Custom Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan
Re: Linux Ghandigiri - Invitations for Everyone!

i expect a fruit out of this :). pra , whats wrong in putting this one out mate . . . its not like it will make the biggest change in the world or the worst tragedy . lets just get the car out and roll na . . then we will see

OK, how about putting a list of things to be added? What suggestion for the Custom Theme(i.e, no Mac4Lin as the default boot theme)?

I suggest this: *www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Sleek+Dragon?content=25716

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

i cant check it now , am on phone . . i will do tomorrow :).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

if we dont get a web site ,why dont we make it unofficial just as a project kind of thing. if it takes up . then we will make a site :)

lets not say not supported , it will scare the noobs . . lets just say "its a project "kind of thing.
It's all about licensing. Today innovations in computers is hindered a lot more because of legalities than technicalities. Just look at the sheer number of big licences around and the
incompatibilites
between them. And the lawsuits filed for violating the license terms.
Why do you think big distros refuse to have most of the non-GPL software? Even if they can put some of them, it comes with HUGE disclaimers.
And before embarking upon creating a new distro review the number of distros around and think what new can you add?
It's fine to create distros for learning purpose but beyond that you need a dedicated team of developers then form a small community around the distro before you get anywhere.

It's all about licensing. Today innovations in computers is hindered a lot more because of legalities than technicalities. Just look at the sheer number of big licences around and the
incompatibilites
between them. And the lawsuits filed for violating the license terms.
Why do you think big distros refuse to have most of the non-GPL software? Even if they can put some of them, it comes with HUGE disclaimers.
And before embarking upon creating a new distro review the number of distros around and think what new can you add?
It's fine to create distros for learning purpose but beyond that you need a dedicated team of developers then form a small community around the distro before you get anywhere.

OK, please understand the scope of this project:

"We plan to make a list of settings with reconstructor on ubuntu so as to make this distro cool looking, easy to use and with lots of apps that are used by us."

So its just a simple hack on ubuntu. But simple as it is, a good one will still do some good.

Anyway, a good wallpaper as the default:
*img504.imageshack.us/img504/8435/67031tuxaudir8xgalz2.th.jpg

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

but its not even meant to be commercial , its just a trial hit. just like a custom flavour for lets say , digit team here :). and its like "if you like it , get it , but dont expect any support "to others .:-l. i dono , what do you think ???

mehulved

but its not even meant to be commercial , its just a trial hit. just like a custom flavour for lets say , digit team here :). and its like "if you like it , get it , but dont expect any support "to others .:-l. i dono , what do you think ???
Problem isn't whether it's commercial or not but the problem is how will you distribute it without violating IP laws?

OP
x3060

x3060

A LOTR fan

we can create one by ourself na :).

@mehul. . . mm, i did not think about that :-(. hey let me ask you something straight .
do the indian laws allow a Linux disto with 3d, all media codecs build in it to be distributed ?

to think of it , its not a brand new one . its an addon to Ubuntu , and it will have nvidia and ati included in it . with all bells ringing from word go. and will play mp3, video ,dvd out of box. some interface tweak and others like that . . now my question is -is such a disto allowed to be distributed ?

Last edited:

mehulved

<DISCLAIMER> I am no expert, just have a very basic understanding of laws</DISCLAIMER>
3D would be easily available for intel chipsets without anything proprietory needing to be bundled. But, other things are in the gray areas in the Indian IT act.
As long as people in India are using it, it's fine but if you put it up on the internet, I am sure people from different countries will come and try it out. That's where it all causes a problem.
Rather what prakash said is true, contribute packages to your favourite distro.
Like you people have taken up the subject of mac4lin. Instead of creating a different distro with mac4lin as default theme. Create a package for mac4lin for your distro. I know I should have been working on ubuntu package but some problems has delayed me for some more time. Other things you can take up is find multimedia under CC license which can be easily shared, convert it to free formats and distribute it around. Once the free formats become as widely used as the commercial formats, you won't have to worry about getting to play all your media out of the box. Then other things that can be done with relation to Indian side is work on Indic translation. Those good with atleast one indian language can try their bit and contribute to localisation.
That would be much more useful to the OSS community then having another distro out there.
BTW, there were discussions on rolling out a unofficial digit distro some years back too. Even I was keen on working on it then but when you get inside the community and see where the things are lacking you will clearly see that we don't need just another distro unless it's radically different.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

<DISCLAIMER> I am no expert, just have a very basic understanding of laws</DISCLAIMER>
3D would be easily available for intel chipsets without anything proprietory needing to be bundled. But, other things are in the gray areas in the Indian IT act.
As long as people in India are using it, it's fine but if you put it up on the internet, I am sure people from different countries will come and try it out. That's where it all causes a problem.
Rather what prakash said is true, contribute packages to your favourite distro.
Like you people have taken up the subject of mac4lin. Instead of creating a different distro with mac4lin as default theme. Create a package for mac4lin for your distro. I know I should have been working on ubuntu package but some problems has delayed me for some more time. Other things you can take up is find multimedia under CC license which can be easily shared, convert it to free formats and distribute it around. Once the free formats become as widely used as the commercial formats, you won't have to worry about getting to play all your media out of the box. Then other things that can be done with relation to Indian side is work on Indic translation. Those good with atleast one indian language can try their bit and contribute to localisation.
That would be much more useful to the OSS community then having another distro out there.
BTW, there were discussions on rolling out a unofficial digit distro some years back too. Even I was keen on working on it then but when you get inside the community and see where the things are lacking you will clearly see that we don't need just another distro unless it's radically different.

Exactly the point I was making.

praka123

left this forum longback

the two option which we,as indians can do as a:
1) Programmer:
make new softwares which are helpful.the options ranges many--like bug fix patches for gnome apps to be send to bugzilla and/or for ur distro's bugzilla.
2)as a user/enthusiast/etc:
help localizing Gnome or kde and other application docs and interfaces to your language or languages you know.
theming,arts:this is what ird already done.here too options are ...you have to choose!
Best of Luck

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Are you guys that retarded you can't even spell Gandhi? And its Gandhigiri ffs.

Coming to the point, mehulved has explained the ins and out very clearly, there are so many legalities involved and you will just need a very dedicated team and also finance. Don't think everything will be rosy once you put out the distro. Personally I would say to forget this thing and instead concentrate on contributing in your own ways to the already built-up community.

mehulved

And as for distributing these extra add-ons they can easily be created as extra cd's using apt-on-cd and distribted around rather than remastering ubuntu and adding in all that. Those can be easily distributed around in our country without any real problems. Only problem is when people from those regions where these laws are valid try to download it. How will you deal with that when you are distributing it on the net.
Though most likely you won't be sued as it will just be a loss to whoever tries to sue but you may get a cease notice.

There is no fear from cease notices, as we will mostely distribute this via torrents. And we needn't worry about downloaders from other countries, as it won't exactly be OUR problem. We can attach a huge disclaimer that this is legal only in a few countries and warn citizens of the US for example to handle this product with caution.

@cyrus: And please don't call this a commertial venture

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Mint... Freespire.. they don't use GPL fully. Its the same way. But one thing is for sure. Its not just that you create something and forget. You need to give support to it and its not an easy job. Ask me.

And most here haf prolly never created a distro of their own. This experiment would be fun, a step ahead in learning OSS.

More seriously, I think we should work towards a pack which contains the following: restricted extras (flash, codecs, binary drivers etc.), good set of themes, font enhancements etc. and distribute it to those who use Ubuntu and/or Fedora. These are popular distros and the first/second choice of Linux for a new comer. But these out of box experiences makes the user think twice before trying out Linux. So all these things alongwith a nice scripted/gui installers burnt on a CD should be a nice idea :) One click install to Essentials (drivers, codecs etc.), one click install for GUI Enhancement.. and more users will wanna try out Linux.

The reason many people fear is coz of this: They haf only heard about Ubuntu and Fedora as long as Linux distros are concerned. They get hold of a copy and then due their mp3s not playing and downloading of binary drivers (all that can't be bundled with the default install), they shun Linux.

So I think its in the best interest of all of us to work on something like this, a nice compilation of essentials/enhancements coupled with a one-click install and handing them over to your frens (on CDs) and/or uploading to some site so that people get everything in one place is a nice idea.

We can actually group these addons according to their licences so that even people in countries like US can use it :)

ray|raven

Think Zen.

Sounds intersting,lets see how far this goes.

Regards,
ray

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

@cyrus: And please don't call this a commertial venture

Are yaar, when I meant commercial, I didn't mean that we're going to make money with it. When you start distributing a new product whether you make money or not, it is commercial...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom