Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@faun, hope this help you to decide,
Best Horror Novels (641 books)

The Top 20 Greatest Horror Writers of All-time - Mania.com

and, more on the book u chose,
At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror by H.P. Lovecraft - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

And, the strange this is that, if u click on "read book" on my previous link you would get to read the whole book!!!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Lovecraft is not horror as much as atmosphere, some people are easily turned off by it, find it very dated like watching old black and white movie, some stories have really good ideas though

read Rosemary's Baby, very cinematic horror novel, and scary as hell

number 14 on that list, seems to have sci fi and fantasy titles in equal measure with horror lol, almost nothing else on the list is scary, scrolled till I had enough non scary titless no 59 is picture of dorian gray wow

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Anne Rice.
Any recommendation ?

@faun, hope this help you to decide,
Best Horror Novels (641 books)

The Top 20 Greatest Horror Writers of All-time - Mania.com

and, more on the book u chose,
At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror by H.P. Lovecraft - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

And, the strange this is that, if u click on "read book" on my previous link you would get to read the whole book!!!
I got the ebook from ManyBooks.net - Ad-free eBooks for your iPad, Kindle, or eBook reader

The story is reminiscent of John carpenter's Thing.

Lovecraft is not horror as much as atmosphere, some people are easily turned off by it, find it very dated like watching old black and white movie, some stories have really good ideas though

read Rosemary's Baby, very cinematic horror novel, and scary as hell

number 14 on that list, seems to have sci fi and fantasy titles in equal measure with horror lol, almost nothing else on the list is scary, scrolled till I had enough non scary titless no 59 is picture of dorian gray wow

Looking for it.

Thanks guys.

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for posting the list rhitwick. I found that website's sci-fi list pretty good. Top 15 Greatest Science Fiction Writers of All-Time - Mania.com

In the recent past, I read Orson Scott Card's Speaker for the dead. Ender's game was amazing and totally different. Speaker is equally amazing, for those who like philosophy-oriented sci fi. Loved it.

Finished Asimov's Foundation saga (from Robot short stories to Foundation and Earth). Great series, except that by the end of the series I think Asimov lost his nut. Foundation's Edge (second last) was interesting, but not great. Foundation and Earth was below average. Glad I bought them second hand.

For those wondering, Asimov's last two books are much better than Clarke's second Rama book.

Can anyone recommend good Arthur C. Clarke novels? I've read Space Odyssey 3 and 4, saw the other two movies, Rendezvous with Rama, Rama II. How are Childhood's end and Fountains of paradise?

Made this list for now. Need more of Larry Niven.

William Gibson: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive
Isaac Asimov: The Gods Themselves, Nightfall
Arthur C. Clarke: The Fountains of Paradise, Childhood's End
Robert A. Heinlein: Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Ray Bradbury: The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Meteor, The Fog Horn, A Sound of Thunder, The Illustrated Man
Philip K. Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, We can Remember it for you Wholesale, Second Variety, The Golden Man, Minority Report, Paycheck, A Scanner Darkly, The Man in the High Castle
E. E. “Doc” Smith: Lensman, Galactic Patrol, Skylark
Jack Williamson: The Ultimate Earth, Legion of Space series, Undersea and Starchild Trilogy
Frank Herbert: The Jesus Incident, Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune
Larry Niven: The Mote in God’s Eye, Ringworld

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^hey yeah good list found some new authors to check out Robert A. Heinlein and E. E. “Doc” Smith, gonna check out rest of the site now..

hmmm good Clarke Books r

City and the Stars
A Fall of Moondust
Cradle
The Fountains of Paradise - this one is very Indian Fantasy

have you read Azazel by Asimov yet?

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for the recommendation anorion. :)

I have Azazel with me so will read it soon.

Anyone have any of the books I listed? Wanna do some lending?

reddead

LoSt!
ok..guys i need something new to read,
finished "the alchemist" a week ago and i was totally disappointed, it was full of his philosophy....
anyways i have read sidney sheldon, dan brown, stieg larsson....
and need to read something which is pure fiction and no philosophy...

recommendations??
BTW i saw P.G Wodehouse books in my library, how are those? anyone read them?
also looking forward to A Song of Ice and Fire....

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^try Michael Crichton lots of "pure fiction", tons of philosophy too, but thats not the main part and it doesnt come in the way of the pacing

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
ok..guys i need something new to read,
finished "the alchemist" a week ago and i was totally disappointed, it was full of his philosophy....
anyways i have read sidney sheldon, dan brown, stieg larsson....
and need to read something which is pure fiction and no philosophy...

recommendations??
BTW i saw P.G Wodehouse books in my library, how are those? anyone read them?
also looking forward to A Song of Ice and Fire....

Fountainhead

;)

Krow

Crowman
Wodehouse is good humour from what people have told me.

Pure fiction? If you want to try science fiction, try Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Other stuff? Alistair MacLean or Jeffrey Archer books maybe?

pratzgh1

Broken In
Guys,

Hi. I'm new to the forums and wish to be guided with the name of books that i can read in the leisure time that i get while traveling to and from work (well, that almost 2-2.5 hours either way :neutral:)

Also, i have recently started reading and as i wanted to, my parents asked me to read something lying at home (they are true non-fiction lovers), so i got hold of "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus", read it, and dint quite relate to it. (yes, although i did get a few tips on understanding my GF, results - well....:wink:)

Anyways, so that made me realise i dont quite like non-fiction. Also somehow i relate more to the Indian Author than the foriegn one's.

So, i randomly searched and have read "trust Me- Rajashree" and "Those small lil things - Rahul Saini(correct me if i'm wrong, i'm very bad at name recall)". And i really loved the writing and the way it was spoken through words.

So guys could you please suggest some books within the same genre and feel, preferably Indian Authors (i relate to them nice and easy).

I would love a few choices so that i can choose what suits me best.

(Boy, i wrote so much - I could end up writing a book myself - Yeah but it would be not bigger than 'who moved my cheese' :)) )

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@abhidev pick up a collection of short stories you like those are great to read on transit, and give stories by diff authors

theres also the Gameworld trilogy by Samit Basu
don want whole trilogy then Turbulence, same author

Krow

Crowman
Just checked, Flipkart has jacked up the prices of Foundation and Foundation & Earth. Both were around Rs 170 when I bought. Now both are near Rs 250.

On the other hand the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is for Rs 385 only. :)

Top Bottom