Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

karkeo

Broken In
I created my cart today in dell website.
17r(i5 one ) chose the fhd one.
and i think its crossing 70k.(35k is paid by ma company)
i spoke to sales and they say that there is no discount 3% offered in 17"ones. coz its manufactured in malaysia ?!!!!!!!
I don't see any good laptops with 70k either.

expecting their call tomorrow . and am planning to buy 120gig ssd also.
so any suggestions before i finalize ma decision.
I was waitin for dv7,envy7 etc but no luck.

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
Deletd english(India) and set to english(US).

Issue fixed. No problem with the key anymore :)

Okay so I installed my old games arkham asylum and dirt 2 to check gpu capabilities.
However, I am getting 25-30 fps in dirt 2 all maxed out and 45-60 fps in arkham asylum all maxed out. This seems a bit low for the 7730m. I am talking about dirt 2 here.

Is it using hd 4000??

I have set both games to "high performance" mode though.

well, even if we take 7730m~640m, then here's 640m's fps in dirt 2:
*i.imgur.com/L9XAn.jpg​

dheemanth10

Broken In
Does anyone have an issue with the apostrophe/quotes key? As in you have to press the key and then space or another letter to make the " ' "sign appear?
go to control panel , change input methods and select english (india) ..remove other options if present ..its a well known bug in windows 8

Vaibhav Sharma

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys ...I m planning to buy the inspiron 15R Turbo but im confused between these two:
1.)Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India[online price:55,490]
2.)Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India[online price:63,490]

Which one is better in performance and quality??(ofcourse the 2nd one is better:mrgreen:...im just asking how much better)
I'm gonna be using the laptop mainly for some college work (Autocad/Matlab etc.),watching Full HD movies & videos.....I am not gonna be playing demanding games very frequently but i expect good overall performance of laptop..
I have a few questions regarding these two laptops:
1.)[IMPORTANT]Are they both gonna be available till december?...I'm planning to buy next month...also should i expect any rise in the prices of two by then??
2.)[IMPORTANT]How much will each one of them cost me(total price including vat etc..)
3.)Is there any differnce in battery life of two??
4.)Are there any heating issues in them?
5.)How does the presence of i5 rather than i7 in 1st laptop affect my experience??(considering that it is the only differnce between the two)

Reply ASAP!!!

ratul

█████████████████
Hi Guys ...I m planning to buy the inspiron 15R Turbo but im confused between these two:
1.)Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India[online price:55,490]
2.)Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India[online price:63,490]

Which one is better in performance and quality??(ofcourse the 2nd one is better:mrgreen:...im just asking how much better)
I'm gonna be using the laptop mainly for some college work (Autocad/Matlab etc.),watching Full HD movies & videos.....I am not gonna be playing demanding games very frequently but i expect good overall performance of laptop..
I have a few questions regarding these two laptops:
1.)[IMPORTANT]Are they both gonna be available till december?...I'm planning to buy next month...also should i expect any rise in the prices of two by then??
2.)[IMPORTANT]How much will each one of them cost me(total price including vat etc..)
3.)Is there any differnce in battery life of two??
4.)Are there any heating issues in them?
5.)How does the presence of i5 rather than i7 in 1st laptop affect my experience??(considering that it is the only differnce between the two)

Reply ASAP!!!

1.) AFAIK, yes, but can't say about the prices, hopefully dell won't increase the price before the next year.
2.) Just include 5% VAT.
3.) Yes, but not that much, i own the i7 one, and after installing win8, i am getting ~4hrs, actually i7 used is of 35W TDP, which is same as of the i5 used, so both uses same power, but i7 uses some more when in turbo mode, so 15-20min less battery backup would be my guess.
4.) Nup, these laptops are one of the most "coolest" 3rd gen laptops.
5.) Very much for you, as you are gonna work mostly on matlab and all, so having i7's 4 cores would definitely serve you better than 2 core i5..

karkeo

Broken In
what the hell
dell 17r(i5) costing 73k!!!!
one model is available in stock and there is a waiting period of 5 weeks for new model .
damn.
what to do???????

game-freak

In the zone
hi i recently purchased dell inspiron 15r turbo and while playing borderland2 at 1366 x 768 im getting only 30 fps is that ok or am i getting less and how do i check im my graphic card is running the application and if the drivers are up to date thanx in advance

Last edited:

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Hi,

To all new Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo users, a few queries regarding Windows 8 upgrade-

1. Have you upgraded to Windows 8?
2. Has the upgrade been an easy experience?
3. How is system performance - has it improved or stayed the same in terms of speed, battery life, compatibility etc?

Raj07

Right off the assembly line
Has anyone tried installing ubuntu in the dell inspiron 15r with win 8 in it.
I want a dual boot with win 8 + ubuntu 12.10
Here's what i did
shrunk my 1tb hd to 500gb.So now i had 500gb free for ubuntu
then installed ubuntu in that space.
now the prblem is when i restart the machine it simply boots to win 8.
why dont i see the grub loader?

ratul

█████████████████
Hi,

To all new Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo users, a few queries regarding Windows 8 upgrade-

1. Have you upgraded to Windows 8?
2. Has the upgrade been an easy experience?
3. How is system performance - has it improved or stayed the same in terms of speed, battery life, compatibility etc?

1. Yes.
2. Yes, i clean installed windows 8 in just 15mins..
3. Improved in speed, battery life, but some things are not compatible with it, like my USB keyboard is'nt detected by Win8, instead it just hangs the system when i connect it..

himanshubias

Broken In
i installed 12.11 beta 7 drivers today
my games are running on good fps than before but i was not able to open to catalyst control center
host application stops responding
here is the screenshot.... error.JPG

game-freak

In the zone
hi i recently purchased dell inspiron 15r turbo and while playing borderland2 at 1366 x 768 im getting only 30 fps is that ok or am i getting less and how do i check im my graphic card is running the application and if the drivers are up to date thanx in advance

can sm1 plz answer my query above

Gtb93

In the zone
Hey guys I have this doubt that's been bothering me and I'd appreciate your help.

From a very gaming-centric view- Would i5 be a better choice, or i7. I don't run many cpu-intensive programs, and will only do the very basic multi=tasking ie. browsers, music/videos, etc that's all. Thing is I don't consider the 15r top model, to be VFM. I mean for 68-69k. Hence, I was wondering if I'd really need an i7 for my needs. Keeping in mind though, I will play a lot of games(no, PC is not an option(hostel/pg)), and I'm following a certain 'suryavashi's' videos on youtube, same laptop, but the i7 variant ie. and 7730M seems to be handling everything pretty good from there.I watched a video uploaded by ratul here, too. Your views/opinions would be appreciated.

Secondly, the screen dilemna. I know FHD looks stunning, but can the 7730M handle it well? I mean no point in spending 69k+ on a laptop where I'd have to sacrifice graphic settings just to make it look good on screen. Is the 1366*something ie normal screen really bad? Another thing, IF incase I get an FHD display model, and then run games on 1366, will it look pixelated/grainy?

The i5 8GB is only FHD based now, that's one issue! But then there's the i7 4gb, to which I can add a simple 4gbram(transcend/corsair) from FK for 1k. The i7 4gb comes with a regular 1366* display or the very basic i5 4gb to which again I can add 4gb ram and sort the display issue.

Next, the pricing thing.
I had a chat with the sales expert/manager via chat. He said only the 5% VAT would be charged if I order online via Dell's site. (I live in mumbai). I asked if the 'local taxes and jurisidction' thing would be charged to which he said NO. Plus, I asked about student discount, he said you can avail a 3% d/c if you produce an I/D card. So that would mean, I'd only get a net (5-3) 2% increase on the mentioned price right? I ask you guys this, to know if there are any more hidden costs along the way, from ordering/shipping/delivery, etc?
I'm estimating.
i54gb-51500+1030=52530
i58gbFHD-55500+1110=56610
i74gb-57500+1150=58650
i78gb-60500+1210=61710
i78gbFHD-63500+1270=64770

Which would be the logical choice?
Sorry for all these questions, just confused.
Regards

saaransh9

Journeyman
Hey guys I have this doubt that's been bothering me and I'd appreciate your help.

From a very gaming-centric view- Would i5 be a better choice, or i7. I don't run many cpu-intensive programs, and will only do the very basic multi=tasking ie. browsers, music/videos, etc that's all. Thing is I don't consider the 15r top model, to be VFM. I mean for 68-69k. Hence, I was wondering if I'd really need an i7 for my needs. Keeping in mind though, I will play a lot of games(no, PC is not an option(hostel/pg)), and I'm following a certain 'suryavashi's' videos on youtube, same laptop, but the i7 variant ie. and 7730M seems to be handling everything pretty good from there.I watched a video uploaded by ratul here, too. Your views/opinions would be appreciated.

Secondly, the screen dilemna. I know FHD looks stunning, but can the 7730M handle it well? I mean no point in spending 69k+ on a laptop where I'd have to sacrifice graphic settings just to make it look good on screen. Is the 1366*something ie normal screen really bad? Another thing, IF incase I get an FHD display model, and then run games on 1366, will it look pixelated/grainy?

The i5 8GB is only FHD based now, that's one issue! But then there's the i7 4gb, to which I can add a simple 4gbram(transcend/corsair) from FK for 1k. The i7 4gb comes with a regular 1366* display or the very basic i5 4gb to which again I can add 4gb ram and sort the display issue.

Next, the pricing thing.
I had a chat with the sales expert/manager via chat. He said only the 5% VAT would be charged if I order online via Dell's site. (I live in mumbai). I asked if the 'local taxes and jurisidction' thing would be charged to which he said NO. Plus, I asked about student discount, he said you can avail a 3% d/c if you produce an I/D card. So that would mean, I'd only get a net (5-3) 2% increase on the mentioned price right? I ask you guys this, to know if there are any more hidden costs along the way, from ordering/shipping/delivery, etc?
I'm estimating.
i54gb-51500+1030=52530
i58gbFHD-55500+1110=56610
i74gb-57500+1150=58650
i78gb-60500+1210=61710
i78gbFHD-63500+1270=64770

Which would be the logical choice?
Sorry for all these questions, just confused.
Regards

actually price mentioned are wrong it will cost u less as the discount is given after including vat.so it is like (SP+vat)-discount

himanshubias

Broken In

You can check wheather your gpu is running the app using amd system moniter
just google it you will find the link
and the latest driver on amd site is 12.11 beta 7
though i am getting some prob with it dont know about others
you can also cheak dell site under support n drivers

sj2202

Broken In
I just can't believe it!!...after weeks and weeks of confusion I finally decide upon the inspiron 17r Turbo and when I go and order it today....It is unavailable!!!...will take atleast FOUR WEEKS for it to get available!!

Top Bottom