Confusion between XBox 360 and Playstation3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
*Some* Ps3 500gb's ship with some faulty Hitachi HDD which causes framerate drops in games or something
I read this in the Official EU PS forums

Faulty drives in one or two cases does not mean all ps3 super slims are bad.
If those batches would have been really bad, then the issue would have been escalated at all places and not just the EU forums.

I saw that thread New PS3 Super Slim loading and lagging issues - PlayStation Forum

In his case, uncharted 2 is playing fine and uncharted 3 lags. Now how come a faulty hdd choose which game to run fine and which one to lag??

I suppose it must be a firmware issue or some update file for that game. He also experienced the same things in the replacement model.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Yeah that a valid point. But is it a strong reason to completely avoid the new model and start hunting for older and used slim versions?

I don't think its a strong enough reason to deter a buyer. Sony should have stuck with a slot loading bay here though.

Besides, the buyer also gets the option to get full 500gb ( actual space may be less ) with the new model or save money with 12gb one and later upgrade to a bigger hdd.
The 12gb's only flaw is that it comes without a hdd cage and that has to be bought separately in order to house a hdd.

Another thing about the non HDD model is, you lose access to the 12GB when you install an HDD.

Also, the price of a non-HDD PS3 + 500GB 2.5" HDD + Cage is similar (if not more- I'm not sure how much the cage costs) to the price of a 500GB PS3. So it makes no sense to me to get a PS3 without an HDD.

It isn't that much of a hassle to buy a new Slim 250GB PS3 IMHO. They are not that unavailable. Checking out more obscure (but authorised) electronics shops could yield results. Or he could look online (ebay.in has a few if I rmember correctly).

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
It isn't that much of a hassle to buy a new Slim 250GB PS3 IMHO. They are not that unavailable. Checking out more obscure (but authorised) electronics shops could yield results. Or he could look online (ebay.in has a few if I rmember correctly).

Yeah absolutely. Getting the older slim model at retail would be extremely good. I often wonder why the heck Sony went as far as replacing that model.
It was the best PS3 sku with a lot of advantages. This super slim was not at all required. The older slim looks much better than the new xbox 360 too.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Yeah absolutely. Getting the older slim model at retail would be extremely good. I often wonder why the heck Sony went as far as replacing that model.
It was the best PS3 sku with a lot of advantages. This super slim was not at all required. The older slim looks much better than the new xbox 360 too.

You don't think they would want to maximize profits at the fag end of this generation do you?

After all the Slim's revised model (the 3000 series vs the 2000/2500 series) was only slightly cheaper for them to produce. The Super slim is significant cost cutting.

Also, the number of revisions and redesigns the PS3 has gotten pales in comparison to the number that the PS2 got.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Revision is always part and parcel of any evolving system (then). and as you said super slim was a gimmic to sell more units.

The same kinda revisions are going to happen on PS4 as well.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I'm not sure what your point is.

you spoke about the revision that Ps3 went through and I said its bound to happen except the last 1 (to super slim ver) when there wasnt any significance improvement and it was money making strategy.

And i gave you a heads up to look forward for such revisions even in PS4 era.

Or do you think Sony wont revise PS4?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
you spoke about the revision that Ps3 went through and I said its bound to happen except the last 1 (to super slim ver) when there wasnt any significance improvement and it was money making strategy.

And i gave you a heads up to look forward for such revisions even in PS4 era.

Or do you think Sony wont revise PS4?

No, I do believe the PS4 will get revisions. Not trying to be rude or anything, but I just didn't see the relevance of that post.

Obviously, revisions are bound to happen. In this industry, as the market gets saturated, you have to revise your product so that you can counteract lesser sales with more profit per unit :) (and to also offer the product at a cheaper price to the consumer).

I will vote for PS3

He's already decided, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom