All laptop related queries here!!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Check the threshold temp in power settings, and keep a track on temps via softwares like HWmonitor, and report them here.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
run CPUID HWMonitor, run games at heavy setting for 10min. post a screenshot of the HWMonitor here. 3rd gen i7 have real heating problem.

also ice cool tech lowers temp of the palmrest. not the whole laptop. Also its not any tech. just placing parts that generate more heat are kept near the screen area lowers temp.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^This is due to TIM issue of IB I guess Sam ? (read it somewhere)

mayn't be. cause from what i have read if temperature shoots into hot zone, first processor will be downclocked all the way to 800Mhz till the laptop enter safe temp zone and then go back to base clock, not abruptly shut down.

also TIM issue is about desktop IVB. you can pry open the heatspreader and inside there got TIM. low quality TIM.
*assets.vr-zone.net/15680/ivy_die.jpg
whereas the laptop processors doesn't have any heatspreaders. Maybe the processor is a bad one as even if heating, a brand new laptop shouldn't shut down. At least i have never heard a brand new laptop shut down cause of heat :-?

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
It happened on the day i got it..playing Mirror's Edge and 20 minutes into the game, shut down..and today while playing Rage and BF3 respectively..It was for my cousin and he has it right now..I will check the temps and post here..I wish the laptop's allright as I persuaded my cousin to go for Asus instead of HP..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
BTW are you sure laptop processors don't have heat spreaders ? :?

yup. definitely sure. heatpipe base is used as heatspreader.
*2.bp.blogspot.com/--Y5jRqDP86w/T4PrV3rRv6I/AAAAAAAAIgY/WTh2KHG_-dc/s1600/1-AMD-Trinity-Field-Test-Shows-FPU-Performance-Superior-to-Bulldozer.jpg
the desktop proccy have heatspreader, laptop (normal & ULV) doesn't have.
*www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/7649e0ad88.jpg
custom heatspreader is used. its not fixed but bolted down
It happened on the day i got it..playing Mirror's Edge and 20 minutes into the game, shut down..and today while playing Rage and BF3 respectively..It was for my cousin and he has it right now..I will check the temps and post here..I wish the laptop's allright as I persuaded my cousin to go for Asus instead of HP..

then its a laptop problem. not with the processors itself. faulty electronics. maybe the processor is not downclocked and keeps heating up but first post a screenshot.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
manual should carry another line at size 50 font "this laptop is not meant for gaming". seriously. take it to the shop and run a game. or just stress it using Futuremark or SuperPI. It'll shut down in a few minutes. though you can't claim for DOA where the whole laptop will be changed on spot. Even then you should get a new laptop of same model.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
I'll be damned..

At default clocks(No apps running)
*img20.imageshack.us/img20/5851/dafaq.jpg

Battlefield 3( 5 minutes into game)
*img18.imageshack.us/img18/8879/lmaoxn.jpg

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
max safe value is 108. 90 looks high but if it stays constantly around 90-95 then its fine. surely it crossed 100 in 10-15min. faulty cooling and 45W processor to blame here.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
take it to the shop and ask them to replace it straightforward. don't go to service center. else you'll waste a month in fixing the problem.

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
The shopkeeper said at the time of buying.."If you buy HP, we will do all we can to get your product fixed BUT if you choose ASUS you will have to contact service center on your own"

Anyway I'll be going there tomorrow..and see what can be done..

ankurgel

He loves himself.
How compatible New Dell Inspiron series (new, IvyBridge one) is with linux. May sound slightly absurd question, but since the processor is new, I'm not quite sure if it's completely apt for linux (minus obnoxious heat etc) or not.
Also,
One of my friend (not linux user) will buy laptop soon, possibly within few days itself. This new series is recommendable, right?

Top Bottom