Zenfone 2 or mi4i

sarthak96

Broken In
1. Budget - ~15k
2. Display type and size- >=5inches.
3. Dual sim- Don't care, have a backup phone
4. Preferred choice of brand- None
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)- just good enough for normal usage
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc)- Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready)- any
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)- internet
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration- Zenfone 2,Mi4i
10. Any other info that you want to share-

So which of the two will be better, ze551ml 2gb Zenfone 2(1080p) or mi4i.
Zenfone has monstrous processing power and good thermals but mi4i has better battery life, camera

Smartphone usage mostly involves using wifi for streaming videos and browsing so 3g/4g performance is irrelevant. And I also read a lot of e-books. I want good multitasking performance and gaming performance isn't that important since I prefer PC gaming.

Another question: How is ZenUI ? Will zenfone 2 ever have a custom rom due to its intel soc or will I have to forever use ZenUI ? UI is kind of a big deal for me and I definitely don't like miui, however mi4i will eventually have cm12 since its easy to port for snapdragon right?

In short- Things I don't care about- Form factor,ppi(both have enough), gpu(unless its very weak), 3g/4g performance

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
since custom rom is a deal breaker for you, I suggest Mi4i or even Yuphoria
Zenfone has a poor camera as discussed and compared extensively in forums and I myself didnt believe it till I got a hands on
also despite its superior intel chipset,it loses out in terms of dev support like you mentioned and since Asus also dissed Windows 10(so no support from devs or officially),unlike Xiaomi who partnered with Microsoft to create a beta custom rom for windows 10 on the mi4,I suggest mi4i because itll have more flexibility rom-wise(has both dev support and official support for roms,only drawback is xiaomi doesnt release its source)

If you are ok with 16GB storage, get Mi4i..... It will get CM 12 or already has.... Also it has a better display, camera & battery life, also looks(varies person to person)

The Volstagg

Broken In
A small doubt:
Why it is easy to port a custom ROM on snapdragon SoC than Intel (or any other). What makes it easy to develop and port custom rom on snapdragon only? Is it because of hardware reasons or software... ?

A

amit.tiger12

it's better to stay away from x86/x64 till it's get proper support in android... now it's getting proper support by most of the app developers...
if you want to buy zenfone 2 then 18,999 rs model will be better choice than other models.. but priced above then your budget...
comparing this zenfone 2 with 4i..
choice will be mi 4i... so get mi 4i.. :)

A

amit.tiger12

^ :yeahright: it reminded me my one of the degree subject, microprocessor and microcontroller..
:doogone:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
A small doubt:
Why it is easy to port a custom ROM on snapdragon SoC than Intel (or any other). What makes it easy to develop and port custom rom on snapdragon only? Is it because of hardware reasons or software... ?

I guess you can say both
SD has always been monopolistic in a way and source etc has generally been available

OP
S

sarthak96

Broken In
since custom rom is a deal breaker for you, I suggest Mi4i or even Yuphoria
Zenfone has a poor camera as discussed and compared extensively in forums and I myself didnt believe it till I got a hands on
also despite its superior intel chipset,it loses out in terms of dev support like you mentioned and since Asus also dissed Windows 10(so no support from devs or officially),unlike Xiaomi who partnered with Microsoft to create a beta custom rom for windows 10 on the mi4,I suggest mi4i because itll have more flexibility rom-wise(has both dev support and official support for roms,only drawback is xiaomi doesnt release its source)

Xiaomi doesn't release its sources? I thought it was mandatory to release sources for manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

Could anyone comment on the heating issues on mi4i? I don't game much but does it heat to the extent of throttling on multitasking and light gaming?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Xiaomi doesn't release its sources? I thought it was mandatory to release sources for manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

Could anyone comment on the heating issues on mi4i? I don't game much but does it heat to the extent of throttling on multitasking and light gaming?

Actually only 2-3 manufacturers release source,that too for only a few models

The Volstagg

Broken In
MIUI... I really don't like it... Also a bit tough and confusing to use.. esp notifications.. Original Android is far far better (as always)..

Today I had an opportunity to experience samsung version of lollipop on galaxy edge.. Not so sweet. The ROMs they release don't have much difference (kitkat and lollipop looks almost similar... What fun then?). Also today while travelling on bus, I saw two people using galaxy grand duos.. But one phone had android lollipop (original... just as in nexus) and another jelly bean.. Is cyanogenmod 12 available for galaxy grand?

PS: no one replied to my previous doubt

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
AFAIK Sony, LG, HTC, samsung, Oneplus, Oppo, release sources of most phones. Sony even has AOSP program for its devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Source code including the kernel.

thats not enough
plus they dont release for all devices
also bootloader issues are there with every new release(read G3,Xperia etc)

OP
S

sarthak96

Broken In
Anyone know about mi4i's heating during extended usage(non gaming)? And any other smartphones which I could watch out for

OP
S

sarthak96

Broken In
The only gripe in mi4i for me is the terrible 8 core snapdragon 615. Its gimmicky
Update: Asus released zenfone 2's kernel source before its release and aftermarket development on xda is healthy. I am going to dump that xiaomi heater for it

Last edited:
Top Bottom