WinXP slowing down

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by soham, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soham

soham New Member

My pc has recently been infected by a lot of trojans and viruses. I reinstalled xp with sp2 over it and scanned and removed all the trojans in the pc. Though all the probs of applications not running have disappeared, i find my pc still very slow. On carefull observation i found that the system idle process was hogging most of the cpu. I rechecked for any virus but found none. Can anyone help?
    Thanks.
    :sad:

2. anandk

anandk Distinguished Member

generic advice : scan ur pc in SAFE MODE with one antivirus (avast/avg) and atleat 2 anti-spys (adaware & ewido). run ccleaner to clear pc junk. reduce ur startup entries.

posting ur hijackthis logfile here would help someone analyse the problem....

3. siriusb

siriusb New Member

Chennai, India, Asia, the Earth, the Solar system,
    If you notice more carefully, system idle process has a priority of zero. This means that it cannot, in a milion years, preempt any other thread. So don't worry about that one. Look at any non-essential and essential app's settings for the source of slowdowns.

4. OP
    OP
    soham

soham New Member

Hey guys, wait i cant right click on my system idle process on task manager. then how come i know its priority is zero.

5. siriusb

siriusb New Member

Chennai, India, Asia, the Earth, the Solar system,
    Select View->Select Columns... in task manager and check "Base priority".
    The priority for system idle process should be "N/A". It's basically a 16KB loop that runs when no process is active.
    Post your hijackthis log instead.

6. sakumar79

sakumar79 Active Member

System idle time cannot possibly hog system resources. As sirius says, it is basically a empty thread that loops while Windows has nothing else to do...

First things first - checking for viruses, spyware,etc... Run scans in safe mode, post hijackthis log, etc.

Second - Run ccleaner to remove junk from your system
    Third - Run a defrag on your system. Also, get the software called PageDefrag and use it to defrag your registry.
    Fourth - Check your page file size and make it fixed. If possible, keep it on the first partition of a secondary hard disk.
    Fifth - Disable unnecessary services (through services.msc) and startup items (through msconfig)
    Sixth - Use tweaking software such as TweakUI and Xteq X-Setup to finetune your system. Also, check out xpAntispy and TuneXP

Arun

7. OP
    OP
    soham

soham New Member

here's the hijackthis log file :

8. samrulez

samrulez New Member

If its not a virus ,spyware prob..........it much be sue to fragmentation.............Defragment u r hdd.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.