Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

Jakes

Broken In
I am in a dilemma
Inspiron 15r:

Should I go with
i5-3210M processor with FULL HD Anti-glare (1920x1080) display.
or
i7-3632QM processor with HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) display.

I am not able to decide. I dont want to spend extra money and buy the one with has both i7 processor and FULL HD (1920x1080) display.

I would be using the laptop mostly for programming and gaming.

Last edited:

sam142000

Journeyman
I am in a dilemma
Inspiron 15r:

Should I go with
i5-3210M processor with FULL HD Anti-glare (1920x1080) display.
or
i7-3632QM processor with HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) display.

I am not able to decide. I dont want to spend extra money and buy the one with has both i7 processor and FULL HD (1920x1080) display.

I would be using the laptop mostly for programming and gaming.

Dude!! Read a little. I just answered that above.

admn_head

Broken In
no, windows restore is just a basic recovery solution, more advanced options are available in the 3rd party backup softwares (easeus todo backup, acronis true image), which can backup and restore your entire disk (i.e. clone your partitions), just like the old norton ghost would do... :p
And hidden windows partition is the system partition (might be 100mb or 350mb acc. to installation), it usually stores the activation information and some booting info...
well, i am not sure about the deletion of other partition after recovery disc usage, as i never used one, hate those :p, better someone who have used it comment on it..
i too installed windows 8, and did'nt touched any of my other partitions, so you don't need a HDD without partitions, just delete the previous system partition and C:, create the partition from that unallocated space, and then install on that partition only..
And your best option would be to first create recovery discs using the dell recovery, use the free Easeus todo backup home (download), make two system backups, one in the current state (the factory installed windows 8 and system partition you have currently), and the other after the windows 8 pro installation if it succeeds, and don't forget to store them on your external HDD, if easeus image is'nt able to restore the system, you can then use the recovery discs you burned, so have as many backup options as you can have before trying to install windows 8..
Geez that's such a long work in the new win8 laptops, i was ready with win8 on my system in under 20mins.. :p

i have'nt bought this laptop online, bought it from dell store, and yes it's right that they don't provide any discounts.. :(

thanks for the reply ratul..

I tried inbuilt system disk image option of windows 7 file recovery under control panel but it fails to create image on my wd 1tbb hdd with this error:
windows8-system-image-error.jpg

ok if I use easeus todo to backup my entire hdd but free doesn't provide windows pe bootable disk option.. so how to restore in case m unable to access windows. will the bootable system repair disk created from windows 7 file recovery under control panel (shown in above image) allow me the restore the easeus todo backup via it? or it need easeus todo backup's bootable disk to use its function.. all such software create image in their only own readable format n no vice-versa reading can be done of image.. ?

I have created dell recovery dvd and usb .... there is other rescue disk option under dell backup and recovery.. how is it different from the created dell recovery dvd disk/usb? rescue disk option allows me to create rescue drive/image on my hdd ... I haven't done process bcoz may be it may delete/format my already 50% loaded 1tb hdd.. :p

also I have enabled desktop mode to preserve battery but still its charging battery.. how to keep it at around 50% and than stop charge ?

I have no time to play wid my new lappy.. busy schedules .. :( ... just completed media recovery on dvd n usb yesterday.. :p

ratul

█████████████████
What about the heat on the keyboard, bottom of turbo after 3 hours of usage? I want to know this becuase I will use the lappy in non AC room.

well, keyboard remains fairly cool, though the left side of the palmrest tends to get warm if processor temps >65c, right side always remains cool.. :p
bottom of the lappy also don't heat up unless you are using it on bed or proper ventilation is'nt provided, i was once playing nfs most wanted 2012, keeping the lappy on the pillow, and HDD temps rose to 75c :oops:, and bottom of the lappy was burning like hell, so keep proper ventilation in bottom..

thanks for the reply ratul..

I tried inbuilt system disk image option of windows 7 file recovery under control panel but it fails to create image on my wd 1tbb hdd with this error:
View attachment 7881

ok if I use easeus todo to backup my entire hdd but free doesn't provide windows pe bootable disk option.. so how to restore in case m unable to access windows. will the bootable system repair disk created from windows 7 file recovery under control panel (shown in above image) allow me the restore the easeus todo backup via it? or it need easeus todo backup's bootable disk to use its function.. all such software create image in their only own readable format n no vice-versa reading can be done of image.. ?

I have created dell recovery dvd and usb .... there is other rescue disk option under dell backup and recovery.. how is it different from the created dell recovery dvd disk/usb? rescue disk option allows me to create rescue drive/image on my hdd ... I haven't done process bcoz may be it may delete/format my already 50% loaded 1tb hdd.. :p

also I have enabled desktop mode to preserve battery but still its charging battery.. how to keep it at around 50% and than stop charge ?

I have no time to play wid my new lappy.. busy schedules .. :( ... just completed media recovery on dvd n usb yesterday.. :p

well, the error states of not having enough free space, is the HDD formatted in NTFS??? Try again formatting it using HP Format Tool in NTFS..
and you won't be able to recover the easeus image if windows don't boot up.. :p, i provided this option for use only if the format and windows installation was successful, but KMS won't work, in that case easeus image would be more beneficial, if the system would not be able to bootup, for that recovery discs were there.. :p
And the rescue disk option is just like a Live CD Option, or the term more familiar to you, a windows pe environment, where you can troubleshoot the system without having to force the restore...
Even i enabled desktop mode charge, and my battery is also charging to full level, i think we need to use 3rd party software to limit the charge, coz i don't think dell is providing any option for it in their suite..

admn_head

Broken In
well, keyboard remains fairly cool, though the left side of the palmrest tends to get warm if processor temps >65c, right side always remains cool.. :p
bottom of the lappy also don't heat up unless you are using it on bed or proper ventilation is'nt provided, i was once playing nfs most wanted 2012, keeping the lappy on the pillow, and HDD temps rose to 75c :oops:, and bottom of the lappy was burning like hell, so keep proper ventilation in bottom..

well, the error states of not having enough free space, is the HDD formatted in NTFS??? Try again formatting it using HP Format Tool in NTFS..
and you won't be able to recover the easeus image if windows don't boot up.. :p, i provided this option for use only if the format and windows installation was successful, but KMS won't work, in that case easeus image would be more beneficial, if the system would not be able to bootup, for that recovery discs were there.. :p
And the rescue disk option is just like a Live CD Option, or the term more familiar to you, a windows pe environment, where you can troubleshoot the system without having to force the restore...
Even i enabled desktop mode charge, and my battery is also charging to full level, i think we need to use 3rd party software to limit the charge, coz i don't think dell is providing any option for it in their suite..

its already in ntfs format n has morethan 400gb free.. any idea now?

if i get full version of todo from net n create widows pe bootable disc.. will dat boot or not due to dis new ueif .. ?? if yes, than recovery would be speedy from backup image as it will b thru 3.0 hdd drive.. ;) .. so no need to use recovery dvd/usb whn situation arises...

btw, lappy is ready to use in flat 14secs whn started... i think whn final deep freeze for window8 is available i'll install that n freeze system as boot time is really good.. bit of more boot time due to deep freeze wont be issue for me.. hope till dat time system remains gud..

ratul

█████████████████
its already in ntfs format n has morethan 400gb free.. any idea now?

if i get full version of todo from net n create widows pe bootable disc.. will dat boot or not due to dis new ueif .. ?? if yes, than recovery would be speedy from backup image as it will b thru 3.0 hdd drive.. ;) .. so no need to use recovery dvd/usb whn situation arises...

btw, lappy is ready to use in flat 14secs whn started... i think whn final deep freeze for window8 is available i'll install that n freeze system as boot time is really good.. bit of more boot time due to deep freeze wont be issue for me.. hope till dat time system remains gud..

might be that windows recovery could be accessing some wrong partition, or it's reading wrong sectors from external hdd, might be possible it needs a dedicated partition for it's use, can't say anything else, as i never use it... :p

todo full version from net??? :p then better get acronis, best recovery software.. :p (let's not talk more of the piracy here, otherwise :ban:)..
i think the booting of recovery from either easeus or acronis should'nt be a problem, as it's just running like a live cd, no installation is taking place, so no changes are made in the bootloader, hence UEFI should'nt create any problems here..

dayslleepper

Broken In
Yes you can install both simultaneously on diff. drives.. :twisted:
And for the battery, as soon as you power on the lappy, put it on charger, and after fully charged, use it on battery till ~15% battery remains, and then charge it fully..
And don't game on battery.. :p

Can u explain clealy abt ur 3-4 Days method for Battery Life Saving tht u had mentioned before 4 pgs. I got confused thts why :oops:

ratul

█████████████████
Can u explain clealy abt ur 3-4 Days method for Battery Life Saving tht u had mentioned before 4 pgs. I got confused thts why :oops:

As my laptop is almost running 24/7, so let's give you an example for what's my plan..
I started the lappy on monday, put it on charger and then do whatever i am doing, gaming or something else, and till wednesday it's on charging only, as it's running almost 24/7..
On thursday morning i remove the charger, use the lappy on battery till it hibernates or battery level ~10%, i reconnect it and then again use it till saturday or sunday and continues this way...
hope now you understood the scheme.. :p

Crysis 3 PC Game System Requirements
Sad to see Crysis 3 wont run on our machine :cry:

wow, that's some beefy requirements, but minimum is GTS 450, our's is better than that, so hopefully playable in low settings.. :p

sam142000

Journeyman
As my laptop is almost running 24/7, so let's give you an example for what's my plan..
I started the lappy on monday, put it on charger and then do whatever i am doing, gaming or something else, and till wednesday it's on charging only, as it's running almost 24/7..
On thursday morning i remove the charger, use the lappy on battery till it hibernates or battery level ~10%, i reconnect it and then again use it till saturday or sunday and continues this way...

wow, that's some beefy requirements, but minimum is GTS 450, our's is better than that, so hopefully playable in low settings.. :p

Dude run the test on that site, it does detect our AMD GPU bt it shows 7750M like in 3D Mark11.

ratul

█████████████████
Dude run the test on that site, it does detect our AMD GPU bt it shows 7750M like in 3D Mark11.

dude, don't worry about the detection, i explained to you earlier that 7730m is a switchable GPU, only capable of been kicked in when needed, AMD drivers don't allow it to be detected as it's Nvidia counterparts, but it's working fine, that's been confirmed by 3DMark 11..

just installed 4gb corsair vengance with 9-9-9-11 latency
no prob till now and exp rating for ram goes to 7.6!!!

gr8 to hear that..
btw, my RAM score was 7.9 in win7... :p

Goopy

Right off the assembly line
Overclocking 7730m & CCC 12.11 beta11

Hi

I succefully overclocked my 7730m using the drivers provided on the Dell support pages. Following reading about the great performance improvements in the new 12.11 beta drivers I decided to update to the latest version, beta11.

Now when I open MSI Afterburner I am no longer able to set the fan speed and the monitor information window (showing current temps and speeds) is blank. I am still able to overclock the clock and memory though.

Is this a result of the new drivers or have I done something wrong?

Cheers

dayslleepper

Broken In

Ya, Ofcourse understood right now.... Thanks a lot... will use it like that when i gt the lappy in my hands... still gt 12 days to get my leave :cry:

I even never seen my lap infront of my eyes other than youtube and other sources....:p

admn_head

Broken In
@ratul, was out of town for some.. so now back n going to partition hdd.. default windows disk management doesn't allow me to shrink c drive more than 400gb so I only have option is easeus.. so first should I shrink partition and apply it or also use create partition option from created unallocated space after shrinking and than apply it...

do I need to do both shrinking and creating partition form unallocated space step by step or just make all changes of shrinking and partition creation n give a single apply go ?

others who have created partition using easeus can also give a reply .. ;) .. thanx .. :)

sam142000

Journeyman
@ratul, was out of town for some.. so now back n going to partition hdd.. default windows disk management doesn't allow me to shrink c drive more than 400gb so I only have option is easeus.. so first should I shrink partition and apply it or also use create partition option from created unallocated space after shrinking and than apply it...

do I need to do both shrinking and creating partition form unallocated space step by step or just make all changes of shrinking and partition creation n give a single apply go ?

others who have created partition using easeus can also give a reply .. ;) .. thanx .. :)

You can apply all the changes in the end. Bt be sure of what changes you are making!!

ratul

█████████████████

as sam said, do whatever changes you wanna do, when you finish, hit apply.. :wink:

admn_head

Broken In
guys I ran into problem while creating partition .. I shrinked, I created partition n applied...

computer rebooted.. shrink complete.. computer crash..

booted again n said use recovery media or contact pc manufacturer / admin..

I got my usb stick n booted wid that.. dell recovery n backup soft repaired some windows missing file .. said congrats computer is fixed...

rebooted n booted to windows 8 ... all this time I was like :-?

checked computer n could see only 120gb c drive.. and no 810gb e-drive that I created .. got easeus up n created partition n everything is smooth now.. :)

and ratul as u said take care while doing this.. I did what I could but man as I had said its software who has to do n by its own it may run into problems.. same happened.. though everything is ok now... :)

praveensahu

Broken In
Yes, Dell inspiron is really very good laptop, It has best and latest processor in very affordable price. so it is the good deal for who are looking a laptop .

ratul

█████████████████
guys I ran into problem while creating partition .. I shrinked, I created partition n applied...

computer rebooted.. shrink complete.. computer crash..

booted again n said use recovery media or contact pc manufacturer / admin..

I got my usb stick n booted wid that.. dell recovery n backup soft repaired some windows missing file .. said congrats computer is fixed...

rebooted n booted to windows 8 ... all this time I was like :-?

checked computer n could see only 120gb c drive.. and no 810gb e-drive that I created .. got easeus up n created partition n everything is smooth now.. :)

and ratul as u said take care while doing this.. I did what I could but man as I had said its software who has to do n by its own it may run into problems.. same happened.. though everything is ok now... :)

good to hear problem has been solved, that's why it's advisable to partition using windows disc while installing OS, which in your case is quite complex.. :p

Top Bottom