Wireless Internet connection on Ubuntu 5.10 (Bluetooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptid

Journeyman
ok firstly i dont know if this thread belongs here coz its a mixed question of Linux and Mobile phone,,,,
ok here's the deal i have a USB bluetooth dongle of 10mts range which came with IVT bluesoliel software and so it was not a big problem to use my phone(nokia 6630) to connection to the internet(Hutch www services), or to transfer files back and forth on Windows XP but now i have to be able to do all the same stuff on Ubuntu,,,, i tried to install NOkia PC suite & Bluesoliel on ubuntu using Crossover Office and WinE but the installation showed a error and aborted,,, so i need to know is there a bluesoliel like software for Linux or are there ne other methods i saw lots of tuts on the net on now to connect to ur phone GPRS connection using linux but none of them worked so please help me out

I know that my bluetooth device is working and is being detected properly by Ubuntu(i have blueztool bluetooth stack installed) and i was able to succesfully detect my phone by doing a hcitool scan and was able to ping it without ne problems

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You will have to install kdebluetooth framework usign synaptic. Then you will have to use KPPP to use your phone as a modem. I cannot provide further answer as I've never used KPP.
But, you can have a look here. Also, this.
Maybe this one on geocities will be most helpful *www.geocities.com/tru2oxid/index.html

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
you can ping to ur phone? thats excellant. you are half way thru! follow these steps. actually i'm getting stuck in bluetooth pin. hope this works for you.

# hcitool scan
(will show u the rfid. note it down)

# rfcomm bind 0 <rfid> 1

# rfcomm show
(it should show it on channel 1 and clean)

#mknod /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
(will create the modem device)

note that the modem identifier is rfcomm0

#cat < /dev/rfcomm0

ur phone should now ask for bluetooth pin. take a look at /etc/bluetooth/pin or execute /usr/bin/bluepin. this should give u the pairing pin. enter it on the phone so that it gets paired (i'm stuck here...my phone doesn't accept pin, tho the pin shown is 1234) anways if u want u can edit /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf and disable the pin request. u can do i in ur phone too.

after pairing, fire up ppp or wvdial or wotever u are using and set user to : 91<phone no.>, password: <1234 or leave blank>. modem, select /dev/rfcomm0, dial up no.: *99***1# (replace 1 wid 2,3...according to the gprs profile in ur phone)

query the modem. if everything was ok, you should be able to connect to the net.

hope that helps! :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
oh yeah one more thing if you are hafing problems wid pairing ur phone you can edit the hcid.conf file and comment out the default pin_helper entry. instead add thisL pin_helper /usr/share/kde/kdebluetooth/kbluepin. replace the path where u haf installed kde if not in that folder. even after doing this you are hafing trouble entering the pin, then when the pairing is initiated and the phone asks for pin, just execute the kbluepin mentioned above from the kde installed folder. give the same pin and u should be able to pair the phone widout any problems. of corz this applies only if u haf installed the kde bluetooth framework!

mehulved

I didn't have that pin entry for kbluepin at all. I had to maually write it out. In Knoppix it is placed in /usr/lib/kbluepin. I edited hcid.conf file to point to the above file as pin helper. And then refreshed hcid but no success. kdebluetooth framework is installed by default in knoppix no problems there.
Now, if I can get bluetooth running I can ask my sis for her cell and check out for how to use it as a modem.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
i am trying to use easy GPRS connect software but it has too many dependencies and it is driving me nuts,,,,, has ne body used it,, if so please let me know

mehulved

What software are you trying to use? Have you had a look for it in gentoo or debain repositories first? That is the better way to install software on Ubuntu.

OP
C

cryptid

Journeyman
I use Ubuntu 5.10 and i didnt find it in synaptic i have added over 20 external repositories but couldnt find a single software usefull to connnect my phone and use it as a modem,,,, for the first time in my life i am not having fun using Linux,,,,

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
easy gprs?? hmmm...guess you are using a samsung phone! i am yet to see a software for simplifying of gprs setup in linux. you hafta do it manually.

mehulved

Did you try using 'apt-get install <name of the software>'?
Why don't you use KPPP? Or gnokii if you prefer command line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom