Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

doomgiver

Warframe
^ the stars like dust is awesome too!!!
caves of steel is kinda confusing at first, i had to read it twice to get it.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Murder is easy by Agatha Christie

*www.agathachristie.com/cms-media/uploaded-images/thumbs/murder_is_easy_jpg_235x600_q95.jpg

From Amazon
MURDER IS EASYIt was just Luke Fitzwilliam's luck to be stuck next to a dotty old woman like Miss Fullerton on the London-bound train-although he found himself quite entertained with her tall tales about a series of perfect murders in the quaint village of Wychwood. But when he reads the next day of the freak accident that killed her, too, Fitzwilliam's amusement turns to grave concern. A visit to the isolated village confirms his worst fears.

The story started in a slow note. Things happened but in a more realistic way i.e. slowly.

Now, my mentioning of "slow" word twice might have invoked "might be a bore" thought in you, but mind it, its Agatha Christie. And you won't be bored. A nice read. Try it out.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
You got to read this one from Pramod Batra & Vijay Batra...

Brainstorming For Creativity And Innovation

The Greatness Guide by Robin Sharma proved another awesome read.

Just ordered The Greatness Guide 2 from Flipkart.

Krow

Crowman
Finished a truckload of Asmiov novels. I like this author, he is a must-read for sci-fi/mystery/thriller/detective fans.

The Robot series:
The Complete Robot
The Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
Robots and Empire

Galactic Empire novels:
Pebble in the Sky
The Stars, Like Dust
The Currents of Space

Original Foundation trilogy:
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation

and The End of Eternity

doomgiver

Warframe
cant seem to finish foundation :( im getting confused by all that timeline jumps.
im going to start reading it again, in proper sequence, and this time, nothing will distract me.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
As Asimov's novels progress they get worse in quality. Be it an anthology (Foundation series) or just one book. He could never sustain the beginning.

Krow

Crowman
Actually, The End of Eternity is my favourite Asimov novel. One needs to read all Robot, Galactic Empire and Foundation novels I mentioned before reading it to understand it in full. It is a standalone novel, but it is like an alternative Universe to all the other novels in the series. But fantastic writing.

I procured Azazel too. Will read it in the coming months.

Reading Watchmen now. My my, what a marvelous graphic novel. I suggest reading it before watching the movie. Really. I just wish I did not know the story before I began reading the novel.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Finished reading 'The Immortals of Meluha' by 'Amish'. this is the first book in Shiva trilogy. Very good read. Gets a bit slow in the middle but overall a very good read.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Reading 'The internet is a playground' by David Thorne. Insanely funny, ridiculous, hilarious. Highly recommended would be an understatement.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
more details about the shiva triology plox, i tried some indian alt fantasy liek buddha and and the book where robotic intergalactic ganesha fights root of all evil (forgot name very sorry) but didnt really like them because they didnt handle the myths part well
@kunal, which version, the gopalachari version? that one skims over a few important plot elements
"being digital" by nicholas negroponte great book that will give you the ultimate perspective on technology, does not shy away from talking about hard stuff like why landline telephone networks are much better than television networks, all the basics about digital living is covered in this one, and hes the guy who started both MIT and Wired so... must read

cooldude22

Broken In
Get hold of Lee Child's Jack reacher Thrillers...little slow at the beginning but massive twists in the plots. Also John J Nance's The Orbit is funny.:grin:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
I recently finished:

The City & The City by China Mieville .. Highly recommended, very surreal, won Locus Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award, World Fantasy Award, BSFA Award, Hugo Award, nominated for Nebula Award, John W. Campbell Award

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi's -- a real mind twister!, biopunk science fiction, Nebula Award, Hugo Award , Compton Crook Award, Locus Award.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson .. Warning: very looong & complicated but rewarding as a whole. speculative fiction, includes the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and the philosophical debate between Platonic realism and formalism. Locus winner, hugo nominated

Wake by Robert J Sawyer -- really good. Hugo nominated. it is about spontaneous emergence of consciousness in the infrastructure of the World Wide Web

As u can tell I am a SF guy :)

Just started reading on my Kindle "Halting State by Charles Stross", one of my fav writers. I was saving this one so that I could read it back to back when the next book of the series is released. It has and is on the top seller lists as expected, namely, "Rule 34". Oh and check this chapter title out: 'Grand Theft Automatic'! :D how cool is that :)

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Must check out rollercoaster's list.

Finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Great SF novel. Fast-paced, adventurous.
Reading Ender's Shadow by the same author. The story is the same as Ender's Game but from a different character's point of view. :)

Rollercoaster

^ thanks

I have read the whole Ender series! It is great but gets less great with each subsequent book. still very entertaining.

check out this super cool cover: you can really appreciate it after you have read the books

*4.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/S8OamKIW65I/AAAAAAAANhg/zA1r19DThk0/s1600/EndersGame_SamWeber.jpg

Rollercoaster

@rollercoaster: Amazing cover. :D Which edition?

Not sure which edition.. might just be fan art

I recently finished:

The City & The City by China Mieville .. Highly recommended, very surreal, won Locus Award, Arthur C. Clarke Award, World Fantasy Award, BSFA Award, Hugo Award, nominated for Nebula Award, John W. Campbell Award

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi's -- a real mind twister!, biopunk science fiction, Nebula Award, Hugo Award , Compton Crook Award, Locus Award.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson .. Warning: very looong & complicated but rewarding as a whole. speculative fiction, includes the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and the philosophical debate between Platonic realism and formalism. Locus winner, hugo nominated

Wake by Robert J Sawyer -- really good. Hugo nominated. it is about spontaneous emergence of consciousness in the infrastructure of the World Wide Web

As u can tell I am a SF guy :)

Just started reading on my Kindle "Halting State by Charles Stross", one of my fav writers. I was saving this one so that I could read it back to back when the next book of the series is released. It has and is on the top seller lists as expected, namely, "Rule 34". Oh and check this chapter title out: 'Grand Theft Automatic'! :D how cool is that :)

More SF books:

The Old Man's War Series by John Scalzi - every novel is in this series is a gem! - All the books were on the Hugo Awards nominations - about colonizing other works and space wars

Saturn's Children by Charles Stross - its a space opera -- a mind twister and wierd! Android love and stuff..

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis - time travel without unnecessary technobable! and lots of history - its a comedy SciFi !

Red mars by Kim Stanley Robinson - Extremely long books! - very scientifically correct and detailed. it is like actually visiting Mars for real

Neuromancer - William Gibson - not for the light minded - this book created the cyberpunk genre - winner of Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award

I really hope you guys read these books

made a blog post of out this list : *rollercoastervj.blogspot.com/2011/07/some-great-science-fiction-novels-i.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom