Your opinion on the following build...

slashragnarok

In the zone
This is my first post on this forum and i would like to know what you guys think of the following build.

Before that I would like to say a few things about my usage pattern.

Firstly, the rig is meant to be for gaming BUT I am by no means a hardcore gamer and I just want a system that will play MOST games at very high settings at 1280x768 at max. By most games however I do not mean Crysis and similar games. I do not want a through the roof framerate on the games. 60 fps would be great.

Lastly, yes I do intend to overclock and apart from the items mentioned on the list, the rest I already have.

The list:

1. AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Processor

2. MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard

3. Gskill Ripjaws Series 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL Desktop Memory

4. Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 11163-02 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

5. Cooler Master Gladiator 600 RC-600-KWN1-GP With Side Window Mid Tower Computer Case

6. Cooler Master eXtreme V2.3 460W RS-460-PCARA3 Power Supply

7. Antec KÜHLER BOX CPU Cooler

So what are your thoughts on this build. I have never built a rig before. Please give me your suggestions. As for budget, the lower the better for me.

Thanks.

ajai5777

Youngling
Its better to wait for BD till june or else, you can go for SB i5 if you are going the AMD way and in case you cant wait, go for atleast a X6.

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Okay my budget is Rs 40000 only for the parts mentioned. Please don't include HDD and other peripherals in this.

By the way, I get what SB means but am stumped on the BD part. Please excuse my ignorance of acronyms.

And is my GPU okay?

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Ah I get it now. And thanks for the cabinet and PSU suggestions Gaurav.

As for the X6 suggestion, I mentioned I'm not looking to play ultra high requirement games. I mean do most games even use 6 cores? Isn't 4 cores enough for most games?

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Just so you know, I am more than willing to sacrifice that extra mileage that Intel provides so I can invest in other parts like the GPU.

Intel Core i5 2400 @9500
Intel DH67CL @6500
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL @2500
MSI NGTX560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC @14500
Corsair VX450 @3500
CM Gladiator 600 @3500

Total --> 40000

There you have. Monster proccy. Monster GPU (for your low resolution 1280x768...it'll get 100+ fps on most games...dunno about Metro 2033 however).
Enough to keep you runnig and gaming for the next few years. :)

MegaMind

Human Spambot
For overclocking,
i5 2500k - 11K
Intel DP67BG - 8.5k
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - 2.5k
corsair vx450 - 3.5k
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6850 - 9.5k(for future proof)
OR
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5770 - 7.5k
Cooler Master Gladiator 600 - 3.4k

total - 38.4k with 6850
- 36.4k with 5770

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, Gaurav what do you think about saving a few bucks on the Twin Frozer and getting a HD 6850 as suggested by mailme.manju. I mean how big a difference in performance is it between the two GPUs, considering my game load of course.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, Gaurav what do you think about saving a few bucks on the Twin Frozer and getting a HD 6850 as suggested by mailme.manju. I mean how big a difference in performance is it between the two GPUs, considering my game load of course.

but i think you should keep the twin frozr II. that'll be more future proof than 6850. if you change your monitor in the future, this 560Ti will serve you better.

also i suggest you don't stress on ocing your cpu.
nowadays, processors (atleast Intel proccies) are fast enough so that oc-ing is actually pointless except while doing benchmarks just for the sake of making and breaking records.
that's when oc-ing helps as it squeezes everything out of the cpu.

the i5-2400 is a beast even at stock and will serve you well.
it costs less than i5-2500k and hence i channeled the saved money from the DP67BG ( @8500)mobo and 2500k( @11000) towards a better gpu.
and good thing is that the 560Ti is factory-OC'd. performs almost at the GTX 570 level.

but if you still wanna go the cpu-way then you can get what mailme.manju has suggested.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Intel Core i5 2500k @11000
Intel DP67BG @8500 or ASUS P8P67 B3 ~ 10k
I am not sure the B3 rev are arrived in market or not, but if you get a chance to buy this, do it.

Sapphire HD6850 @ 9500

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
Yeah I think you're right about not OCing. More so since I have no idea how to go about doing it. And if I don't OC do I still need to buy a CPU cooler or is the stock cooler good enough?

By the way, I'm in Kolkata. Are the prices quoted more or less same here?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
For SB, no need for OC till 4GHz. The stock cooler will do fine.

And prices are almost same, if any fluctuations, then it'll be +/- 200-500 bucks at the most.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^will you upgrade monitor in future? if yes when, because those 560 and 6850 suggested above will give no visible difference as compared to 5670!!

OP
slashragnarok

slashragnarok

In the zone
I'm looking to buy the setup in June. latest by July and the monitor will be upgraded to a BenQ E2220HD in September. So does it make a difference if I buy the system in July?

Top Bottom