[HELP] Display driver crashing/BSOD

supergamer

supa supa
I have a 'Galaxy GT 730' and I have faced this issue for past 2 years now on Win8.1 even with all OS updates.

There's a registry editing TDR fix but it never worked for me. TDR crash occurs basically when windows puts your GPU to sleep unexpectedly.

I wouldn't say Nvidia's newer driver are faulty, as I have tried almost each driver (for whatever little time the BSOD allowed me) and they showed definite performance improvement, but Nvidia has fundamentally changed something with it that just doesn't sit well with old hardware I suppose resulting in random TDR.

This past month however I have moved to Win10. I am on latest 378.92 now and within 2 week's usage I have not faced a single crash.
I haven't changed any hardware either. So it was definitely 'win8.1 + Nvidia driver + GT 730' combination that was causing this problem.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
350.12 is the oldest driver I could find which supports GT 710 (at least it's listed in supported product list). Even it's not compatible when I tried to install. I got result that I don't have supporting hardware to install 350.12. So 347.25 is not gonna work :(
Uninstall current driver.
Download and install 347.25
nvidia 347.25
TDR issue should be fixed.
Stay on this driver. Any newer driver will give you display driver crashes.

supergamer

supa supa
350.12 is the oldest driver I could find which supports GT 710 (at least it's listed in supported product list). Even it's not compatible when I tried to install. I got result that I don't have supporting hardware to install 350.12. So 347.25 is not gonna work :(

Once you extract the drivers to folder like C:\NVIDIA\347.25 go to that folder and open a file called nv_dispi.inf with any plain text editor.
Search for 'GT 710' without quotes. If there's no entry for your GPU then drivers won't install for you.

But we can go ahead and manually create 2 lines for your GPU in that .inf file and make the drivers compatible.

Guru3d INF driver modding

## Under section [Strings] insert this...
NVIDIA_DEV.1281 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 710"

## Under section [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3] insert this...
%NVIDIA_DEV.1281% = Section037, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1281

Save nv_dispi.inf and then run setup.exe

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Once you extract the drivers to folder like C:\NVIDIA\347.25 go to that folder and open a file called nv_dispi.inf with any plain text editor.
Search for 'GT 710' without quotes. If there's no entry for your GPU then drivers won't install for you.

But we can go ahead and manually create 2 lines for your GPU in that .inf file and make the drivers compatible.

Guru3d INF driver modding

## Under section [Strings] insert this...
NVIDIA_DEV.1281 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 710"

## Under section [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3] insert this...
%NVIDIA_DEV.1281% = Section037, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1281

Save nv_dispi.inf and then run setup.exe
350.12 have both the entries yet it says incompatible.
Currently I am running the latest driver 38x.xx, still with the issues.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Downloaded and installed AVG tune up utility. Just did to see if it improves the performance.

There is no display crash for the last two days. I don't know if this is because of this utility or something else. Usually, I see atleast 5-6 crashes a day. Keeping my fingers crossed, would be wonderful if there will be no crash.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Downloaded and installed AVG tune up utility. Just did to see if it improves the performance.

There is no display crash for the last two days. I don't know if this is because of this utility or something else. Usually, I see atleast 5-6 crashes a day. Keeping my fingers crossed, would be wonderful if there will be no crash.

If it works then some registry settings / entries must have messed up.

Once faced an issue with the game Sleeping Dogs - Registry Mechanic ( by Pc Tools ) software ( now discontinued ) fixed it. The game was not starting up.

Last edited:
Reactions: nac
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No crashing for little over 3 days, it's started again. Don't know what stopped for those three days.

Hrishi

Were you able to take a memory dump at the time of crash? Might help if that is analyzed to find cause

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I guess windows automatically save memory dump, right?

But I think it writes memory dump when system BSOD. The crash I am talking about is display crash, goes black for few seconds. I can check the details in event viewer, not more than that.

quicky008

Technomancer
gt 710 seems like a unreliable gpu and is susceptible to causing frequent system crashes(other users have also reported facing similar issues on sites like tomshardware with this particular card)-i'd suggest getting rid of your gt 710 and replacing it with an older(but more reliable)gpu like the gt 210-you can find one for as low as Rs 500-600 in the used peripherals market these days.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
my best guess faulty gpu - possibly gpu memory.
I have RMAed. No difference.
Like people say, it can be because of different architecture/technology (proccy and GPU)
gt 710 seems like a unreliable gpu and is susceptible to causing frequent system crashes(other users have also reported facing similar issues on sites like tomshardware with this particular card)-i'd suggest getting rid of your gt 710 and replacing it with an older(but more reliable)gpu like the gt 210-you can find one for as low as Rs 500-600 in the used peripherals market these days.
That's was the idea, but I couldn't get any lower than 1100/- for GT 210 from used market. So the reason I opt for GT710.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have RMAed. No difference.
Like people say, it can be because of different architecture/technology (proccy and GPU)

That's was the idea, but I couldn't get any lower than 1100/- for GT 210 from used market. So the reason I opt for GT710.

did not notice you are using a ages old motherboard. Yes, it can be a compatibility isssue.

sharing one with one : I've had a 8600GT a long time back and the rmaed unit will work on most motherboard expect one gigabyte g31 motherboard - if I install it there the pc will not boot ( just stays on power on state ) and there's no display on monitor.

Every other graphic card worked fine on that motherboard though - though it may sound beyond logical but things like this happens.

Top Bottom