?reliance broadnet using a router ? with webbased activation?

anyways observe the o/p of
Code:
route

also acc.to google reliance IP address is like 123.236.x.x or 124.x.x.x etc which is class A afaik :confused: so,In router,u may have to set these esp SUBNETMASK value to things may be.also this VPI/VCI things too needs to be noted.
I think reliance CC must be asked regarding the technical details like VPi/VCi,dhcp range,any other technical info to be done in router.

use subnet calculator to calculate if u know the ip assigned by reliance:
*www.subnet-calculator.com/

I think you should assign 255.128.0.0 as Subnetmask.try! :)

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Praka123 I'd beg to differ. I have a class "A" IP (AirTel), but my subnet mask is still 255.255.255.0
That's the job of any hardware router (or even a linux router :) ) to interface between two different networks. His internal network can be class C and his external can be anything else.

I still feel as you said, its an IP and subnetting problem, that's why I asked for the output of ifconfig above.

I asked for IPv6 to be disabled as Reliance DNS servers may not be configured properly to handle IPv6 requests. Also, if I am not mistaken, if IPv6 is available, the TCP/IP stack preferrably communicates in IPv6 first and then in IPv4.

So it is advisable to
1) Disable IPv6. Use the system network config tool

*img341.imageshack.us/img341/2491/netconfigdhcpak3.th.png

Select your interface, click edit, and uncheck the Enable IPv6 configuration option. Enter static IP 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and save.

2) Then click on manually, type gateway 192.168.1.1, primary and secondary DNS whatever Reliance gives you, or even better, OpenDNS - 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222
Go Next and save your settings

3) In a terminal as root: service network restart

4) ifconfig
and post the output here

For reference: Fedora 8 Network configuration

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
yup.it is the function of h/w router to resolve the different IP classes.but..here the network is unreachable!some way subnetmask thing needs to be edited to correct value.
I think it needs the help of reliance CC to solve areas along with some linux knowledge :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Ok Praka123 lets see. Apparently our man here gets to use the net only at night :) Hope he is able to get to the bottom of this. I wonder though, why he did not have any problems with Fedora 7.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think both @unknown and @chaitanya are facing the same problem and Chatianya is in Ubuntu :). :?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
NucleusKore, maybe it's just a co-incidence that the problem occured at the same time he formatted.
What router do you guys have? Can you telnet into the router and try pinging outside world. Or maybe just open the router page in your browser and check.
Where does DHCP offer come from? ISP or router?
There are 2 points of failure, as I see it, one is ISP=>Router, other is Router=>PC. Check the status of both.
Also, it would be a good idea to get hold of a live cd and try it from there just to eliminate problems with the installed distro.
The Unknown, how did he connect, did he have some dialler?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Also, it would be a good idea to get hold of a live cd and try it from there just to eliminate problems with the installed distro.

Now that's an excellent idea!

Last edited:
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
does it come with a router?esp ut300r2u?u can switch OFF the router and connect again while fedora is running.try if fedora's dhcp system detects the IP .
the simple thing u may have tried before?as root,
Code:
service network restart
I think fedora got a gui for services;right?
also restart dhcp service too.

No use. :( BTW, Reliance gives us an ADSL modem called UtStar....

prob lies with ur system not with ISP.... roflmao

Then how both people are facing the same problem that too in the same city ? I agree that I formatted so some settings may be erased but what about Chaitanya ? :?

I am still wondering how can it be a ISP problem. You said Windows is browsing fine. And since you can log into you router, the only two things left to check are
1. Default gateway (192.168.1.1)
2. Primary and Secondary DNS
3. Driver issues !!! funny but see this

Just see this too

no driver issues as Local network works (between dad's lappy and my Linux box)

system->admin->network *->set it to DHCP settings

on ubunbu -> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

on fedora ->login root: /etc/init.d/network start

or else reboot

btw wats the hostname u gave while installing fedora ?

I gave no DHCP hostname while installing as I did during first time installing F7.

Can you explain how exactly you connect? You have a dialler or something? Any idea?

System Obtains Public IP -> Open web browser and go to reliancebroadband.co.in -> signin to go online

You won't believe I just woke up to post this message, it might just work.

DISABLE IPV6

Goodnight

Its already disabled.

check logs, always.

which log file ? can't find one related to network in /var/log

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Their website just says to use DHCP. Please try a Live distro as mehulved has suggested.

Update:
*ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-208771.html

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
I called up Reliance....asked them whether they had changed anything in the past few days....they said no.
They also said that they dont support static IP

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I called up Reliance....asked them whether they had changed anything in the past few days....they said no.
They do support static IP but you need to pay Rs 2000/yr for one static IP :shock:

@Nucleas, I tried Gentoo 2006.0 (came with digit once). But i wasn't able to get it. It doesn't detect my Lan card.

NOTE- MY LAN CARD IS DETECTED AND WORKING IN FEDORA.

Their website just says to use DHCP. Please try a Live distro as mehulved has suggested.

Update:
*ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-208771.html

The ubuntu link is for BSNL users. There is a guide for BSNL in this forum. The topic here is about RIL.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint

They do support static IP but you need to pay Rs 2000/yr for one static IP :shock:

We were talking about static IPs in the internal network. The IP of the external network is not causing your problem. Assign static IPs, subnet, gateway, DNS as suggested above and try.

The ubuntu link is for BSNL users. There is a guide for BSNL in this forum. The topic here is about RIL.

I gave you the link for the modem, no issues with linux, also to illustrate the live cd option.

praka123

left this forum longback
@chaitanya:dhcp service-=while on livecd-try "sudo /etc/init.d/dhcdbd restart and sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart"
and see the o/p of "route" and ifconfig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom