Help!!! Urgent!!!! Internet Not Working!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Ok baba, I do not have fedora, but I remember my CentOS, its more or less the same, Fedora and RHEL

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
CentOS is much more concentrated on Server systems. Its not as user friendly as Fedora, Ubuntu, other distors whose basic aim is good interface for users.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
OK here it is for Fedora 8
*www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/in...ra_8_installation_guide/ch-networkconfig.html

I am off to sleep. Goodnight.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
I tried the connection on Ubuntu Live CD..didnt work.
I'll try assigning IP manually now.

mediator

Technomancer
CentOS is much more concentrated on Server systems. Its not as user friendly as Fedora, Ubuntu, other distors whose basic aim is good interface for users.
Fedora is quite flexible. So good interface isn't the only basic aim.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Your default gateway is 123.236.170.1, and so your IP should be in that range, in this case it has taken 123.236.170.84
Manually in linux you could assign 123.236.170.[SIZE=+1]2[/SIZE] and onwards
It is fine. The range is from 123.236.170.0 to 123.236.171.255. Calculate it for yourself *www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=A

Have you ever tried it?
Fedora is the testbed for RHEL, there's nothing in RHEL that is absent in Fedora, in terms of software, AFAIK. And CentOS is nothing but RHEL-Red Hat trademarks.

Run nmap on the router to see what ports are open?
And if you're getting IP in 192.168.1.xxx then you aren't getting reply from ISP's DHCP server but some other DHCP server.

Last edited:
OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Static Did not work :mad: :mad: :mad:

It says host not found

My ip did not change since last night from 123.236.170.84 coz i did not switch off the router.

but its no use. doesn't work. :mad:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
It is fine. The range is from 123.236.170.0 to 123.236.171.255. Calculate it for yourself *www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=A

Don't misunderstand me mehulved, see above, I have recommended the same IP (.84). What I meant is that he can assign any from .2 onwards, since .1 is taken by the router.

What I am trying to do here is put the same settings windows DHCP has got as static settings in Fedora. It should browse. He can then update the DHCP module, switch to DHCP and then try again if it takes correctly this time round.

Update: apparently that too failed, now I'm stumped.

[size=+3]The Unknown, please post here the output of ifconfig from a console in your Fedora 8, after you have set it up as I have described above[/size]

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Don't misunderstand me mehulved, see above, I have recommended the same IP (.84). What I meant is that he can assign any from .2 onwards, since .1 is taken by the router.

What I am trying to do here is put the same settings windows DHCP has got as static settings in Fedora. It should browse. He can then update the DHCP module, switch to DHCP and then try again if it takes correctly this time round.

Update: apparently that too failed, now I'm stumped.

[size=+3]The Unknown, please post here the output of ifconfig from a console in your Fedora 8, after you have set it up as I have described above[/size]

man how will i disconnect now? I am browsing the WWW on my dad's lappy. Well, I set all the things as you said.

IP: 123.236.170.84
Gateway: 123.236.170.1

Also IPv6 is disabled. But I still get host not found in Konqueror. Even pinging doesn't work over the command line.

The most funny thing amongst these things is that my LAN card is working coz I can network between my box and lappy.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Don't do it now, do it whenever possible, today or tomorrow. That will give us insight like the ipconfig /all did in Windows.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Just remember that tomorrow, if you are not able to browse in spite of doing all the above, then there could be a driver issue. You can get the driver form here
*www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php
You will have to download the Linux (tg3) driver. Just check if the chipset matches before you download.

Another possibility worth trying is what this user did
*forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171503
adding acpi=off at the grub boot line. You will have to press the key for Other options (I think F6, it will be mentioned in grub) and add the acpi=off at the end

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Just remember that tomorrow, if you are not able to browse in spite of doing all the above, then there could be a driver issue. You can get the driver form here
*www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtreme_desktop.php
You will have to download the Linux (tg3) driver. Just check if the chipset matches before you download.

Another possibility worth trying is what this user did
*forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171503
adding acpi=off at the grub boot line. You will have to press the key for Other options (I think F6, it will be mentioned in grub) and add the acpi=off at the end

I SAID LAN IS WORKING. SO WHERE DID DRIVER ISSUE COME FROM. BTW, THE FEDORAFORUM LINK SAYS THAT HE ENABLED ACPI WHICH IS ENABLED ON MY PC BY DEFAULT. and to solve his problem he switched on acpi.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Anyway, awaiting the ifconfig output today after you key in the settings you got from windows :)

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
@The Unknown-Have you tried turning off SELinux? I had trouble browsing on Fedora 7. Somehow this worked. Let us know if it works for you. Just like Nucleus, this struck to me at 2AM, was a bit sleepy, so didn't post :D

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
YAHOO!!!!!!!!!
It worked at last!
I connected the net in windows....copied ip,gateway address from ipconfig
then manually entered the values in Ubuntu
and voila it worked!!!
Thanks NucleousKore and evryone else who helped!!!!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Thanks for the feedback ChaiTan3, now if you can, update your Ubuntu and see if DHCP updates are available in the list, if yes, update and try DHCP again. Also I think you can file a bug report, will have to ask Praka123 or someone else in the know of these things.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
Have one more prob here. Reliance resets the connection every half an hour i think.
I have to restart for internet to work again....or wait for 5 min or so

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Now does this happen in Linux only or also in Windows? Its a strange one :)
If its there in both I don't think there is anything you can do except call them

Status
Not open for further replies.