Wireless With modem and without modem?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Currently i am going to opt for a new broadband connection. here I have a confusion between with modem and without modem. I dont want to know the technical difference between them, I did google on them, and dint understand anything :???:. Just want to know what is the necessity of the modem and which ISP's require modem.

If I go for airtel,reliance,bsnl and buy TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless without Modem Router | Router | Flipkart.com (wireless router without modem), will it work?

Or if I go for local ISP's what should I go for?

Also please suggest a router with modem which supports dd-wrt within the range of 2K.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
you have got confused with Wireless Router and a wireless Router with a modem.

if you already have a modem (say provided by Airtel, BSNL etc) you can just go for the router, you need to have both devices connected together.

but if you go for a router with modem, then you can use this single device for connection to internet as well as your home networking. and keep your existing modem as standby/backup in case your router get into some trouble.

I suggest you go for a router with modem so save the space.

other members can recommend the model as I am not familiar with the current products available in the market.

I hope this cleared up your confusion.

OP
A

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Oh..thanks. So every ISP(Broadband) needs a modem to connect internet, or is there any exceptional case? like local ISPs, cable operators.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
there are couple of ways how internet is provided by companies. ADSL+ (landline) is the most common in India Airtel, BSNL etc. for that one can buy a Router +Modem. When it comes to others like cable, FTTH etc they will provide their own modems, you can just buy a router in this case.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
modem is needed only for those ISP's which use phone lines & traditional ADSL so only airtel & BSNL/MTNL in India currently.Reliance also uses phone line but it uses a different version of ADSL so no modem is required.for all the rest only router is needed.fiber optic is not telephone line so again plans from Airtel & BSNL/MTNL using fiber optic/FTTH also don't need modem.

dabster

In the zone
^^ Whitestar gave the complete answer here.
it depends on what connection you are taking as to which wifi router you should buy.
lil off thread - Can somebody help between
Buffalo 150Mbps Wireless-N Wireless Entry Model Router | Router | Flipkart.com
and
TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless without Modem Router | Router | Flipkart.com

And feature difference that i should look for ? How is buffalo quality (seemingly a japanese brand, eh? )..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
get this.the best router for its price:
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router | Router | Flipkart.com
only better option is asus RT-N13U B1 which costs ~3000.

OP
A

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Thanks you guys for clearing my doubt. So can you suggest me a router with modem, with dd-wrt support? Budget 2K(+500).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
modem part of any router are not supported by DD-WRT. so that puts all ADSL router out of question for DD-WRT.
this is the best adsl modem+router for its price:
TP-LINK DW8961 ADSL plus WIFI 300MBPS

Top Bottom