Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I started with Midnight's Children, will resume someday. Any reviews from members here ?

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
^^
I've tried to read Midnight's Children many times and failed each time. Mr. Rushdie brilliant play of words and excessive verbosity are to blame. Could try again this time. Currently reading 1984 by George Orwell.

Rahim

Married!
I have seen a sudden rise in books by Indian writers who somehow believe that they are proper writers. Book shops are full of very average writings of these so called good authors.

*img2.fkcdn.com/img/732/9788172239732.jpg

Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten The World Economy
by Raghuram Rajan
ISBN: 8172239734

Book Summary

The financial collapse of 2007 and the ‘Great Recession’ that followed left many economists on the defensive. News programs,
magazines, pundits, and even the Queen of England asked, with some variation, the same question: Why didn’t you see it coming?
While there are broad similarities in the things that go wrong in every financial crisis, this was a crisis centred on what many would
agree is the most sophisticated financial system in the world. What happened to the usual regulatory checks and balances?What happened to the discipline imposed by markets? What happened to the private instinct for self-preservation? Is the free
enterprise system fundamentally flawed? These are not questions
that would arise if this were ‘just another’ emerging market crisis. And given the cost of this crisis, we cannot afford facile or wrong
answers. Fault Lines is a perceptive, detailed look at where the answers to the questions that were raised during the recession
may lie.
--------------------------------------------

Even though the style of writing is precise, short and structured and yet highlights the causes and suggest pre-cautions for avoiding future turmoil, without ranting or being too much of narcist approach.
----------------------------
I have been reading some books on Spirituality and would post here when i read and absorb the subject.

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Any suggestion for good humor? I am currently reading Dave Barry and loving his work. I fear after 2-3 books, I might find him monotonous. As of now loving his style of writing. Intelligent humor.

Rahim

Married!
*img2.fkcdn.com/img/591/9780141034591.jpg

Black Swan: The Impact Of The Highly Improbable
by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Startling, profound and universal, The Black Swan will change the way you look at the world. For Nassim Nicholas Taleb, bestselling author of Fooled by Randomness, Black Swans underlie almost everything, from the rise of religions, to events in our own personal lives. A Black Swan is a highly improbable event with three principle characteristics: its unpredictability; its massive impact; and, after it has happened, our desire to make it appear less random and more predictable than it was. The astonishing success of Google was a black swan; so was 9/11. Why do we not acknowledge the phenomenon of Black Swans? Why are we unable to estimate risk: falling vulnerable to the impulse to simplify, narrate and categorize, rather than opening ourselves up to the ‘impossible’? For years, Taleb has studied how we fool ourselves into thinking we know more than we actually do, restricting our knowledge to the irrelevant and inconsequential, so that large events continue to surprise us an shape our world. We may even be hard-wired to learn specifics when we should be focused on generalities. Now in this revelatory book, he explains everything we know about what we don’t know. Taleb is a vastly entertaining writer, with wit, irreverence, and unusual stories to tell. He has a polymathic command of subjects ranging from cognitive science to business to probability theory. The Black Swan is a landmark book-it might even be a Black Swan.

--------------------------------------------------------------

*img0.fkcdn.com/img/674/9789380658674.jpg

Chanakya's Chant
by Ashwin Sanghi

The year is 340 BC. A hunted, haunted Brahmin youth vows revenge for the gruesome murder of his beloved father.

Cold, calculating, cruel and armed with a complete ab- sence of accepted morals, he becomes the most power- ful political strategist in Bharat and succeeds in uniting a ragged country against the invasion of the army of that demigod, Alexander the Great.

Pitting the weak edges of both forces against each other, he pulls off a wicked and astonishing victory and suc- ceeds in installing Chandragupta on the throne of the mighty Mauryan empire.

History knows him as the brilliant strategist Chanakya.
Satisfied—and a little bored—by his success as a kingmaker, through the simple summoning of his gifted mind, he recedes into the shadows to write his Artha- shastra, the ’science of wealth′.

But history, which exults in repeating itself, revives Chanakya two and a half millennia later, in the avatar of Gangasagar Mishra, a Brahmin teacher in smalltown India who becomes puppeteer to a host of ambitious individuals—including a certain slumchild who grows up into a beautiful and powerful woman.

Modern India happens to be just as riven as ancient Bharat by class hatred, corruption and divisive politics and this landscape is Gangasagar′s feasting ground. Can this wily pandit—who preys on greed, venality and sexual deviance—bring about another miracle of a united India?

Will Chanakya's chant work again?
Ashwin Sanghi, the bestselling author of The Rozabal Line, brings you yet another historical spinechiller.

Magmaw

Right off the assembly line
I am looking forward to Peter Guber's "Tell to Win"

A little background:

Peter Guber, Chairman and CEO of Mandalay Entertainment Group, has been a force in the entertainment industry for over thirty years. He has told memorable stories in the films he personally produced or executive produced, including Rain Man, Batman, The Color Purple, Gorillas In The Mist, and Flashdance which have resonated with audiences all over the world. . With six minor league baseball franchises, as the owner and co-executive of the Golden State Warriors, and three billion dollars in profit during his tenure at the helm of leading companies such as Columbia, Sony Pictures, Casablanca and Mandalay Entertainment, Peter Guber is one Hollywood’s most successful sports franchise owners and entertainment executives.

Peter is also a weekly entertainment and media analyst for Fox Business News and a principal at GeekChicDaily.com.

In Peter’s new book “Tell to Win,” he provides individuals with an invaluable skill set -- the power to tell emotionally resonant stories to persuade, motivate, excite and incite others. To validate the power of telling purposeful stories, Peter Guber includes a remarkably diverse number of "voices" -- master tellers with whom he's shared experiences who reveal how they've told to win including NASA’s Chief Technology Officer Chris Kemp, Chris Anderson (Editor-in-Chief of Wired Magazine), Chad Hurley (CEO of YouTube), noted social media marketing executive Brian Solis, Director Steven Spielberg and more.

“In Tell to Win, Peter Guber demonstrates that telling purposeful stories is the best way to persuade, motivate and convince who you want to do what you need” – President Bill Clinton

I work for the marketing team handling this project and the book looks great.

Visit Peter Guber's 'Tell to Win' to pre-order your copy now.

V

VioletGun

This is directed to Sumit, or anyone else that can help me out:
I have heard mixed reviews about the Alchemist. Those that like it, LOVE it. However, then there are that that do not reccommend the book at all, strongly disliking it. Can you tell me why you enjoyed it so much as to include it on your top 5 list of books to read? What made it unique and interesting? I am debating picking it up and reading it, but I hate when I spend time on a book and it ends up being a disappointment - especially when it is particularly hyped up. Thanks in advance!

Rahim

Married!
*img1.wantitall.co.za/images/ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Breaking-the-Sound-Barrier%7C51r5T-915mL.jpg

Breaking the Sound Barrier
Amy Goodman

For those who don't take rubbish branded as "news" from for-profit corporate media.

Magmaw

Right off the assembly line
Here's a neat video from the "Tell to Win" website, chronicling a interview with Youtube founder Chad Hurley, who also has a contributing viewpoint in the book:

[YOUTUBE]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXDxXWssxjI[/YOUTUBE]

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXDxXWssxjI

bijay_ps

Broken In
Hey anyone read 'The Lost Symbol'
by Dan Brown........
if not then you people are missing a very interesting noble.
Its really a good one

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Any one read philip reeve.
I liked his work and the way he created a post apocalyptic world in mortal engines. Although it is much like a normal story but way of telling was quite good.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Unfinished Portrait by Mary Westmacott (Agatha Christie)

*www.agathachristie.com/cms-media/uploaded-images/thumbs/Unfinished_Portrait_HC_PB_jpg_235x600_q95.jpg

In your lifetime you read books, then one day you read a book which overwhelms so much that you wonder why none around you is reading this book! This is the kind of book. I want you all to read it; if it was possible I would read to whoever wanted to know about it.

Plot: From Amazon
Bereft of the three people she has held most dear - her mother, her husband and her daughter - Celia is on the verge of suicide. Then one night on an exotic island she meets Larraby, a successful portrait painter, and through a long night of talk reveals how she is afraid to commit herself to a second chance of happiness with another person, yet is not brave enough to face life alone. Can Larraby help Celia come to terms with the past or will they part, her outcome still uncertain?

I'm deeply moved by this book. The starts from a suicidal woman who convinces the rescuer that she should better die. Then she tells her whole life story. The story starts from her childhood and continues. But the whole tell is told with an undercurrent of sadness. I can't make you understand what I mean by undercurrent of sadness. Simple words of happiness are used, phrases which should be soothing rather makes you uneasy.

Getting to know a girl from her childhood (that too a character who is imaginative and unique on her own way) to her old age is something which can Agatha Christie can only do. Kudos m'am. Thou rock!!!

@vi

Journeyman
Oh !!! how did I miss this thread !

*bookmarks it*

currently reading - Can you keep a secret

All bookworms, have a look at this thread

Top Bottom