A Distro for Indian Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
MetalheadGautham
I checked out Dream Linux a few hours back. ITS BEAUTIFUL. It runs both xfce and gnome, and its based on debian lenny at the moment. I had been avoiding it for a while since lenny is going stable. But I am thinking of installing it now. Its AWSSOME. It looks so good by default, and Xfce on it is really very responsive and fast. It runs with dock and uses very little ram. Gnome also uses very little ram.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I checked out Dream Linux a few hours back. ITS BEAUTIFUL. It runs both xfce and gnome, and its based on debian lenny at the moment. I had been avoiding it for a while since lenny is going stable. But I am thinking of installing it now. Its AWSSOME. It looks so good by default, and Xfce on it is really very responsive and fast. It runs with dock and uses very little ram. Gnome also uses very little ram.
FYI, since Fedora 9; GNOME uses less memory... that's what I feel as I have used Fedora's 6, 7, 8, 9... and 9 is the best of all and fast too than others! (NOTE: its on a P3 500 Mhz 384 MB SD RAM [133 Mhz]). : ) :)

OP
MetalheadGautham
FYI, since Fedora 9; GNOME uses less memory... that's what I feel as I have used Fedora's 6, 7, 8, 9... and 9 is the best of all and fast too than others! (NOTE: its on a P3 500 Mhz 384 MB SD RAM [133 Mhz]). : ) :)
Yeah I checked that. Xfce uses 145mb and gnome 170mb with gnome-system-monitor. Not bad at all.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Yeah I checked that. Xfce uses 145mb and gnome 170mb with gnome-system-monitor. Not bad at all.
Just do it off with Fedora... remove the server and development packages (unwanted like make, gcc, etc.) for kids... and run wine... they would be happy to see many of their games running on wine 1.0! and of course Fedora is a rocking distro (Alpha 10 [Cambridge] released yesterday)

OP
MetalheadGautham
Just do it off with Fedora... remove the server and development packages (unwanted like make, gcc, etc.) for kids... and run wine... they would be happy to see many of their games running on wine 1.0! and of course Fedora is a rocking distro (Alpha 10 [Cambridge] released yesterday)
I am getting CentOS 5.2 :p

OP
MetalheadGautham
Cent OS is normally isn't used for User purposes... its basically optimised for server use.. :|
Exactly. Its an enterprise OS with good server capabilities. You know what that means ? It means the system is very STABLE. Thats the #1 thing you need for a server OS. It can hardly crash. And it does not have too much extra weight while running. I can configure it to make it as light as possible. And since it has huge gap between releases, I am not left searching for the next new version. All this along with the fact that Enterprise Linux is the most commonly used distro in large enterprises (duh) makes this the perfect starting point for creating a good distro for STUDENTS. Fedora is more geared towards the power user, the home user and the workstation user.

T

tallbeing

Geany is a gr8 IDE.

BTW, I'm 17 and don't think that age group (11-18 ) are so dumb.
I agree with you. Even I' am 13 and I have tasted several distros of Linux, able to design a Website entirely in notepad, know a command or two of DOS and assembled a Fedora P.C. for my friend from some old hardware lying around in both of our house.

OP
MetalheadGautham
^Oh , On a live cd? Ok.
Hey it was still awssome. The live CD was about as responsive, if not faster, as the Ubuntu Gnome which I had previously installed ON the harddisc.

But the install freezes when I reach the part where I need to install grub. I was going to try to install it first in the root partition, then use a live CD to manually install grub. But then, that was supposed to be today and I am not feeling well.
I agree with you. Even I' am 13 and I have tasted several distros of Linux, able to design a Website entirely in notepad, know a command or two of DOS and assembled a Fedora P.C. for my friend from some old hardware lying around in both of our house.
DOS ? In Linux ? :confused:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^What distro again? Btw , did you by chance choose Xfs as filesystem?
Coz Grub and Xfs dont go together.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Servers don't have users?
Servers do have users... I meant other distros like ubuntu or fedora are much better if you are going to use the desktop for general-purposes in the sense NON-SERVER use.

Exactly. Its an enterprise OS with good server capabilities. You know what that means ? It means the system is very STABLE. Thats the #1 thing you need for a server OS. It can hardly crash. And it does not have too much extra weight while running. I can configure it to make it as light as possible. And since it has huge gap between releases, I am not left searching for the next new version. All this along with the fact that Enterprise Linux is the most commonly used distro in large enterprises (duh) makes this the perfect starting point for creating a good distro for STUDENTS. Fedora is more geared towards the power user, the home user and the workstation user.
Our main interest is in the GUI coz ppl new to Linux will generally look for a pleasant GUI instead of a Command Prompt which says [user@localhost~]$ :p : P

PS: I don't mean that you can't install a GUI in Cent OS

Last edited:
OP
MetalheadGautham
installed centos desktop gnome and desktop kde.
not impressed.
red hat file organisation sucks.
gnome 2.16 sucks.
kde 3.5 rocks.
commandline as root is horrible.
needs some serious upgrades.

OP
MetalheadGautham
I mean that I know a bit of DOS commands, not much just to establish that 11 to 18 yr old kids are not that dumb. It has nothing to do with linux. I am sorry for your misconception
Oh... alright then.
But I must add, you seem rather too smart for a 13 year old :p

Status
Not open for further replies.