workgroup not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
i have two PCS with Win XP SP2 installed on both pcs.

One computer connected with bsnl broadband have two lan cards , one inbuilt and other DAX lan card.
another computer also have lan card installed..

i connected the two computers with crossover cable.

the problem is with the client computer. whenevr i try to open the workgroup
in the my network places, it gives a error msg.

[ "Mshome" could not be open. You might not have the permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have the access permission.]

I have consult all the threads present relating to network in this forum &
have assign ip address & all other settings accordingly on the both the pcs.

When i try to ping the ip address from both the computer, it sometimes
replies and sometimes says Request timeout..

Please help me yaar

ishaan

Padawan
if you r using xp, use the networking wizard....make sure the pc's have the same workgroup name and diff namz for each other

maybe the lan cards of one of the pcs is faulty ? sometimz works sometimes dont ? next time it fails to work, check on the back if the lights on da lan card are on or not

digen

Youngling
Lets assess the problem step by step.
First disable firewalls if any,check whether the cable has been properly crimped.
Also have you shared any resources[files/folders] ?

OP
N

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
@ ishaan
I have run the network wizard on the both the pcs , and also have assign same workgroup "mshome" & different computer name "NEW" & "OLD"

I dont think any of the lan cards are faulty becoz the led is glowing continuously on both the lan cards.

@ digen

I have disable the firewall on both the network connection.
And as i said earlier i am unable to share any folder in the " OLD" computer ie. the client becoz it gives an error msg. " server not accessible or you might not have the permission to use this network resource"
While in the host pc i am able to share folder & in the workgroup the name of the computer i.e. "NEW" is also present which is not in the case of the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom