[HELP] Display driver crashing/BSOD

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have bought Zotac GT 710. Purpose is to use two monitors I have. Ever since I switched to GT 710 from iGPU, I'm facing issues. I installed latest driver 378.49 the very first day itself. Tried google, and tried some fix but none works for me.
- BSOD
- Crashing (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered)
- Flickering (sometimes)

Tried playing a 4k video (I don't have 4k display), there is so much tearing. My iGPU played better. GPU memory clock, core clock hits 100% even when I launch windows media player. After crash & recover, I had to reload pages (esp. the ones running flash player), Firefox title bar won't be visible (menu bar too I think).

What I am running?
OS - Win 8.1
At least 5 tabs in Firefox, android emulator, windows media player, ms office and 2-3 work related software. Yes, all of these running at the same time. Yes, sometimes its slow/hangs for few seconds when I was using iGPU, but never crashed or BSOD.
With this load, my CPU hits 90% easily and memory usage stays above 80%. It's not unusual, it's the case before and it's the case now.
My system was booting quick, shutdown was even more quicker. But now, after installing GT 710 they are slow. :(

What did I notice when BSOD?
When system collecting info before restarting, it showed something lik this "video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm.sys for more info"

What have I tried till now?
- regedit fix (tdrdelay)
- set to max performance in nvidia control panel (3d settings)
- Power options (PCI express > link state power mgmt > off)
- Uninstalled using DDU (guru3D) and installed the one came with the GPU 359.21 (now I am not getting BSOD, it's been ~24hrs. But crashing didn't stop)

Today, started monitoring temperatures. CPU hits 88 degree Celsius (max) and GPU hits 55 degree Celsius (max). No, crashing didn't occur at peak temperature. Crashed twice after installing 359.21, I didn't notice what was the temp once, the other time it was in 60's (CPU) and 40's (GPU). Yes, CPU is too hot I have to clean and apply thermal paste. But with iGPU I am good even at this temperature. So I guess temp is not the cause for this issue.

What kinda solution I am looking?
This system is not intend for playing games. The ultimate purpose of buying GT710 is to get multi-monitor support, nothing else. I had been running Windows basic driver with iGPU, if there is an option to use two monitors with windows basic display driver, that would be good. But I don't know if that's possible.

What's the problem here? What should I do to fix this? (no I can't buy a new system) Is there any stable driver I can use with GT 710 without causing any trouble?

I really could use some help guys.

MY RIG:
Intel Pentium Dual core E2160
Asus P5G MX
Transcend DDR2 3GB (2+1)
Seagate 160GB & Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
Samsung 732NW & Dell S2216H
Zotac GT710 1GB DDR3 Zone edition
Antec VP450P

quicky008

Technomancer
It seems the version of nvidia drivers you were using earlier is buggy:

Nvidia's 378.49 GPU drivers break hardware encoding in Steam | PC Game

If the display drivers continue to crash despite rolling back to an older version there's a good possibility that something is amiss with the card itself.To check it,i suggest you install a more recent version of nvidia drivers that is known to be stable-i recommend using 372.70 as i've been using it myself for my gt 730 for over 2-3 months and i haven't experienced any issues with it so far.If the crashes persist even after installing the above driver,you should check your gpu on another system-if it works fine there then it can safely be concluded that the card is ok but something else on your pc might be acting up,thereby causing all those crashes.

To get a rough idea of what's causing your pc to crash,you may consider using an utility called whocrashed that's available here:

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Update: Crash # 3

Turned ON the system, logged in, launched firefox, opened digit forum, logging in > crashed.
This is the only application and only one tab, so it's not crashing because of overload.
It seems the version of nvidia drivers you were using earlier is buggy:

Nvidia's 378.49 GPU drivers break hardware encoding in Steam | PC Game

If the display drivers continue to crash despite rolling back to an older version there's a good possibility that something is amiss with the card itself.To check it,i suggest you install a more recent version of nvidia drivers that is known to be stable-i recommend using 372.70 as i've been using it myself for my gt 730 for over 2-3 months and i haven't experienced any issues with it so far.If the crashes persist even after installing the above driver,you should check your gpu on another system-if it works fine there then it can safely be concluded that the card is ok but something else on your pc might be acting up,thereby causing all those crashes.

To get a rough idea of what's causing your pc to crash,you may consider using an utility called whocrashed that's available here:

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
Thank you quicky.
I am sure it's nvlddmkm.sys is crashing. That's the only thing coming up when I check event viewer after crash.
I update mine to 372.70 and see how it works.:Fingerx:

Update: Crash # 4
While typing this message, it crashed again.
When its crashing, I see few other things in event viewer.
- Application firefox.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware. (though not this time)
- Application HD-Frontend.ex has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Did you check it on a single monitor?
Nope, I haven't. I will try that.

Did GPU stress test (Furmark)
1080p preset- no crash (went upto 66 deg)
2nd run - it went on and on, so I stopped when it reached 79 deg
720p preset - went upto 79 deg
No crash at all during stress test.

- - - Updated - - -

Unplugged VGA from the GPU and running one monitor (HDMI).
Crashed in about 10 min. :(

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Do you have a VGA/DVI cable? Check using that instead of HDMI. Also you are the one who had the color problem right? You didn't mess up something there right?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Do you have a VGA/DVI cable? Check using that instead of HDMI. Also you are the one who had the color problem right? You didn't mess up something there right?
Connected via VGA (removed HMDI cable from the GPU), crashed upon booting. :(
Yeah, I am the guy with colour problem. I guess I didn't mess up anything then. Just ran that reg modifier thing. But I have been facing this issue right from the beginning (I mean even before I asked about the colour issue).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
You did uninstall the integrated graphics drivers right? Uninstall all graphics drivers that are present on your system and boot the system like it would have during the first time setup(check if this mode stays stable). Then do a clean install of Nvidia driver 376.33 . Also make sure you reverted everything you have tried until now before doing this.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You did uninstall the integrated graphics drivers right? Uninstall all graphics drivers that are present on your system and boot the system like it would have during the first time setup(check if this mode stays stable). Then do a clean install of Nvidia driver 376.33 . Also make sure you reverted everything you have tried until now before doing this.
Yes, I did uninstall using display driver uninstaller.
I will try that.

- regedit fix (tdrdelay) - DELETED
- set to max performance in nvidia control panel (3d settings) - I GUESS WHEN I UNINSTALL, THIS WILL BE DONE AUTOMATICALLY.
- Power options (PCI express > link state power mgmt > off) - THIS IS HOW IT WAS WHEN I CHECKED.
-
Nvidia RGB toggler - AGAIN, DRIVER UNINSTALL WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS.
I thought how about try booting from iGPU and see if I can replicate this issue. And learned that no nvidia driver loaded when I tried this. If no nvidia driver, then there can't be any crashing of nvlddmkm.sys. Stupid try :oops: I don't know if I should stay in this and see if there is any problem before switching to graphic card.
boot the system like it would have during the first time setup(check if this mode stays stable).
This is pretty much like what I am doing right now, isn't it? If there is no nvidia driver, there can't be any crashing of nvlddmkm.sys (I am right here? Correct me if I am wrong). So obviously this would stay stable.

Downloading/uninstalling/installing driver would take some time. I will try that and get back to you guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Both 372.70 & 376.33 are crashing. :(
Microsoft basic driver is not crashing but it's not as good as iGPU (intel 945 chipset driver - again this is from Microsoft (Win 8.1)).
Windows update showing Nvidia display driver update 21.21.13.7653 (dec 2016 release, published on 19th Jan 2017), probably this is the latest driver 378.xx, may be not. But still I am thinking about trying this as well, wishing this would fix this issue.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
376.33 driver is very stable that's the one am using for quite a long time.
Looks like you either have a bad card or something about it is incompatible with your very old DDR2 era system. Is your mobo BIOS updated?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That nvidia update (from windows update) is 376.53 and experienced bsod. :( :(
376.33 driver is very stable that's the one am using for quite a long time.
Looks like you either have a bad card or something about it is incompatible with your very old DDR2 era system. Is your mobo BIOS updated?
Last BIOS update for my board is from 2008, version 0404 and mine is also 0404. So yeah, it's the latest/updated.
Is there any way I can enable two monitor support without the need of installing nvidia driver?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I don't know about running without drivers. But it seems that the card is bad or your system is incompatible with it. Can you test the card on any other system?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know about running without drivers. But it seems that the card is bad or your system is incompatible with it. Can you test the card on any other system?
Pretty much all of them here using laptop, so trying this card on another system is quite thin. Will see if I can find anyone who can try it in their system.

quicky008

Technomancer
do these issues persist when the discrete gpu is removed from the system?It seems likely that u may have received a defective card.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
do these issues persist when the discrete gpu is removed from the system?It seems likely that u may have received a defective card.
With iGPU, I don't have this issue (GT 710 still in the slot, just VGA plugged in motherboard). I don't even have to remove the GT 710, if I use Microsoft basic display driver (with discrete card) there would be no crashing.

Update:
Yesterday morning, there was no crash for about 5 hours and I shutdown the system. Last night crashed on booting.
Today, I have been working since morning, there is no crash yet.

Is there any way I can find how many BSODs have happened in the last two weeks?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Event Viewer
Thank you. Under what level/source I look for this. There is no mentioning of BSOD. With google, I can't able to find.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I got it. I am narrowing down with Event id's (41, 6008, 1001)

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Thank you. Under what level/source I look for this. There is no mentioning of BSOD. With google, I can't able to find.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I got it. I am narrowing down with Event id's (41, 6008, 1001)

Should be in summary > critical category, with timestamp listed

quicky008

Technomancer
Can you test your system with another discrete gpu?If it works fine and causes no crashes then you can be certain that your gt 710 is faulty.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Can you test your system with another discrete gpu?If it works fine and causes no crashes then you can be certain that your gt 710 is faulty.
Yet, to find someone with desktop who can try discrete graphic card.

Update:

In the last 3 sessions (6+hours each), crashed only once.

Top Bottom