[HELP] Display driver crashing/BSOD

quicky008

Technomancer
I still recommend testing it with a spare gpu just to make sure your gt 710 isn't the culprit.Also try booting your system into linux using a live distro and check whether you experience any signs of system instability or not.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I still recommend testing it with a spare gpu just to make sure your gt 710 isn't the culprit.Also try booting your system into linux using a live distro and check whether you experience any signs of system instability or not.
Getting a spare gpu is also tough. I will try if I can find one.
Yeah, I can try it in linux. But I can't work in linux for long. If there is no crash while using linux, I can't conclude that it's stable. Thanks for the suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried last night in linux for about 4+ hours. But pretty much most of the time it was running update. Before that in windows, there was 8 events (display crash). Each crash and recovery takes about 3-5 seconds, during which time screen flickers and goes blank
First with basic driver that comes with ubuntu. Then installed nvidia driver 367.57. Surprising didn't take much time. When I was installing in windows, downloading alone took more than an hour. But in Ubuntu, it just took about 15-20 min or probably less. Then from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS. I will try again tonight and see if I can get driver error.
By the way, where to find if there was any error in Ubuntu (like we check event viewer in windows).?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I'll be honest, i did face the issue myself when i assembled a new system with 660GTX. I was using windows 10 and none of the drivers was working fine. I wasnt even able to simply browse the system without BSODs/crashes. I tried almost 10-15 different versions but failed everytime.

Link to my problem thread: *forum.digit.in/pc-components-confi...d-nvidia-driver-issue-newly-build-system.html

Finally, I reinstalled windows 8.1 on my system and voila, it worked fine. Then i immediately tried updating it to Windows 10 using official microsoft updater but started getting same problems again. So i switched back to windows 8.1 and ran it for some weeks.
In the meantime, it downloaded all the required updates and got more stable. After three weeks, i again tried updating it to Windows 10 and now its running at its full potential.

At this hard time, i know that you may think your hardware is faulty. But chances of it are very rare. You may try switching the OS if your problem is still not solved.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Finally, I reinstalled windows 8.1 on my system and voila, it worked fine. Then i immediately tried updating it to Windows 10 using official microsoft updater but started getting same problems again. So i switched back to windows 8.1 and ran it for some weeks.
In the meantime, it downloaded all the required updates and got more stable. After three weeks, i again tried updating it to Windows 10 and now its running at its full potential.
Unfortunately, I am using Win 8.1 the one which stayed stable for you.
Okay, I will try this over the weekend. Clean/Fresh installation of OS.

I was suggested to install motherboard/chipset driver. But my motherboard doesn't have compatible driver for Windows 8.1. What should I do? Stick with Windows driver or is there any third party driver for my motherboard?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Just checked the official support site for your motherboard. I couldn't even find drivers for Windows 7, let alone windows 8 or 10. Third party drivers are rare/not available and even if you find any, I think those would not work well as well.
If I were you, I would definitely give Windows 7 a try. You can also test the card/system with spare gpu as others are saying, but I strongly don' think that you would find any problems there.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Clean installation of OS done. But, still crashing :(
Post fresh installation of OS, max temp shot up by 6 deg. (already it was high, now its even higher)

Yet to install the things I normally use, but still crashing.

Installed the latest driver, 378.66 > Still crashing
Installed just the drivers necessary for sound and dual monitor support > Still crashing (no phsyx, 3D, miracast, GE experience)

Only thing left is trying mine in someone else's system and/or trying their's in mine.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
sorry to hear mate. Let us know about your findings after the hardware test.
It was a long weekend for me. There was multiple fresh installation. Hoping the next fresh installation would be alright and I will be free from this issue. But everytime within an hour experienced crash. Just the previous week disassembled the whole rig, cleaned and applied thermal paste. With Windows update running, CPU glued at 100% usage and made the CPU super hot. Again this weekend cleaned and reapplied thermal paste. God, windows update took forever to scan, download and install.

