Custom Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan
Re: Linux Ghandigiri - Invitations for Everyone!

get it going...:), put something out, it will be fun and will be a good learning point ..:)

So where is the final package list?

I ask reputed members like Infra, Prakash, Cyrus, mehulved, etc to tell some good programs for each of the catogaries:

1. Multimedia Playback

2. Multimedia/Graphics Editing

3. Fun and Games

4. Eye Candy

5. Compiling, Programming resources

6. Drivers

7. Non free/restricted utilities and essentials like flash, java, acrobat, codecs, etc.

8. Window Managers to be included apart from Gnome

OK, URGENT advice needed:

I am going to be installing Gutsy Gibbon now that my drive is all fine. Please tell me if I should try instead to use a remastered CD for install, as I want to experiment and see how good a reconstructered DVD will be.

Last edited:
OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

i dont think anyone will reply today :-D. give it a day or two . consider a poll, but am afraid of it cause of no of Linux users here . but most importantly DONT GIVE UP .nothing good comes to those who give up :).

keep irritating them ;-). they will help you , those lazy bunch of peoples :-D

Last edited:

Actually, the building process may start quite soon, even within a few days. Expect it before february.

but the difficult part is to finalise a list of things it must include and things it must not include, which needs a full night's dreaming for something to come up for a dream exploiter like me.

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

dont hurry up mate . . its only been a day since we got the idea na . . do ask every one , get a list and then push
it out :).

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

may be he will push this thread from now on :-D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
User Name

the two option which we,as indians can do as a:
1) Programmer:
make new softwares which are helpful.the options ranges many--like bug fix patches for gnome apps to be send to bugzilla and/or for ur distro's bugzilla.
2)as a user/enthusiast/etc:
help localizing Gnome or kde and other application docs and interfaces to your language or languages you know.
theming,arts:this is what ird already done.here too options are ...you have to choose!
Best of Luck
There are other roles too.
1) Localise documentation - it is as important as localising software
2) Report bugs and file feature requests
3) Write documentation

Coming to the point, mehulved has explained the ins and out very clearly,
there's so much more I haven't covered as yet
Hitboxx said:
there are so many legalities involved and you will just need a very dedicated team and also finance.
Truem, it will be difficult to circumvent the laws and include proprietory components. There are ways around but require good knowledge of legal system eg. bundling of mp3 decoder in debian without violating DFSG so mp3's can be played out of the box in debian but the same can't be done by ubuntu, fedora, etc cos of for profit organisations beyond their distribution. You see that requires deep knowledge of laws which none of us have.
Also, where are you going to host the distro?

Not to be pessimistic but it's pointless to create more parallel projects just because you can. It's justified if you're doing something path breaking or something that has some chances of offering positive outcomes.
Here you are offering crutches to a child who is learning to walk.
As I suggested earlier, why not some of you good at multimedia work, create some nice content or spread some work under CC licenses in open format, thus promoting open formats.

Last edited:

this is just an eXperiment to eXperience.
we find out the best combination for us, publish instructions and give to friends.
then we forget it.

Drivers

Nice idea. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes i'm ready to help.Tell me in case you need any offline package.
I need an offline package of the nVidia and ATi Drivers, prefereval a .deb or .bin containing all the drivers ever needed that automatically installs the right one. Anyting close available?

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

i see mehul reading the thread . . prepare for some discouragement :-D.
no offence mate ;-)

CadCrazy

in search of myself

Well .deb packages for nvidia and ati are available but are developed by open source guys without fully knowing their architecture. So its not a good idea to install these. Better use binary installer provided by nvidia and ATI. I am working on some more easy way to install nvidia/ati driver installation. Once successful ll post it

How is the binary installer for the driver? Does it detect the card automatically and install the driver or do we have to install the right package? Tell for each of the cases.

CadCrazy

in search of myself

The detailed instructions are listed in first post of Offline Ubuntu Package Center. I'am working on an easy method with the help of envy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom