CPU/Chipset News

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Yup, AMD still wins, especially with Propous quads at 125$

After all we care about gaming, not stupid scores of these benchmarks.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
core i3 is not available for $84. That's Pentium. Core i3 starts at $123 and that is not retail price. That's price of 1000 piece lot I believe for distributors.

haha. P45 doesn't have any video chip onboard. Still it's priced at 5k and I do not see any real benefits of power savings on this board and G31 board gives better deal in that note than a P45 without onboard video. Don't expect Intel to go easy on pricing!

Mortal blow?? hmm. That's interesting. With processor to be available in market for some 140$ (after retail pricing), I seriously doubt if it would be a mortal blow when a 99$ AMD dual beats it in gaming and a 125$ quad core AMD processor beats it in AV rendering.

This certainly is bad pricing put by Intel. If they want to pull AMD crowd, they have to put some aggressive pricing.

first I seriously doubt if P51 can be available for 2k and even then, people will prefer 785G for 1k more than to gave a on-die chip that is insanely inferior in graphical capability.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

True. Even in those, it is shown that this core i3 is competing with core2duo lineup which has become near to obsolete. In that, it gets easily beaten by AMD triple core and quad cores which are again priced in same price point.

Propus Quads at 125$ ? Link please. I want confirmation. I bet they could underclock the 2.3GHz 45W propus to 2GHz and bring it to 35W and make it available for laptops at a low price :D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Athlon II X4 630 is to be the fastest quad in that lineup and it's expected price is $160 and there are total of half a dozen CPUs in that lineup and hence I don't see any reason why the entry level shouldn't be priced at $125.

You want link to the story? here it is "*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1149134&postcount=205"

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Latest 785G Motherboards Continue to Support Core Unlocking

When it first surfaced that some triple-core and dual-core AMD Phenom series processors could make their disabled cores available under special circumstances thanks to shoddy BIOS-coding associated with the Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC), the anomaly quickly transformed into a potential selling-point for AMD processors, that with the right motherboard, a cheaper AMD processor could be unlocked into a significantly powerful processor for the price. Although AMD made noise calling motherboard vendors to quickly isolate and fix the issue, months on, it hasn't been fixed even with AMD's newest desktop platform based on the AMD 785G+SB710 chipset. An almost deliberate precedent, one we can't have problem with.

Chinese website Coolaler.com has learned that MSI's newest AMD 785G motherboard, the 785GM-E65, can not only unlock the two disabled cores on the Phenom II X2 550, but also provide reasonable overclocking stability for the processor. Coolaler used a retail Phenom II X2 550 on the new motherboard, and simply set the ACC feature in the BIOS setup to "auto" (which enables it from the BIOS end). The system booted with all physical cores on the processor enabled, and allowed overclocking it to 3.609 GHz (18 x 200 MHz, 1.344 V). The chip was subjected to full-load using two instances of Orthos to test its stability, to which it emerged fairly stable.

Athlon II X4 630 is to be the fastest quad in that lineup and it's expected price is $160 and there are total of half a dozen CPUs in that lineup and hence I don't see any reason why the entry level shouldn't be priced at $125.

You want link to the story? here it is "*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1149134&postcount=205"
WTF you linked to your own post :-D

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Wow.. AMD is giong MAD these days.. it seems to me that all of us have a soft corner for AMD in our hearts.. anyways.. what about the new AMD Phenom II 965 or something from AMD? Any news?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
First review of 785G:

Here's the bottom line: the 785G is a welcome update to a highly-regarded IGP, but with no more raw power than the 780G it will replace. The 785G is essentially the 780G chipset re-introduced with a number of attractive features, and it looks even better beside AMD's value-oriented Phenom II and Athlon II processors.

Is the 785G the best IGP out there? The answer is going to depend on what the PC will be used for and whether the apps you want to run work better with a Phenom II or Core 2 processor. With this in mind, let's examine a few of the primary reasons someone would want an integrated chipset, and specific recommendations for those applications.

Read on

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Wow.. AMD is giong MAD these days.. it seems to me that all of us have a soft corner for AMD in our hearts.. anyways.. what about the new AMD Phenom II 965 or something from AMD? Any news?

Phenom II X4 965 to Launch on Aug. 13

AMD's timely update to its high-end desktop processor lineup is on course for August 13. The Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (PIB model: HDZ965FBGIBOX or HDZ965FBK4DGI) is a quad-core socket AM3 processor that comes with a clock speed of 3.40 GHz, and an unlocked bus multiplier like other Black Edition series models. It is reported by Brightside of News that the NDA over the chip will be lifted on August 13, letting reviewers publish reviews. Retail availability can be expected shortly afterwards.

According to Expreview.com, the chip was listed on Technologic, an online store, for 178.97 GBP. It gives us a glimpse of what the pricing could look like. Like its predecessors 955 BE and 940 BE, the 965 BE could start off at around US $270 or $250. At 3.40 GHz, the 965 BE will be AMD's fastest processor in terms of default clock speed. Phenom II X4 955 BE and Athlon64 X2 6400+ BE hold the 3.20 GHz spot currently.

Read on

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
785G Review roundup:

Hexus.net:

AMD's new 785G chipset is an updated version of the popular 780G model that debuted well over a year ago. The graphics portion of the chipset, Radeon HD 4200, has been upgraded by pulling DX10.1 and UVD2.0 features from a discrete Radeon HD 3000-series card, but the core speed, at 500MHz, remain the same. CPU support is present for the very latest AMD Socket AM3 chips, and that means the use of DDR3 modules on most boards. Keeping costs low-ish, we'll see the majority of motherboards pair up the RS785G northbridge with the SB710 RAID5-less southbridge.
The chipset makes sense if building a low-cost PC that's good for (very) casual gaming and multimedia usage. A case in point is the system setup used for evaluation, replete with a Phenom II X2 550 BE chip and 4GB of DDR3 memory. Add in a £65 785G board and you'll have decent change from £200.
AMD's 785G is an incremental upgrade from 780G and we can recommend it to readers looking for a new system that doesn't break the bank. If you can live with integrated graphics and want a no-nonsense, solid system, it's as good as any.

Hardwarezone:

Our quick test on the graphics and HD playback capabilities of the AMD 785G has shown a significant improvement over its predecessor. While the overall verdict on its 3D gaming performance remains a resounding nay for hardcore gamers, casual or older games should find the AMD 785G decent, especially if you pair it with a newer and more powerful processor than our example.

pcperspective:

AMD is still on a roll when it comes to integrated graphics. With NVIDIA concentrating on ION, and Intel still producing inferior integrated graphics, AMD really still stands at the top of the integrated hill. While it is debatable if that is actually a badge of merit to some, the engineering behind such a solution is still impressive. It cannot be denied that the integrated market is the largest single market in the PC world, and AMD has again staked its claim at having one of the best all around solutions. Now that AMD actually has processors that are competitive with Intel, it is a further advantage for AMD.
The gaming performance of the 785G is “good enough” for most people. It will play older games at higher resolutions and quality settings, but still can play more modern titles at lower resolutions and quality settings. Casual games such as Sims 3 should have no issues with running on the 785G. AMD’s recent driver support has been very good, and while they may not put in CrossFire profiles for the latest games until a month or two after release, we can rest assured that even newer titles will work without problem on the 785G. If there is one area where Intel is consistently criticized for, it is compatibility with many gaming titles. While Intel has improved that with the G4x series of integrated chipsets, the promise of care free gaming from Intel is still a ways off.
I found very few negatives in the testing that I was able to do, and since it is more of an evolution than revolution, the 785G has a lot of software and driver support as is. The only real issue that I found was that we still suffer from the AHCI issues in Vista with the SB710 southbridge. In fact, AHCI performance in all OS’s is pretty lackluster at best, and it is usually a better idea just to stick with IDE functionality. Hopefully the upcoming SB800 that is supposed to show up early next year will fix these problems.

The Tech Report:

The 785G is undoubtedly an important integrated graphics chipset, particularly as we enter the back-to-school season and anxiously await Windows 7's launch, but I'm finding it hard to muster what feels like an appropriate level of excitement. Yes, the 785G will find its way into droves of budget systems powered by Microsoft's latest operating system. And yes, enthusiasts will probably snap up a good number of boards to build home theater PCs for themselves or basic desktops for friends and family. But the 785G isn't a radically new product. The integrated Radeon HD 4200 isn't much of an upgrade over the old 3200, and it's still woefully inadequate if you want to play the latest games at reasonable resolutions and detail levels. AMD also hasn't fixed its south bridge AHCI drivers, allowing the plague of poor Vista and XP performance scaling to infect Windows 7. Really, beyond some new features for the UVD and support for Socket AM3 processors, little has changed since the 780G.

hothardware:

Throughout our benchmarks, the new AMD 785G chipset performed very well. Compared to other AMD chipsets, it certainly performs well considering its price point, even keeping up with the premium priced 790FX for the most part. Compared to competing chipsets in the Intel camp, the AMD 785G looks like a very good value. In the general performance tests, the 785G kept pace with the whole field, and in gaming tests, the 785G showed that its IGP was clearly superior to Intel's GMA X4500. The GeForce 9300 outperforms the 785G in some games, but not by a wide margin and the 785G was able to come out on top in Half-Life 2.
Overall, AMD has produced one of the more flexible chipsets currently available for any platform. With the exception of top-end discrete multi-GPU gaming and serious server builds, the 785G can be configured to handle just about anything you want and you won't even need to sell your organs to afford it. With a sub-$100 debut price range, the 785G based motherboards are some of the best values around and they will be an excellent choice for nearly everyone in the market for a mainstream AMD motherboard.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
The 785G when OCed beats everything else!! Even 790GX.

BTW, REVIEW OF Core i7 i870 2.93GHz
*xtreview.com/images/1bench001.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench003.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench004.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench005.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench007.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench008.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench009.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench0010.PNG
*xtreview.com/images/1bench0011.PNG

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@compaddict.. but Tom's hardware says that there are no major gains of 785 G over 790 GX.. HD 4200 are not at par with HD 3300.. but they may run cooler I think..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
It's more like evolution of HD4770 over HD4850. It will not be faster but will have more overclocking headroom, consumes less power and dissipates less heat.

Top Bottom