A Distro for Indian Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No one but you is to blame here, gautham. You just started too late in the day....err night. You hardly left any room for errors. One error and it was all finished anyways. You should have started atleast 2 days early. Your effort is good, appreciate that but please leave some time for contingencies. And I wonder how much of your failure is attributed to your +'s :p

No one but you is to blame here, gautham. You just started too late in the day....err night. You hardly left any room for errors. One error and it was all finished anyways. You should have started atleast 2 days early. Your effort is good, appreciate that but please leave some time for contingencies. And I wonder how much of your failure is attributed to your +'s :p
The problem is power cuts. XFS should NOT be used in an area full of power cuts.

Another problem was that this deadline was SUDDENLY announced and hence I had little time to work with. I had just finished my exams for the month and this guy comes and tells me submit it tomorrow.

As for those errors, they are un-avoidable. I could do NOTHING about them. Even when I upgraded in init3, I got these issues. I still don't understand why my 1GB upgrade of Sidux went smoothly under the same conditions, while the relatively more stable debian lenny in dream linux got pwned.

I had an opportunity to send my copy of arch, but then, I wanted something upto my own standards. A debian stable release looked PERFECT to me, but sadly it could never happen properly.

About those +'s, yeah, I had to keep using backspace often in the console.

It was only today I realised how benificial it is for a distro to have a robust and most importantly, an EASY TO USE set of commandline tools for any fixing. But debian NEEDS X to run most administrative tasks, thats +what my experience has taught.

Finally, I did't want to end up like Beojan, the creator of Beejex Linux which is a debian unstable based distro. He made the distro insanely easy to use in the first release, but he forgot to make a good installer. He used Damn Small Linux and a shell script to install the distro (actually a compressed hard disc image) and one had to manually chroot it to use it. I don't know what happened to his second release, but I think he was going to use linux-live-scripts this time.

:confused:
What debian is that?
Dream Linux.

I suppose it could just be that I don't know how to configure debian via commandline, but I must say, arch has one of the easiest commandlines I have ever used. Its all in its installer. Configuring there taught me EVERYTHING about configuring arch in commandline.

But going back to dream, it doesn't bundle popular commandline software like lynx, irssi, nano, by default. This is unjustified when it has crap like a dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.