Ↄ 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yea. Like yesterday, when Preshit took a pic from his iPhone, I was gonna ask him to send it to me via BT. But then I remembered, Oh! the iPhone doesnt support file sending and stopped in my tracks.
He quicly flickred it for that very reason, before someone asks, I shall flickr it so if they ask I can proudly say I have flickred it ;)

@GX: Nokia, SE, Moto etc. have all those features because they are cell phone companies, they have been in this field since years. As a matter of fact Nokia makes only phones so they know market dynamics. iPhone, well .... you know my thoughts on that.

Even Axle realized yesterday that the 6600 pwns the iPhone.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
lolz... flickr need either a computer with net or phone with GPRS. Not everyone has GPRS activated, also whose gonna wait to reach computer. Bluetooth is instant but it's so bad that iPhone doesn't provide this more used feature but provides less used Wi-Fi

^^ How is that related to the discussion ?
all these ramblings about iPhone being godly at just 8K would disappear if you find out the truth. :!:

Apparently, Belgium has laws to protect the intrests of consumers and avoid them being cheated. One such law forbids the lowering of price of a commodity by adding compulsary service contracts. So its a whopping over 800$ there. :shock:

Meaning, iPhone should be compared to phones in its REAL price band, rather than to other Sub 10K phones like the Moto ROKR E6. ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, you're not getting a device like the iPhone for cheap anytime soon. I've been saying that all along. I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal out of it. If it's not in your price range, don't buy it. But just shut the Hell up already!

Yeah, you're not getting a device like the iPhone for cheap anytime soon.
But several of these people seem to think otherwise.
I've been saying that all along.
What about those iPhone is cheaper and more VFM than all those 20K+ mobiles ramblings of yours ?
I'm not sure why you're making such a big deal out of it.
Am I ? I just pointed out a simple fact.
If it's not in your price range, don't buy it.
And why do I often see people labeling the apple iphone as the best sub 15k handset ?
But just shut the Hell up already!
Why ? Me pointing out something potentially anti-apple (though it never was) offends you ?

Pat

Beyond Smart
But several of these people seem to think otherwise.

I know there might be several such noobs, but most of the people on this forum always knew that iPhone is not going to be cheap at all.

And why do I often see people labeling the apple iphone as the best sub 15k handset ?

Where ? I am yet to see any sensible person do that!

Why ? Me pointing out something potentially anti-apple (though it never was) offends you ?

The point is you still cant compare different markets. For Apple, one dollar is normally equal to one euro. I say this because the previous iPhone was available for 399 Euros here while it was available for 399 dollars in the US. My point is that you just cannot assume that if a certain Market A sells iPhone at a certain price, the others will do the same.

If thats not the case according to you, I now ask you to research and find out how much a prepaid (without contract) iPhone 3G costs in Switzerland. Have fun :)

sourav123

Thinking Different
The point is you still cant compare different markets. For Apple, one dollar is normally equal to one euro. I say this because the previous iPhone was available for 399 Euros here while it was available for 399 dollars in the US. My point is that you just cannot assume that if a certain Market A sells iPhone at a certain price, the others will do the same.

If thats not the case according to you, I now ask you to research and find out how much a prepaid (without contract) iPhone 3G costs in Switzerland. Have fun :)

Too bad of Apple. They should actually equate one dollar to one rupee. Then even autowallahs will buy iPhone. ;)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Oh, I seriously doubt that. I've seen many people buy expensive Nokia phones that choke when you insert a 4GB memory card. I have a lot of first hand experience in that area.

As for upcoming phones, well, for all we know, the next iPhone may have 128GB of inbuilt memory. I'm not saying it will (I know it won't), but let's keep future products out of the discussion.

And in any case, how do you know it will work with a 32GB card without slowing down? All you've seen is the spec sheet (of a product yet to be released, no less). Plus, this phone you're talking about is going to be 18mm thick. I'd rather have a svelte 12mm phone that does not accept memory sticks than a brick that does. Even 12mm is a tad too thick, IMHO.

As for your list of phones that have 8GB of built-in memory, as you can yourself see, it's basically around five phones from a list of thousands. That was my point. The iPhone is already at the top of the list with 8GB and 16GB of in-built storage. The last thing that counts as a negative against it is its storage capacity.

The phones you are talking about are the older phones. No new Nokia phones chokes with a 4gb card. In fact you'll find a few people on this forum who are happily using 8gb cards in their Nokia phones.

The N96 I talked about may be upcoming, but by no means it is a concept or something. It is as real as it gets and is just a month away from its launch. You can find several videos of it on Youtube.

The 32 gb limit is not just for the N96. Any device which supports the HC (High Capacity) standards, like all new Nokia phones do, support upto 32gb. And that too without slowing down. If a company claims to support the HC standard, it has to make sure that it can support it without slowing down or anything, that is the hardware has to be capable enough. Otherwise it cannot support HC. As for thickness, the latest Nokia E71 is 10mm thick (thin?) but still accepts microSDHC cards. And there are other phones too which are just as thin as the iPhone or even thinner, yet support high capacity cards.

iPhone's storage space is not a negative. 8gb and 16gb are enough. But for some even that is insufficient. There is no such thing as sufficient storage space. It's always more the merrier. Ask yourself. You ordered your iMac with the optional 1 TB HDD, didn't you? Why? Because storage space always finds its uses and you soon run out of it, no matter how much it would be. :)

(Btw if I remember correctly , there is no such word as 'in-built'. It is 'built-in'. Even Oxford dictionary agrees with me.)

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I don't care much abt the price of iPhone....let it be 21k INR, but tell me at least 5 gud reasons dat I should buy iPhone.......when I ask everyone they says "its iPhone and its cool", dats all......they only know dat much, they dunno y they r buying it!!!......

wat do u meant by cool?? is it an advanced feature on iPhone??!!......I think its just the brand name dat people care abt......

As Aryayush has said, I won't be buying it b'coz I don't need it, and I don't blame people who buy it, b'coz they think its cool and its a life style.......so if anybody gives me an iPhone as gift, I will be pleased to show off in front of these people, but I'm not going to burn a hole in my pocket myself with dat 21k

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
(Btw if I remember correctly , there is no such word as 'in-built'. It is 'built-in'. Even Oxford dictionary agrees with me.)
lol...some people are loyal customers:D

inbuilt
adj : existing as an essential constituent or characteristic; "the
Ptolemaic system with its built-in concept of
periodicity"; "a constitutional inability to tell the
truth" [syn: built-in, constitutional, inherent,
integral]

As Aryayush has said, I won't be buying it b'coz I don't need it, and I don't blame people who buy it, b'coz they think its cool and its a life style.......so if anybody gives me an iPhone as gift, I will be pleased to show off in front of these people, but I'm not going to burn a hole in my pocket myself with dat 21k
ask the Santa to gift it, isn't it cool in Christmas :D

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The phones you are talking about are the older phones. No new Nokia phones chokes with a 4gb card. In fact you'll find a few people on this forum who are happily using 8gb cards in their Nokia phones.

The N96 I talked about may be upcoming, but by no means it is a concept or something. It is as real as it gets and is just a month away from its launch. You can find several videos of it on Youtube.

The 32 gb limit is not just for the N96. Any device which supports the HC (High Capacity) standards, like all new Nokia phones do, support upto 32gb. And that too without slowing down. If a company claims to support the HC standard, it has to make sure that it can support it without slowing down or anything, that is the hardware has to be capable enough. Otherwise it cannot support HC. As for thickness, the latest Nokia E71 is 10mm thick (thin?) but still accepts microSDHC cards. And there are other phones too which are just as thin as the iPhone or even thinner, yet support high capacity cards.

iPhone's storage space is not a negative. 8gb and 16gb are enough. But for some even that is insufficient. There is no such thing as sufficient storage space. It's always more the merrier. Ask yourself. You ordered your iMac with the optional 1 TB HDD, didn't you? Why? Because storage space always finds its uses and you soon run out of it, no matter how much it would be. :)
Yes, agreed with all of that, but that still doesn't justify labeling the iPhone's lack of adequate storage space as a point against it. As of right now, the iPhone is the most capacious cellphone on the market.

As for memory card expansion, frankly, I think it's another widespread concept that I would be glad to see the back of. I'm glad that my iPhone doesn't require me to purchase and install memory cards and already comes with a hefty amount of inbuilt storage. It's the same story all over again -- which compromises is the company willing to make. I'm totally behind Apple in the memory card department.

Also, it's a little redundant to lay blame on Apple for stuff like the lack of memory card slots. If you know anything about Apple, you know that their products do not have removable batteries or FM radios or memory cards slots or external antennae and they get quite hot while in use. These are standard "features" of Apple products. Sure, you can keep calling them out on it again and again but that's not gonna change anything.

No, it doesn't. I had meant to type "inbuilt" and that is indeed a word. :)

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@aryayush

can u justify crippled bluetooth with no file sharing??.....is Apple following the ways of old LG phones??

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
No, it doesn't. I had meant to type "inbuilt" and that is indeed a word. :)

I did actually check my Oxford dictionary before posting (which I do admit is a bit old). There is no such word as inbuilt in it. Only built-in. Maybe I need to upgrade my dictionary to the latest firmware. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom