Confusion between XBox 360 and Playstation3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
OP it's quite difficult for us to assist you if you don't tell us about your preferences. What's your budget? What sort of games do you like? How important is the online experience for you?

As far as my opinion is concerned, you should undoubtedly go for the PS3. The 360's library is somewhat bland when compared to the PS3's, not only in terms of quality, but variety as well. You are bound to find something in almost every genre on the PS3.

As far as online is concerned, the PS3's online store needs some work. However, the 360's online community is notorious for being one of the most poisonous places on the web. As far as the paid online experience is concerned, PS3 wins hands down. You NEED Xbox Live for multiplayer, and even after paying $60 a year, you get an advertisement riddled experience. In contrast, you don't need PS+ for multiplayer, but getting PS+ means you get a couple of games FREE each month, and these games remain in your library provided you remain a PS+ subscriber.

And for all the praise the PS4 is getting, I would advise against buying a console on launch, unless there is a launch title you are crazy about. It's best to wait for ~1 year after the launch, for the prices to go down a bit, and letting the console library develop.

P.S. I just realized this sounds like an advertisement for the PS3, but trust me, unless COD is all you want to play, the PS3 is a much better choice.

I am eager for more of your insightful analysis.

I haven't read the previous posts, but you have three options:

A. Get a PS3 now. Period.
B. Wait for the PS4.
C. Get a Wii U.

PS3 doubles up as a blu-ray player, so is a good investment overall. I personally prefer the Xbox controller, nothing else against PS3.

Also, don't listen to the PC brigade. Consoles are excellent if you want to game, PCs are obsolete and you just can't keep upgrading every year. Gaming rigs are only for the super rich and the many kids on this forum who will argue endlessly about die size, architecture and forget all about the user.

PS2 was around for a long time after the launch of PS3, so don't worry about the longevity of the console.

Last, but most important, if you want a console, get it now. Don't wait for four-five months for a potential price drop. Five months of gaming is totally worth the extra money. Hope that clears your confusion.

@Chetan.g : Buy PS3 has a whole lot of exclusives like the recently released Last of Us,Killzone 3,Resistance 3,God of War 3,The upcoming Beyond:Two Souls and many more....PS3 also has free Multiplayer,for Xbox you have to pay 2.5k Per year/
It also is a better Media player than xbox because of
Inbuilt Blu-Ray drive
Better User Interface
Ability to store videos on HDD.

And you simply can't get a Good Gaming PC for 23k.
for a gaming PC(CPU/Cabinet and its contents only) your Minimum budget should be 45k

wait till November for PS4's release. if its under your budget then buy it or else wait for PS4 price drop. I don't think you will see any Xbox 360 Price drops till next year as Xbox One will be released end of next year in Asia.

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and feedback,

As far as i understood, that Play station 3 consoles are better in terms of Xbox 360, and I should opt PS 3 instead of Xbox 360.

But, 1} I did not got any comment about the gaming experience with Xbox 360 and Play Station 3 consoles. With regards with their motion sensors.

2} Its true that Playstation supports blu-ray player (blu-ray movies scenario u guys might be knowing) , and aint Xbox 360 supports DVD payer (which is easy to get these days)

3} My minimum budget is around 35K. I really like to play games like COD, Battle field, andGod of War-( i dont know coz i havent yet played), etc. Online presence or multiplayer online games not a preference to me.

4} I do not get the back compatibility funda of the games in these consoles (both X box and PS). Can u please elaborate or kindly give more information about this.

I am new to this console thing. Kindly help . thanks

Regards.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

As far as i understood, that Play station 3 consoles are better in terms of Xbox 360, and I should opt PS 3 instead of Xbox 360.

But, 1} I did not got any comment about the gaming experience with Xbox 360 and Play Station 3 consoles. With regards with their motion sensors.

2} Its true that Playstation supports blu-ray player (blu-ray movies scenario u guys might be knowing) , and aint Xbox 360 supports DVD payer (which is easy to get these days)

3} My minimum budget is around 35K. I really like to play games like COD, Battle field, andGod of War-( i dont know coz i havent yet played), etc. Online presence or multiplayer online games not a preference to me.

4} I do not get the back compatibility funda of the games in these consoles (both X box and PS). Can u please elaborate or kindly give more information about this.

Regards.

1) I've no idea. I hate motion gaming so I never tried it on either platform. I did like some of the Wii (and U) games that involved motion though.
2) Yes. PS3 has Blu-ray funtionality while Xbox only DVD.
3) Decide on the platform before deciding on the games ;)
4) PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 Games only. Previously PS2 support was there but with the redesigns and hardware revisions they removed that functionality to make the console cheaper.

I hope this helps.

BombayBoy

Journeyman

Regards.

Comment about gaming experience differs from gamer to gamer.
Motion gaming is better on the PS3 because of the presence of an actual controller instead of you being the controller. But neither platform has offered an awesome title for using motion control.

Blu-ray is better than any DVD you can get.

You could play PS2 games on the earlier models of PS3. Not an option now.

Get the Sony PlayStation 3™ and you won't regret. If you are waiting, then you can choose between the next gen consoles.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Motion gaming is better on the PS3 because of the presence of an actual controller instead of you being the controller. But neither platform has offered an awesome title for using motion control.

Get the Sony PlayStation 3™ and you won't regret. If you are waiting, then you can choose between the next gen consoles.

youve not heard about heavy rain?

you arent a gaming fanatic, why worry about backward compatibility. It would be totally reasonable if u had a 100+ original ps2 game collection.

Regards.

1. only a few games like heavy rain have properly utilized motion gaming.

2. DVD's are easier to get, but 2 years down the line you wont find them... blu ray is here to stay and pretty affordable too you can pick up a blu ray movie for about 500 bucks.

3. the cheapest ps3 will cost you about 12-15k ( 12gb edition without the games ) so you can invest a little in a headset and the rest in games. Look for offers as many of these games are old now.

4. Backward compatibility is for those who have large libraries of games on the previous console, so if their console stops working someday you arent left without an option to play your game. But trust me, after a point its useless as you neither have the time nor the energy.

BombayBoy

Journeyman

you arent a gaming fanatic, why worry about backward compatibility. It would be totally reasonable if u had a 100+ original PS2 game collection.

2. DVD's are easier to get, but 2 years down the line you wont find them... blu ray is here to stay and pretty affordable too you can pick up a blu ray movie for about 500 bucks.

3. the cheapest ps3 will cost you about 12-15k ( 12gb edition without the games ) so you can invest a little in a headset and the rest in games. Look for offers as many of these games are old now.

4. Backward compatibility is for those who have large libraries of games on the previous console, so if their console stops working someday you arent left without an option to play your game. But trust me, after a point its useless as you neither have the time nor the energy.

No, I haven't heard about Heavy Rain. I have played the game.

I'm not worried about backward compatibility. I have a PS2.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
@chetan.g - A month ago I was looking for options in console gaming as I wanted to try some console exclusives which will never ever surface onto the pc (Yeah I am a hardcore pc gamer, but now i see myself playing more of console games than pc from past 1 month).

2 things that i was looking for was the game list that I would love to play and the support for the console as PS4/XBone were around the corner soon (Now we already know which is coming first and also the better console)

The much important aspect in choosing a console is the game list (unlike what someone said in this thread before) that you want to play because there are exclusives for each of the consoles and you cant play them on the other one apart from the cross platform games.

As I have a gaming pc myself it was easy for me to decide on PS3, as almost all the exclusives on Xbox comes onto PC as both are powered by MS.

Checkout the exclusive games (youtube videos and reviews) on each of the consoles and i am sure you will end up buying a PS3 for the varied and quality titles on it :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I personally think that if motion is a must then just get a damn Wii U and play Wii games on it (you will have to buy a Wiimote and Nunchuck separately though).

Otherwise, either a PS3 or Wii U right now or PS4 or Wii U a few months later.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
@chetan.g - A month ago I was looking for options in console gaming as I wanted to try some console exclusives which will never ever surface onto the pc (Yeah I am a hardcore pc gamer, but now i see myself playing more of console games than pc from past 1 month).

2 things that i was looking for was the game list that I would love to play and the support for the console as PS4/XBone were around the corner soon (Now we already know which is coming first and also the better console)

The much important aspect in choosing a console is the game list (unlike what someone said in this thread before) that you want to play because there are exclusives for each of the consoles and you cant play them on the other one apart from the cross platform games.

As I have a gaming pc myself it was easy for me to decide on PS3, as almost all the exclusives on Xbox comes onto PC as both are powered by MS.

Checkout the exclusive games (youtube videos and reviews) on each of the consoles and i am sure you will end up buying a PS3 for the varied and quality titles on it :)

I personally think that if motion is a must then just get a damn Wii U and play Wii games on it (you will have to buy a Wiimote and Nunchuck separately though).

Otherwise, either a PS3 or Wii U right now or PS4 or Wii U a few months later.

you arent a gaming fanatic, why worry about backward compatibility. It would be totally reasonable if u had a 100+ original ps2 game collection.

1) I've no idea. I hate motion gaming so I never tried it on either platform. I did like some of the Wii (and U) games that involved motion though.
2) Yes. PS3 has Blu-ray funtionality while Xbox only DVD.
3) Decide on the platform before deciding on the games ;)
4) PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 Games only. Previously PS2 support was there but with the redesigns and hardware revisions they removed that functionality to make the console cheaper.

I hope this helps.

Thanks soooo much for your valuable feedback . Finally, I am getting Playstation 3 (dropped plan for Xbox 360.).

Thanks again.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Get,If you can, a Pre-owned Ps3 Slim not the new Super Slim models.

No issues with super slim models. They are as good as their predecessor.
It just has a top loading disc bay rather than slot loading.

If somebody is interested in buying a new Ps3, why force em to go for the pre-owned route?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
No issues with super slim models. They are as good as their predecessor.
It just has a top loading disc bay rather than slot loading.

If somebody is interested in buying a new Ps3, why force em to go for the pre-owned route?

This.. I was wondering the same.. I bought the new model myself and i do not see any issues on it or rather any differencein performance when compared to older models

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
This.. I was wondering the same.. I bought the new model myself and i do not see any issues on it or rather any differencein performance when compared to older models

It isn't as much about the performance as it is about the quality of the build. Also, the disc vibrations are a lot more audible on the super slim model vs. the previous ones.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
It isn't as much about the performance as it is about the quality of the build. Also, the disc vibrations are a lot more audible on the super slim model vs. the previous ones.

Yeah that a valid point. But is it a strong reason to completely avoid the new model and start hunting for older and used slim versions?

I don't think its a strong enough reason to deter a buyer. Sony should have stuck with a slot loading bay here though.

Besides, the buyer also gets the option to get full 500gb ( actual space may be less ) with the new model or save money with 12gb one and later upgrade to a bigger hdd.
The 12gb's only flaw is that it comes without a hdd cage and that has to be bought separately in order to house a hdd.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
*Some* Ps3 500gb's ship with some faulty Hitachi HDD which causes framerate drops in games or something
I read this in the Official EU PS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.