Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

ratul

█████████████████
i installed 12.11 beta 7 drivers today
my games are running on good fps than before but i was not able to open to catalyst control center
host application stops responding
here is the screenshot....View attachment 7679

well, i am not having any problems with it, have you installed the drivers over previous one, or is it a clean install??
It's better to clean install AMD Drivers..

Hey guys I have this doubt that's been bothering me and I'd appreciate your help.

From a very gaming-centric view- Would i5 be a better choice, or i7. I don't run many cpu-intensive programs, and will only do the very basic multi=tasking ie. browsers, music/videos, etc that's all. Thing is I don't consider the 15r top model, to be VFM. I mean for 68-69k. Hence, I was wondering if I'd really need an i7 for my needs. Keeping in mind though, I will play a lot of games(no, PC is not an option(hostel/pg)), and I'm following a certain 'suryavashi's' videos on youtube, same laptop, but the i7 variant ie. and 7730M seems to be handling everything pretty good from there.I watched a video uploaded by ratul here, too. Your views/opinions would be appreciated.

Secondly, the screen dilemna. I know FHD looks stunning, but can the 7730M handle it well? I mean no point in spending 69k+ on a laptop where I'd have to sacrifice graphic settings just to make it look good on screen. Is the 1366*something ie normal screen really bad? Another thing, IF incase I get an FHD display model, and then run games on 1366, will it look pixelated/grainy?

The i5 8GB is only FHD based now, that's one issue! But then there's the i7 4gb, to which I can add a simple 4gbram(transcend/corsair) from FK for 1k. The i7 4gb comes with a regular 1366* display or the very basic i5 4gb to which again I can add 4gb ram and sort the display issue.

Next, the pricing thing.
I had a chat with the sales expert/manager via chat. He said only the 5% VAT would be charged if I order online via Dell's site. (I live in mumbai). I asked if the 'local taxes and jurisidction' thing would be charged to which he said NO. Plus, I asked about student discount, he said you can avail a 3% d/c if you produce an I/D card. So that would mean, I'd only get a net (5-3) 2% increase on the mentioned price right? I ask you guys this, to know if there are any more hidden costs along the way, from ordering/shipping/delivery, etc?
I'm estimating.
i54gb-51500+1030=52530
i58gbFHD-55500+1110=56610
i74gb-57500+1150=58650
i78gb-60500+1210=61710
i78gbFHD-63500+1270=64770

Which would be the logical choice?
Sorry for all these questions, just confused.
Regards

it's been discussed many times previously that there is very minute difference in gaming performance of i5 and i7, only some games like GTA 4, Skyrim, BF3 etc are CPU intensive games, most of them are more dependent on GPU rather than CPU..
But this is gonna change in coming 1-2yrs, it's been speculated that as PS4 and XBOX 720 will launch, it will push the gaming capabilities, and Quad-core CPU games would be common by then, so choose wisely.. (it'd be fun to see if 7730m would be able to handle those games.. :p)

As for screen issue, 1080p would definitely be better for tasks other than gaming, but i am also using the 768p display, which i find not that bad, it's quite good for me..
And games won't be pixelated if you would run it on 768p on a 1080p display..

karkeo

Broken In
I just can't believe it!!...after weeks and weeks of confusion I finally decide upon the inspiron 17r Turbo and when I go and order it today....It is unavailable!!!...will take atleast FOUR WEEKS for it to get available!!

ya i know.
they said six weeks for mine.damn .
did you any discount or something .they said no for 17r!!!!
hope they will give disc if we order together ???

Gtb93

In the zone
Thanks ratul.
if dad allows, I might just go for the top end model, cause I've heard the saying that in the tech business, always go for the MOST you can afford. ;D

himanshubias

Broken In
well, i am not having any problems with it, have you installed the drivers over previous one, or is it a clean install??
It's better to clean install AMD Drivers..

i have done clean one
same thing happened with 12.9 beta also
in 12.9 i was able to open ccc for few time but then again same error came up:oops:

androiderrr

Broken In
Friends my cousion just bought Inspiron 15R SE with 3rd gen core i5,720p display and 4GB RAM.
He is looking to upgrade RAM to 8GB...so can any of you suggest RAM which compatible with this model?And also the place where I can get it?I live in Delhi

Gtb93

In the zone
Friends my cousion just bought Inspiron 15R SE with 3rd gen core i5,720p display and 4GB RAM.
He is looking to upgrade RAM to 8GB...so can any of you suggest RAM which compatible with this model?And also the place where I can get it?I live in Delhi
Get transcend or corsair 4gb from flipkart @1-1.5k :)

ratul

█████████████████
Do Dell 15R Turbo or SE have any Facebook Community :-?

not till now, but on your request, i have created one, here's the link for it:
Facebook Group DELL Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo

Thanks ratul.
if dad allows, I might just go for the top end model, cause I've heard the saying that in the tech business, always go for the MOST you can afford. ;D

that saying is damn 100% true.. :p

i have done clean one
same thing happened with 12.9 beta also
in 12.9 i was able to open ccc for few time but then again same error came up:oops:

well then AMD drivers might be conflicting with something on your system, try running "sfc /scannow" in cmd to ensure the system files integrity..

Last edited:

dayslleepper

Broken In
not till now, but on your request, i have created one, here's the link for it:
Facebook Group DELL Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo

Thanks for it... even though i am not a owner right now.. but plan to purchase it within 1 week.. Hope me too can join... Anyways request sent...

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
So have owned this laptop for 8 days now.
This is the battery status according to HWmonitor.

*i50.tinypic.com/1z300g2.png

Is this okay? I use the laptop fairly regularly. I charge it to 100% then disconnect ac power and use it on battery to 7% before charging it to full again. And I don't game on battery.

Any tips to prolong battery life? And also, it is okay to use the laptop while its charging?
It would suck if this battery runs out of juice in one year.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Is this okay? I use the laptop fairly regularly. I charge it to 100% then disconnect ac power and use it on battery to 7% before charging it to full again. And I don't game on battery.

Any tips to prolong battery life? And also, it is okay to use the laptop while its charging?

Make it 20-90% cycle. Using while charging is okay but not overdo it otherwise it will ruin your battery.

ratul

█████████████████

yes, it's normal for a DELL Battery, but don't discharge it to 7% regularly, take the minimum level to be 15-20%..
I once in 3-4 days use it on battery, then use it continuously while charging for next 3-4 days, this was when my wear level was 4% in first month usage, and now following this route, it's still 5.42% wear after 5 months..
*i.imgur.com/uDjx4.jpg​

My battery was @ 2% wear level when i received the lappy, so 2% increase in first two weeks usage (i used to game on it too), then 1.42% wear level in 5 months, so i think it's a good method to keep the wear level down in these Sanyo batteries, even if my laptop is almost 24hrs on charger.. :p
And i'm still getting ~4hrs in win8..

sfc shows every thing fine
dont know what happening
and not getting credit card for win 8 payment :-(

have you tried uninstalling the driver and then cleaning with driver sweeper???

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
@sujay thanks :)

@ratul "I once in 3-4 days use it on battery, then use it continuously while charging for next 3-4 days"

I didn't quite get this part.
You use the laptop on battery once every 3-4 days? But battery will probably last around 3.5 to 4 hours. Do you plug it in again and keep using it on charge for the next 3-4 days?

And using it while charging/plugged in to AC power for 3-4 days. I thought it was not okay to keep charging once the battery has fully charged up.

Could you elaborate a bit?

P.S:- Do you game at all now? :p I mean we're not supossed to game on battery,and I guess gaming while charging will lead to more heat= battery inefficiency. So no gaming then? :p

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
@sujay thanks :)

@ratul "I once in 3-4 days use it on battery, then use it continuously while charging for next 3-4 days"

I didn't quite get this part.
You use the laptop on battery once every 3-4 days? But battery will probably last around 3.5 to 4 hours. Do you plug it in again and keep using it on charge for the next 3-4 days?

And using it while charging/plugged in to AC power for 3-4 days. I thought it was not okay to keep charging once the battery has fully charged up.

Could you elaborate a bit?

P.S:- Do you game at all now? :p I mean we're not supossed to game on battery,and I guess gaming while charging will lead to more heat= battery inefficiency. So no gaming then? :p

yes you interpreted it right, i keep it on charge for 3-4 days, and still i game alot, as my diwali holidays are going on, 6-8hrs gaming sessions in a day.. :p
and most of the laptops today have the system to cut power to battery when fully charged, so as to prevent overcharging of batteries.
A quotation from here:
*i.imgur.com/RBFE7.jpg
And gaming on battery leads to more heat, but you can't game on battery and can't game while keeping battery out, as here where i live, we have sudden power-cuts once in 2-3days where light goes out for 5 mins and then comes back, so gaming while battery out would lead to sudden shutdown of lappy.. That kills the purpose of having the laptop.. :p
So only thing left is to game on battery, and i don't think that after 5 months i have noticed any significant depletion in battery backup, though i'll try for a battery replacement at the end of my 1 yr battery warranty.. :p

I am getting this error while running ati catalyst......

Could not load CLL.Implementation....

what to do?? any idea??

Try the solution provided here
The problem i think has to be with .NET framework, uninstall all .NET framework versions, re-install them updated, also clean install the Catalyst..

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ @ ratul

I see @_@
My battery wear level just went up to 5% :/ Time to try out your technique for the next 2 weeks :p
If battery wear remains same I will continue using your method :p

BTW don't you have a ups for your desktop at home?
Yo can do this too. Connect a spike guard to ups=> remove laptop battery and run lappy on ac power from the spike guard. That way even if powercut occurs, you won't get a total shutdown of lappy :p

P.S:- Is the "Enter" key a little repressed than all the other keys? Very slightly though. It seems to be at a slightly lower level than the other keys.

Top Bottom