Aaj Tak reporter faces eve-teasing while reporting on Delhi gangrape case

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Well, a corrupt visual/aural onslaught coupled with an environment (upbringing, provincial mindset, solely materialistic education, lousy laws & law-bearers, lack of moderation in our life, etc.) that fosters the desire to exercise 'power' & 'control' is probably behind such hell-shaming acts!

Both of you are a little misinformed. You can legally buy ARMS in India for Self-Defence.

Which got a lot more difficult to acquire recently!

Just saw an hour or so ago that another reporter from Headlines Today became a victim of eve-teasing which was caught on the camera! (and a comment on the youtube link of the above video posted in the OP reads that the guy in the video is the comment-author's neighbour & he was thrashed by people all day & was cast out from his home!)

But strangely, i switched to Aaj Tak a few times but there seems to be no follow-up on this case. or have i missed something?! would like to know.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Both of you are a little misinformed. You can legally buy ARMS in India for Self-Defence.

I hear that you don't get them easily. Plus, minimum age for gun license is 21 years, so those younger cannot get one. So, pepperspray and tasers are cheaper and easier to obtain IMHO.

I do think that if all women had guns, this problem would have been long resolved. Thought it might bring up new problems, but that is another story.

According to this article : Indians For Guns • View topic - Applying for an Arms License in India

In Delhi the Police have a tendency of denying licenses if your stated need is "protection of person or property and private security", unless you can "show cause" in terms of a justifiable and real threat to life or property. Their logic is that Delhi is a well policed city and you don't really need a gun for self-defence. You will also be (almost certainly) asked to produce income proof documents in such cases

What can I say?

Last edited:

Tech&ME

Banned
I hear that you don't get them easily. Plus, minimum age for gun license is 21 years, so those younger cannot get one. So, pepperspray and tasers are cheaper and easier to obtain IMHO.

I do think that if all women had guns, this problem would have been long resolved. Thought it might bring up new problems, but that is another story.

According to this article : Indians For Guns • View topic - Applying for an Arms License in India

What can I say?

I agree that procuring a ARMS license in India this days is not easy and is very difficult.

Although I poses a Revolver ( made in england ) which was licensed to my father in the 80's . The reason was never for Self - defense but for Target practicing.

The Gun /Arms are required to be deposited with your local police during emergencies and wars. So, during the kargil was, the revolver was at the police station and not with me.

While renewal and purchase of ammunition, permission from local magistrate is a must in writing. You will have to carry the gun/revolver to the Court for this purpose.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
you can buy pepper sprays in cities like mumbai....tasers-well haven't seen them anywhere in mumbai..but pepper spray should do it for self defence..gun licence is a pain in the back to get...you have to prove here that you have a threat on your life & then maybe the police would give the go ahead..might as well save all the headache & pickup a pepper spray..
There seems to be another problem with this self defence. I remember a case in mumbai where a girl was being harassed & the friend of hers shot that man...he got in a lot of trouble & had a hard time explaining that it was for self defence...so proving it in court that it was an act in self defence is a pain...don't know what happened thereafter in the case..will try to look around the net...

Tech&ME

Banned
There seems to be another problem with this self defence. I remember a case in mumbai where a girl was being harassed & the friend of hers shot that man...he got in a lot of trouble & had a hard time explaining that it was for self defence...so proving it in court that it was an act in self defence is a pain

That's a good point raised by you.

Even it becomes difficult for a Police Officer himself to prove in a court of law that he fired at the criminal in Self - defense. ( that is, the criminal fired at him first )

So, for a normal citizen it is too much difficult to proof unless you have trust worthy eye witnesses to prove your self defense case in Indian Court trial.

This brings to one very important factor as well. Misuse of Revolver [ like in the recent case of American School shoot out ].

The best GIRLs and BOYs should carry is pepper sprays.

And

Very Important to see around you before you take a ride on the public bus. The girl who was raped, was actually not traveling in a normal Public Bus. It was a school bus taking a random run on the street, which apparently picked up the unfortunate girl who had to go through all the act of pain and suffering.

So, its my humble appeal to all GIRLs and BOYs to look around first, confirm the correct bus / auto / taxi before you board into one.

- Always note the Auto Number / Driver's Name in your mobile or elsewhere during the journey.

- Always note the Taxi Number / Driver's Name in your mobile or elsewhere during the journey.

- Always confirm the Route No. of the BUS / its colors / make and model / even the license plate before you board into one.

- Always take a public bus for its designated Bus Stop / Bus Stand / Bus Station.

- Do not board an EMPTY bus / with few male passengers.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
^ Too much things to do for some A-holes. Nowadays along with education one should learn how to defend these garbages.

Tech&ME

Banned
^^
the problem is we ( citizens of India ) are not able to clean this dirty garbages from our lives. But the least we can do is protect ourselves on the streets / malls / etc with some precautions.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That's a good point raised by you.

Even it becomes difficult for a Police Officer himself to prove in a court of law that he fired at the criminal in Self - defense. ( that is, the criminal fired at him first )

So, for a normal citizen it is too much difficult to proof unless you have trust worthy eye witnesses to prove your self defense case in Indian Court trial.

This brings to one very important factor as well. Misuse of Revolver [ like in the recent case of American School shoot out ].

The best GIRLs and BOYs should carry is pepper sprays.

And

Very Important to see around you before you take a ride on the public bus. The girl who was raped, was actually not traveling in a normal Public Bus. It was a school bus taking a random run on the street, which apparently picked up the unfortunate girl who had to go through all the act of pain and suffering.

So, its my humble appeal to all GIRLs and BOYs to look around first, confirm the correct bus / auto / taxi before you board into one.

- Always note the Auto Number / Driver's Name in your mobile or elsewhere during the journey.

- Always note the Taxi Number / Driver's Name in your mobile or elsewhere during the journey.

- Always confirm the Route No. of the BUS / its colors / make and model / even the license plate before you board into one.

- Always take a public bus for its designated Bus Stop / Bus Stand / Bus Station.

- Do not board an EMPTY bus / with few male passengers.

Now that you mention it, I just remembered something one of my Delhiite friends told me. There happen to be gay rapists around Noida. If this is true, then even the guys are not safe.

^ Too much things to do for some A-holes. Nowadays along with education one should learn how to defend these garbages.

Only viable option because trying to tame wild beasts is a gargantuan task. Rapists need to be castrated, at least surgically. Gotta love Islamic countries in such matters, rapists are sentenced to death.

Tech&ME

Banned
Well ! I mentioned BOYS because the boy who was with the girl was beaten badly and thrown out of the bus. Didn't mean gay rapist and all.

Boys are also not safe every time, if you are alone and carrying cash , and someone is following your activity , then boys can also end up is trouble of some other sorts... just saying. no offense to anyone please !

Flash

Lost in speed
None is safe.
In unsafe hands of the user (or victim should i say), even the taser/pepper sprays will be used against him/her by the criminals.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^psychological strength is as much important as physical strength.no amount of training is going to help you if you froze because of a psychological block(remember those police officers who just can not fire their weapons in real situations even after scoring high in training).i strongly believe that women especially Indian women are weak on this account & this issue must be fixed first before giving them training/tips about fighting.even without any training with good psychological strength any human being can fight purely on basis of instinct if motivated enough(e.g.though not appropriate i just read in local news about a middle aged household woman who bite off & swallowed the index finger of another woman in a war of words!!).

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
today in class i was sitting in my place which is surrounded by faltu A-hole duffer kids
guy 1 to guy 2:arre! tujhe pata hai? delhi ke ek bus mein ek ladki ko che logo nai c**d dala
guy 2 : kaash ki main bhi wahan hota. maja aata tha yaar
guy 1 : us ladki ko itne c**da ki woh aaj tak coma main hai.
these two pricks think the rapists should get some kind of bravery award or somethin
after this i changed my place

mohityadavx

Youngling
While it may be wrong to label people, it is a fact that North Indian cities - specially Delhi - are a lot less safer than South India. I have lived in Delhi and Hyderabad for many years - and the difference is instantly noticeable in the way both these cities treat women. (disclosure - I am a "North Indian"). Perhaps there are some sociological reasons for that, but it is a fact.

The protection of law and proper legal procedure should be the right of normal people - it should not be extended to perverts. Summary and exemplary punishment is NEEDED - the fear of law should be instilled till such time that people become really "educated" and realize that every human being has the same right to exist. Just see the above video - this happened right in front of a camera. Which law protects those perverts - what justification can they give for this act?
Well AP has more crime against women than any other state. Also south Indian states are no better when it comes toc rime against women.
I am not saying this in air Here are the facts from National Crime Record Bureau
*ncrb.nic.in/cii2010/cii-2010/Chapter%205.pdf

Just because mdeia hype some issue dont become judgmental check your facts
I am from Haryana and I have faced i too many times that Haryanavi people dont respect women they are killers blah blah
One word of advice people do get offended
Media never presents a true picture
So never be stereotypical I repeat never!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom