Free Web space provider + Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
do i need to register for a thrid party DNS service?
after changing my settings to DNS when I went to my control panel, I saw this option selected by default

*img412.imageshack.us/img412/6914/controlpanelyw9.th.gif

it also says it will take 24 hours form my site to be updated on their DNS servers

without registering in any 3p DNS service when i try to access my site domainname.uni.cc i get this message

*img89.imageshack.us/img89/5809/dnsunavailablefi7.gif

so does this mean that i can use uni.cc own DNS without having to register in any other DNS service?

also what is the difference between a simple re-direct and using their DNS system?
1 thing that I can think of is that if I use the simple redirect option, my site may face problems with anti-phisihng filters

but how is DNS better?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
@ Slugger, Do u have some website in dedicated hosting ? If so, then your hosting provider has some name servers like "ns1.xxx.xxx" and "ns2.xxx.xxx". Those are the DNS info u are looking for.

In a simple redirect like co.nr services, there will be only the redirection address showing in the address bar even if u are visiting some other pages in the site except index page. For example, if some site has xxx.co.nr address, then when u are visiting the index then it will show in the address bar, but also when u are visiting any other pages like xxx.co.nr/yyy.html, the address bar will not show anything other than xxx.co.nr.

But in case of a DNS configured service like uni.cc, when u are visiting any sub domain or other pages than the home page, you will have xxx.uni.cc/yyy.html in the address bar.

slugger

Banned
ok got it

CNAME value i selected is ghs.google.com

the name servers that i selected [ie copy-pasted in my uni.cc control panel] are
ns1.everydns.net
&
ns2.everydns.net

and have updated it in my uni.cc control panel

also what is the use of this option (highlighted in red)

*img293.imageshack.us/img293/7223/controlpanelredxk2.gif

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Thats DNS service at uni.cc which works for basic purposes with A and MX records but Blogger needs CNAME records which uni.cc doesnt offer

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
@slugger, i also was in such a problem when i initially used a uni.cc domain to learn domain management. I suggest you to learn the basics of DNS. just Google and you'll get tons of resources.

slugger

Banned
now i seem to be facing another problem with accesing the blog

although it is not yet 24 hours since i updated my DNS info in my uni.cc, i tried accesing the site

earlier [say around 8 hours back] when i tried accesing the site i got this message with the uni.cc logo

DNS not updated........
.....will take 24 hours
[forgot the exact message, but this is the summary]

however now when i tried doing this this is what I got

Screenshot number 1

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/7075/notfoundll9.gif

this is what my uni.cc control panel is looking like right now

Screenshot number 2

*img100.imageshack.us/img100/2856/controlpanelkx8.th.gif

and this is what my everydns control panel looks like

Screenshot number 3

*img301.imageshack.us/img301/1781/getdnsrg0.th.gif

cahce checking on openDNS (through a link in everyDNS page) gave me this result

Screenshot number 4

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/8155/cachechecksg0.th.gif

i have even changed the domain name in my blogger settings to *sitename.uni.cc in the advanced settings

what could be going wrong here?

funny thing i noticed right now

in the first screenshot there is a link called cache checking

i click on it and the result i got from this is

Screenshot number 5

*img87.imageshack.us/img87/8721/cacherooroxt6.th.gif

how is it it showing 2 completely different results for the same site when i click on the link provided in 2 different location (when i do cache checking from my everyDNS control panel i get the screnshot number 4, whereas when i do it frm the link given in d screenshot number 1 i get the result in screenshot 5)??

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
@slugger, please listen to me. Google for a guide and learn it. It won't take you more than 15 Minutes to learn it if you do it with full concentration. Its somewhat boring and dry but if you don't understand something just ping up here or PM me/Sukhdeep Singh.

slugger

Banned
oops!!!

now do i have to add A record values to the domain in everyDNs?

if so can you please tell me what the values must be?

*img401.imageshack.us/img401/5274/arecordswq3.th.gif

EDIT
@the_unknown

ur post appeared while i was composing mine, so dint read it

ok i shall do it

actually last night when i did search [very briefly though] for "DNS management" it came up with all kinds of services rather than tutz

n e way i will go thrught them more seriously now and will tell you what comes up
than

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
i think you want to use blogger. right ?

just create a CNAME value with address ghs.google.com

don't forget to set your domain in blogger.

but before that test your domain.

when you point to that, you will receive a 404 or similar error.

then configure blogger. :)

slugger

Banned
i think you want to use blogger. right ?

just create a CNAME value with address ghs.google.com

already done that :)
screenshot 3

*img301.imageshack.us/img301/1781/getdnsrg0.gif

don't forget to set your domain in blogger.

that too had been done

slugger said:
i have even changed the domain name in my blogger settings to *sitename.uni.cc in the advanced settings

but before that test your domain.
when you point to that, you will receive a 404 or similar error.

when i try sitename.blogspot.com it opens that same screen as a screenshot 1

the funny thing as i had mentioned earlier was that last evening [around 5-6 pm]
after updating my everyDNS control panel and uni.cc control panel, when i tried accessing my site immediately, i kept getting the message that DNS not updated....will be updated in 24 hours

but now i no longer get that message, instead take me to that openDNS page [screenshot 1]

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
already done that :)
screenshot 3

*img301.imageshack.us/img301/1781/getdnsrg0.gif

that too had been done

when i try sitename.blogspot.com it opens that same screen as a screenshot 1

the funny thing as i had mentioned earlier was that last evening [around 5-6 pm]
after updating my everyDNS control panel and uni.cc control panel, when i tried accessing my site immediately, i kept getting the message that DNS not updated....will be updated in 24 hours

but now i no longer get that message, instead take me to that openDNS page [screenshot 1]
now where did OpenDNS come from. Are you using it for some purpose ??

Listen dude. if you are having a lot of problems with it, just contact me on my IRC ID (itech7) between 10-11 PM at night.

IRC Server- irc.freenode.net

You can also email me- admin [at] itech7.com

Last edited:

slugger

Banned
now where did OpenDNS come from. Are you using it for some purpose ??

OK i just realised the the OpenDNS thingy [Screenshot 1] is not related to the problem i'm facing with my site

it has been 24 hours and still the site does not appear :sad:

should i change the nameservers in my uni.cc control panel?
everyDNS has got 4 of them while i can input only 2

the current nameservers i have put ight now

ns1.everydns.net
ns2.everydns.net

Last edited:

slugger

Banned
thanx guys 4 trying to help me out with my problem

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

as it turns out there was no problem with my uni.cc or everydns settings

the problem lay with the Advanced Settings option in blogger

instead of using www.sitename.uni.cc i just entered sitename.uni.cc
now that i made the changes, things are fine

a special note of thanks to Sukhdeep Singh (for helping me with the CNAME settings) and The_Unknown (for offering to guide me through IRC)

as for this

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/7075/notfoundll9.gif

i just found that this is because i'm using OpenDNS's DNS [and also registered with them]
i changed them back to BSNL's defual DNS and it no longer happens

slugger

Banned
I registered a new domain name at uni.cc
I now wish to map it to a wordpress blog (hosted by wordpress)

But, when i got to Option->Domain and enter the domain name, it says that need to have 10 credits for which I have to pay.

Is it not possible to map free domain name to a wordpress blog?

The domain name that i have mapped to my Blogger blog is working fine.
But I observed that it is not possible to access the site without adding the www sub-domain to the url

How can i make my blog accesible without typing the WWW

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Guys thanks for all your replies,but now i have decided to launch site after my boards.So will digg this thread after a month or so.

That time we will discuss in details.Sorry for the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom