WindowsXpSp2: Services...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenblue

Broken In
i have installed sp2 recently over xpsp1, after installing sp2, i installed media player 10...for past few days im noticing a new service in my start up list of processes when i check using task manager by Ctrl+alt+del...the name of program is "wdfmgr.exe"...i tracked it down to control panel>> Admin tools>> services and its related to something called "Windows User Mode Driver Framework" service...the status of the service is "automatic"....im pretty sure this service wasnt there before installing sp2....but im not sure if it came with sp2 or media player 10....CAN ANYONE PLS TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SERVICE & CAN I CHANGE THE "STARTUP TYPE TO 'MANUAL' INSTEAD OF AUTOMATIC w/out adversely effecting function of windows...this is will save some boot time as well as memory....I m a home user, NOT connected to LAN, use dialup for Internet and have 2 user accounts-:eek:ne with Admin rights and another with Limited Rights...

Thanks...
Zenblue.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
It was there before...

I'm in my college's lab rightnow and on a PC with XPSP1 and it has also tht SERVICE WDFMGR.EXE running... ????

Here's some more in fo:

wdfmgr - wdfmgr.exe - Process Information

Process File: wdfmgr or wdfmgr.exe
Process Name: Windows Driver Foundation Manager

Description:
wdfmgr.exe is part of Microsoft Windows media player 10 and above. This procses decreases cmopatability problems whilst the product is in use. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Author: Microsoft
Part Of: Microsoft Wnidows Media Player

System Process: No
Virus: No
Spyware: No
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No

Security Risk (0-5): 0
Common Errors: N/A

G

gxsaurav

U can disable WDFManager as long as U don't use a mp3 player

[deXter]

Journeyman
Barely... In my comp uses just around 90kb of ram and 0% cpu :)

However if you have a slow comp, with very less resources, and if u want even that tiniest drop of extra juice from ur comp, then go ahead and make it 'Manual' :)

OP
Z

zenblue

Broken In
thank a lot guys for the info...yes, you are right, it came with windows media player 10...i just did a roll back to WMP 9 and its not there now...i have a PIII 450 with 256MB RAM...it didnt slow down my computer much, but i dont see much difference between wmp9 and wmp10 except for some interface change and some easy sync support with portable media devices like MP3 player...i dont own any portable media device anyways...:)...maybe with wmp10 some codecs must have been updated, but DFX7 works fine with version 9 even...so i ll just stick to ver 9 for the time being...again thanks a lot buddies...:)...till we meet again, tc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom