XP Home Edition for 3800/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey guyz i am getting widows xp home edition from a seller for 3800 bucks. he claims it is an OEM seal packed version and he had received it as a gift thats why he is selling it this cheap. i want your opinion whether i should buy it or not. will an OEM version work on an assembled system and also will it work when i upgrade my sys ?? sorry for the trouble guyz but plz advice . thanx.

he is also giving TREND MICRO PC-CILLIN 2003 free with it.

theraven

Technomancer
OEM is bundled with a new PC
its not for resale
i suggest u dun buy it ... specially since most OEM's install only on specific machines they are made for

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Yea, theraven is right. OEM versions are customized for the PC they were distributed with. In fact, they are not even meant to be sold without a PC (the disc will probably say so). Besides, I think the retail version should cost roughly around 4k too.

medpal

Medic on Call!!
well win xp home is good for novice users and no problems of stability.

but if you are getting without any authorised channel it may be used once or like that so stay away from it and i think the retail version is priced around 4k and oem which comes bundled is around 3.6 k so the price quoted to you is little higher for oem.

stay away and go for a retail pack and if you are planning a new pc buy an oem version.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Nemesis said:
Yea, theraven is right. OEM versions are customized for the PC they were distributed with. In fact, they are not even meant to be sold without a PC (the disc will probably say so). Besides, I think the retail version should cost roughly around 4k too.
actually, i dont think it necessarily means that the XP OEM is made to suit some particular company, it cud also mean if some computer to wants to give win XP, they can give the OEM CD...well, u get the idea rt?
i purchased an WinXP home edition OEM CD and i have no probs with my PC :D
and i saw the same kinda CD was given by HCL when my friend purchased a BeanStalk.

vysakh

Padawan
i have a beanstalk and i got xp home OEM free with it. I tried installing it in my friends PC and there were no problems at all. The only prolem was regarding MS PLUS which said that this software is meant to be installed only on an HCL computer.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
sreevirus said:
Nemesis said:
actually, i dont think it necessarily means that the XP OEM is made to suit some particular company, it cud also mean if some computer to wants to give win XP, they can give the OEM CD...well, u get the idea rt?
i purchased an WinXP home edition OEM CD and i have no probs with my PC :D
and i saw the same kinda CD was given by HCL when my friend purchased a BeanStalk.

I never meant that the CD will suit only the brand it came with. I meant that they CDs have customized content particular to the brand of computer. Like with Dell, I get some stuff like Dell Solution Center, etc, etc. Of course it should install without any issues. But always better to get retail IMHO. :D

crashuniverse

In the zone
oops!
i may hurt some ppl around but whats the use of a licensed version
go for newer windows xp media centre edition (ask any friend of urs) which comes packed with sp2, n other visual enhancements....xm home will have limitations,u know dat...abt OEM, no idea.

theraven

Technomancer
windows XP MCE is majorly if u have a tv tuner
else its useless. ...
besides its based on xp home and not pro !
so id rather stick to xp pro any day
anywho ... yes its not necessary that OEM will work ONLY with the PC it was provided with
but yes ... it does have customised drivers/software for that particular PC
and what i meant was, that MOST of them have coniguration checking before being able to install
this is most true for laptops

chinmay

Journeyman
well...can ne 1 temme ne technical difference between xp pro and home edition...i've been using xp pro form the very time when it ws launched....but now i have switched to home edition bcuz i got its original copy...i din find any diff(except for blue and green theme...lol..)...

iinfi

mekalodu
XP home sucks ....

even if u wanna buy it ...buy it frm a shop ....

it will cost u almost the same .....

XP pro will cost around 11k .....

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
oops!
i may hurt some ppl around but whats the use of a licensed version
go for newer windows xp media centre edition (ask any friend of urs) which comes packed with sp2, n other visual enhancements....xm home will have limitations,u know dat...abt OEM, no idea.

i thought windows xp mce was available only with certain branded pc's and microsoft hasnt released a retail version of it ......are you talking about a pirated version and have u used win xp mce ?

iinfi

mekalodu
XP home wud cost u 3.5-4 k

and pro will set u back by 11k

disclaimer: approx prices. plz check with local dealer for further info.

Status
Not open for further replies.