Working on MS Excel

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I work in a bank. I am having thousands of Debit Cards delivered in our branch almost fortnightly due to PMJDY & it is driving us all crazy in arranging them before delivering them to customers. By arranging I mean these Cards & their PINs are delivered to us separately & in no order. Till now, we used to receive these Cards & PINs & match them & put a number on both the Card & PIN. But with PMJDY these cards have increased manifold & it is becoming impossible to sort & match them timely. I need to create some steps in making these ATMs to be delivered timely.
I create a report file on the number of accounts opened from a period. I import this .rpt file into Excel & have the following columns on it:

1. A/c No 2. A/c Name 3. Card 4. PIN

Column 3 is the Card No which we write on each Card & Column 4 is for each PIN. Card No & PIN No may not be the same like we received Debit Cards of A/c Nos 1 to 100 & PINs of A/c Nos 100 to 200 in one occasion & vice versa on another occasion. So A/c Nos 1 to 100 have Card No 1 to 100 & PIN No 100 to 200.
Where I find difficulty is in how will I update the excel file. I would generate such .rpt files on ,say, every 10 days & add them to my original excel file otherwise many excel sheets will have to be created. Like to start fresh I would first generate a report of accounts opened from August 2014 on 17-01-2015. On 27-01-2015 I would create another file with accounts opened from 17-01-2015 to 26-01-2015. I would want to update my original excel file with the new records. Is there a way to do that?
Also, we need the data to be sorted as new lots will be delivered & we shall know what was the last Card No & PIN No as the report files will be sorted by Account Numbers by default.
Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Last edited:
OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I have continued with this strategy with one change that there would be only one serial number (Card no & pin no).... First I put a serial number on the card & search that when putting the number on Pin

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It would be a lot easier for other to suggest you something if they have some sample to begin with.

Hence, I suggest to create a sample workbook, containing dummy data which correctly reflects live scenario, and put comments to explain each column etc. Then post only your query about what you want to achieve since scenario could already be understood by that workbook.

Flash

Lost in speed
Still am not getting clearly, But i guess, this is what you're asking..

Why don't you add a column "Date", where you could update the date you pull the report?
So, if you pull the report on Jan-1, all the A/C no#'s (say 1-100) pulled till that time will have that Jan-1 on the "Date" column.

Suppose if you pull the report on Feb-1, you can pull the A/C no#'s' (say 101-200 added after Jan-1) directly and update the "Date" column of 101-200 to Feb-1.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Still am not getting clearly, But i guess, this is what you're asking..

Why don't you add a column "Date", where you could update the date you pull the report?
So, if you pull the report on Jan-1, all the A/C no#'s (say 1-100) pulled till that time will have that Jan-1 on the "Date" column.

Suppose if you pull the report on Feb-1, you can pull the A/C no#'s' (say 101-200 added after Jan-1) directly and update the "Date" column of 101-200 to Feb-1.

Thanks for suggesting! Therein lies my question that whether I could update the original excel file (created on Jan-1), on Feb-1 ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why would you not be able to update the original file? Is something restricting you to?
Else you could just copy the spreadsheet and update that.

Top Bottom