Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

tkin

Back to school!!
hmm, they are not. HD 7730M is GCN whereas HD 7670M is not.

HD 7670M is previous gen.
Yeah, read it last night, 7670m is VLIW, talk about rebranding stuff, its just a 6770m and the best part, no official enduro support yet :banghead:

ratul

█████████████████
Not that big of an inf mod, a simple edit to force the mobility to install, its working so far, tested with GPU Caps viewer, one thing that I had noticed is that with earlier UNIFL modded driver I would get a pop up every time a 3d app would run which was not categorized, its not coming now, its directly being added to the switchable profile with recommended mode(performance for 3d apps), ah well, can't have everything, at least I am no longer getting kernel power loss crash when running Windows Experience Index(winsat) without running a 3d app like GPU Caps viewer and pushing the GPU to 3d mode :|

well, then it's good to see that it's working fine.. :doublethumb:

ratul

█████████████████
anybody facing problem in installing new IRST drivers by dell??
i know SSD is necessary for IRST, but this error did'nt use to come before..
*i.imgur.com/G2r8dwt.png
*i.imgur.com/4VV08BL.png​

ratul

█████████████████
Why do you need RST?

well, don't really need it, but wanna know that why this error arose this time???
coz i uninstalled all the drivers that dell provided with updates, and this is the only one not installing again, so i am slightly worried about messing something up or it's just some addition in this new version creating compatibility issues.. :oops:

nandu26

In the zone
RST is used for quick wake up from sleep if my knowledge is correct. I think SSD is required for this to work. or CPU should support it.

sasha007

Broken In
I checked my battery wear levels on my inspiron 17r special edition today and surprisingly batter care and HW Monitor report 17.93 % wear .

Is that possible ?

I bought my laptop around 3 months ago but it was kept with my brother in US , and switched on only 2-3 times .. Now i received it today and Checked these wear levels , after i completely charged my battery and took this reading when battery was discharging ...

Is it a false reading ? Plz help ...

How to get a correct reading ??

Whats weird is i tried to completely discharge it and the battery meter stuck at 8% while discharging for a long time , and then the computer abruptly shut off ...

Then it was not able to be powered on battery so i plugged in AC , after which i got windows improperly shut down and when windows started i got Battery 7% available , plugged in and charging ... Whats wrong ?

Last edited:
I checked my battery wear levels on my inspiron 17r special edition today and surprisingly batter care and HW Monitor report 17.93 % wear .

Is that possible ?

I bought my laptop around 3 months ago but it was kept with my brother in US , and switched on only 2-3 times .. Now i received it today and Checked these wear levels , after i completely charged my battery and took this reading when battery was discharging ...

Whats weird is i tried to completely discharge it and the battery meter stuck at 8% while discharging for a long time , and then the computer abruptly shut off ...

Then it was not able to be powered on battery so i plugged in AC , after which i got windows improperly shut down and when windows started i got Battery 7% available , plugged in and charging ... Whats wrong ?

That should not be in just 3 months. Contact dell ASAP. They are known for their after sales service. They'll replace the battery.

sasha007

Broken In
Okay so have a few doubts . Before that just for info , my 7720 has windows 8 and A07 BIOS . I shrinked my OS partition to make new partitions..

1. The Windows 8 PC settings won't open . It says to refresh windows 8 . So would refreshing delete all drivers and preinstalled Dell software ?

2. After a full discharge and full charge now the wear levels are down to 3.04 % . What does this mean ?

3 . If battery stays at 100% Fully charged , Would using the pc plugged in to AC , hamper battery life ? Coz the battery charging is disabled after battery reaches 100% right ?

4. What to Desktop mode and longevity mode in battery meter do ? Should i enable them both ?

Tried Enabling both and battery stays at 98% plugged in charging and do not reach 100% . Howz that benefetial ?

5 . Since i repartitioned my OS partitioned and shrinked it , would restoring from Dell recovery disk work ? I mean it is designed to work on a single partition as came from the factory or not ?

6 . Where is windows 8 key ? How to activate it once i reinstall if needed ?

Can someone please answer these questions ?

Awaiting help please ... :)

player100

Broken In
Did any one face the same problem with the new BIOS A12 for Inspiron 17R Turbo(7720)..... After i flash with it, my frames rate while playing any game for about 5-10min drops below 20fps.... very surprising.... and normally in borderlands 2, CS GO its above 40fps even in intense situation with optimal settings...

ratul

█████████████████

Is that possible ?

my battry waer is up now at 8.6 any way to reduce it?

try this method by dayslleepper: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...r-17r-turbo-laptop-thread-82.html#post1811304

Okay so have a few doubts . Before that just for info , my 7720 has windows 8 and A07 BIOS . I shrinked my OS partition to make new partitions..

1. The Windows 8 PC settings won't open . It says to refresh windows 8 . So would refreshing delete all drivers and preinstalled Dell software ?

2. After a full discharge and full charge now the wear levels are down to 3.04 % . What does this mean ?

3 . If battery stays at 100% Fully charged , Would using the pc plugged in to AC , hamper battery life ? Coz the battery charging is disabled after battery reaches 100% right ?

4. What to Desktop mode and longevity mode in battery meter do ? Should i enable them both ?

Tried Enabling both and battery stays at 98% plugged in charging and do not reach 100% . Howz that benefetial ?

5 . Since i repartitioned my OS partitioned and shrinked it , would restoring from Dell recovery disk work ? I mean it is designed to work on a single partition as came from the factory or not ?

6 . Where is windows 8 key ? How to activate it once i reinstall if needed ?

Can someone please answer these questions ?

Awaiting help please ... :)

1. I have'nt done this, but AFAIK it won't affect any of your files, it'll just reset the settings of OS to the defaults..
2. It means that you have successfully calibrated the battery.. :D
3. No, coz battery would be cut off from the power as soon as it reaches 100%, though temps could be a concern.
4. Use desktop mode if you are connected to AC adapter for longer times, and use Longevity mode if you frequently connect and disconnect AC adapter, though i have enabled Desktop mode and it says that it'll only charge b/w 50-100%, i don't see it happening.. :(
if your battery is staying @ 98%, then try to further use on battery till it reaches 50% of charge, then charge again, it should reach 100% charge, the fact is that dell batteries won't charge @ 98% to prevent overcharging of batteries..
5. Have'nt tried that, but i think it should work and should bring your laptop to factory default settings..
6. It's embedded in the BIOS itself, just install the correct version of windows 8 if you want to re-install windows, and it should automatically pick up the key from the BIOS..

sasha007

Broken In
try this method by dayslleepper: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-n...r-17r-turbo-laptop-thread-82.html#post1811304

1. I have'nt done this, but AFAIK it won't affect any of your files, it'll just reset the settings of OS to the defaults..
2. It means that you have successfully calibrated the battery.. :D
3. No, coz battery would be cut off from the power as soon as it reaches 100%, though temps could be a concern.
4. Use desktop mode if you are connected to AC adapter for longer times, and use Longevity mode if you frequently connect and disconnect AC adapter, though i have enabled Desktop mode and it says that it'll only charge b/w 50-100%, i don't see it happening.. :(
if your battery is staying @ 98%, then try to further use on battery till it reaches 50% of charge, then charge again, it should reach 100% charge, the fact is that dell batteries won't charge @ 98% to prevent overcharging of batteries..
5. Have'nt tried that, but i think it should work and should bring your laptop to factory default settings..
6. It's embedded in the BIOS itself, just install the correct version of windows 8 if you want to re-install windows, and it should automatically pick up the key from the BIOS..

Would installing the windows 8 from a retail CD ( not OEM ) , retain the Dell logo appearing at boot instead of windows 8 logo ?

Also would the system properties retain the OEM info and icons ?

ratul

█████████████████
Would installing the windows 8 from a retail CD ( not OEM ) , retain the Dell logo appearing at boot instead of windows 8 logo ?

Also would the system properties retain the OEM info and icons ?

no, i don't think so.. :-?
these things are slipstreamed by the OEM into the disc itself, installing from retail dvd would just be a normal win8 installation, that's it.. :wink:

ratul

█████████████████
Did any one face the same problem with the new BIOS A12 for Inspiron 17R Turbo(7720)..... After i flash with it, my frames rate while playing any game for about 5-10min drops below 20fps.... very surprising.... and normally in borderlands 2, CS GO its above 40fps even in intense situation with optimal settings...

looks like the throttling problem that used to reside in sammy np550.. :?
what are the temps when the fps drops, and do check the GPU clock during fps drops through GPU-Z.

pratyush997

Inactive
Seems like gt 650m is culprit!
it used to throttle in my sammy too!