These were the instances I could see in the eventviewer. And the other one was LogonUI.exe.
- Application firefox.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.
- Application HD-Frontend.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

For my system, launching Firefox is heavy load. Opening multiple tabs in quick succession make it hang for few sec. This explains Firefox.exe
I use Bluestack and it's super heavy for my PC. This explains HD-Frontend.exe
Bluestack starts with startup and there is no way to stop it from startup other than uninstalling. This explains LogonUI.exe

Spent a considerable amount of money after a long delay on this graphic card and I really didn't expect something like this would happen. :( :( :(

I couldn't find anyone who could try my graphic card. So don't want to wait anymore and shooting a mail to Zotac. Let's hear what they have to say about this.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Removed graphic card from the PCI ex slot and plugged into my iGPU port. Now I am not getting native resolution. Windows display option is giving a recommended resolution of 1024x768 and max resolution is 1280x1024. It's supposed to be 1440x900 (Monitor1) or 1920x1080 (Monitor2). I have tried in both the monitor. :( :(

I uninstalled MS basic display driver and rebooted. I have done it several times. Still I am not getting. Checked if something I changed in BIOS. Not a lot of option I see there. Update option says I am upto date.

Internal Graphics Card - Disabled > If I pick this option, system automatically choose 8MB enabled
Internal Graphics Card - 1MB enabled > I get even worse resolution 800x600
Internal Graphics Card - 8MB enabled > I get 1024x768 recommended.

What went wrong guys? Ever since I bought this card, everything goes south. God!!!!

Guys help me fix this issue.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^ You need to install the integrated graphics drivers if you plan to use it. You must have uninstalled it before.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ You need to install the integrated graphics drivers if you plan to use it. You must have uninstalled it before.
I don't have compatible driver for my chipset in windows 8.1. I have been using windows driver for a very long time.

I have uninstalled the driver from device manager and rebooted. Still isn't working.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to spend the whole weekend again in front of the computer. I am leaving now, I will come back later this weekend to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks guys for your help.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
You really need to build a new PC if you are going to use a new OS. A lot of stuff could be deprecated in the software side of things.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You really need to build a new PC if you are going to use a new OS. A lot of stuff could be deprecated in the software side of things.
Wish I could build a new one :(

- - - Updated - - -

I think I fried my motherboard when troubleshooting this issue. There was a burnt smell, now other than led light on the motherboard nothing is working.
- cpu fan not spinning
- psu fan not spinning
- no beep sound
- removed RAM, there is no continuous beep sound
- removed cmos and put it back after few hours, still no sign of life

ufff!!! Things are really going south lately :( :( :(

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Bought a new motherboard (my old rig is digging a big hole in my wallet). I am yet to install graphic card on the new board, I don't know why I am not getting 1920x1080 resolution from MS basic display driver. Still working on 1024x768.

- - - Updated - - -

Installing motherboard drivers (couldn't install all) and updating dell driver and windows update brought back recommended resolution of 1920x1080 :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Even after new board and CPU, display driver goes blank at least few times a day.

Called Zotac and I was told I have to bear courier cost (to and fro) :mad::mad::mad: and it will take 15 days for them to repair (or replacement???) :mad::mad::mad:

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Got the replacement unit, still I am facing the issue. :( Don't know what I should now :(

quicky008

Technomancer
Take it to their service center and ask them to test it in front of you-the unit that they have given you as replacement might be defective.

supergamer

supa supa
Uninstall current driver.
Download and install 347.25
nvidia 347.25
TDR issue should be fixed.
Stay on this driver. Any newer driver will give you display driver crashes.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Take it to their service center and ask them to test it in front of you-the unit that they have given you as replacement might be defective.
For that I have to travel to capital city. I can't make a trip for this. And it doesn't crash every now and then. Sometimes it's not crashing for 2-3 days. Testing this in service center in front of me is not practically possible.
nvidia 347.25
I will try this and see if it fixes the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

You sure? I don't see GT710 in the list of supported products.

quicky008

Technomancer
nvidia 347.25

why is it so,are the new drivers buggy?

[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]:Maybe there's some serious design flaw in zotac's entire line of gt 710 gpus that causes the crashing,hence even the replacement gpu is acting up.You should send an email to their customer care dept.(technical@zotac.com) with a detailed description about this issue-also mention(ie bluff)that you had tested this card on another system but there too you encountered exactly the same problem(doing so is advisable so that they can't pin the blame on your pc).Then wait and see what steps they ask you to take to get this situation resolved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom