Windows XP SP2 Tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

prj15

Right off the assembly line
Here's some performance tweaks for Windows XP SP2 -

First go to the Registry, Start > Run > type regedit -or- regedt32

Then apply the following as necessary:

Disable the SP antivirus and firewall functions - and keep XP from nagging about it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
; don't monitor firewall and antivirus
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001

;Disable antivirus and firewall check at boot time

SP2 enables Auto Updates by default. This is good for you, but some folks disagree, so here is how to turn it off:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"AUOptions"=dword:00000001
;disable Auto Update
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
;Stop nagging about AU being turned off

How to turn off the SP2 firewall (if you must):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000000
; turn off firewall policy for domain profile
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000000
;disable firewall policy for standard profile

I couldn't post more tweaks because it's pretty long , if you want to see all SP2 tweaks visit www.xp-hacks.blogspot.com

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey posts have been posted which contain this stuff....and the link is to your own site .... aint it against the rules .. just to increse the traffic to the blog you post the link in a very intelligent manner...wow! ...lol

OP
P

prj15

readermaniax said:
Hey posts have been posted which contain this stuff....and the link is to your own site .... aint it against the rules .. just to increse the traffic to the blog you post the link in a very intelligent manner...wow! ...lol

Well, First of all that's not my Blog or Site (I wish I could make that good site ) And you know whay haven't I posted the whole content because blog owner (my friend PJ = Pranya) doesn't want his great content posted on this forum.
Secondly, I'm not advertising but I'm showing you the way of great information which you think is a form of advertising. Well If you think that way , then mate u r missin' something great.

OP
P

prj15

dIgItaL_BrAt said:
or u could just disable them from the Control Panel.

Ya it's just non-geeky and novice way you are referring to.
But using that way you can really control form core. I mean you can also make some advance changes, you know,if you read the whole article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom