Windows XP Easter eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravimevcha

Journeyman
Hidden quotes in Windows XP

there is a secret file in Windows XP called "quotes". In order to get there you must be somewhat familiar with how to use Windows, simply open up My Computer (explorer) and double click on your main drive (probably C:) next navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc This is where the quotes file is. Open the file named quotes in your favorite text editor (notepad, MS Word, Emacs:p ) then look at the quotes put there by the MS developers!
**note: I use Windows XP Pro, it might only work in professional edition **

On the screen in Win XP Pro where one logs in initially, there is a tiny little Easter Egg.

Simply leave your computer on that screen long enough for the screensaver to come on. Then move the mouse.
What happened?
Well, look in the bottom left corner. The litte button marked "Turn of computer" now reads "Turn off Banana 2000"!
((For those who don't ge it, in the comic strip Bloom County, one character owned a Banana 2000 computer, which eventually became a character in its own existential right... walking around and everything))

Special Requirements:
Windows XP Pro

Candy Cane Pipes

1.Go to Display Properties
2.Click the Screen saver tab then Click 3D Pipes 3.Click Settings
4.Click Textured
5.Click Choose Texture
6.Click Cancel.
7.Click OK on the Screen Saver Setup
Now The Pipes
should be Candy Cane Colored!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Thank You???? Easter Eggs????? What in....????

(sigh) Let's get a couple of things cleared up. Those ARE NOT Easter Eggs for Windows XP. The first "Easter Egg", the quotes file, is actually a built in feature that has been around for a really, really, long time. Its part of the "Quote of the Day" (like MOTD) that gets installed when you install Simple TCP/IP services. Considering how most of them don't have that installed, they will not have that particular file in the:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc
folder. However, you can get the file off the i386 folder on the Windows installation CD. Once you have Simple TCP/IP services installed, you can test it out by probably telnetting into your own computer, in which case, you will be shown a random quote upon login.

As for the second "Easter Egg" I don't know quite what to make of it. You usually get the "Turn off computer" or "Turn off <computer_name>" where <computer_name> is the name you gave to the computer (Computer Description). For me, its MatrixOne, so I would be getting a "Turn off MatrixOne" message. I guess Banana 2000 is probably the name of your computer, as I am aware of no such "Easter Egg."

Coming to the last Easter Egg, its not really one again. When you choose Texture, then the candy texture is what's applied by DEFAULT, and this is a documented Microsoft feature. You can change the default texture by selecting another texture file. If you're more interested, however, you can try to look for teapots in that screensaver, which is somewhat of an Easter Egg. Select a Solid Surface Style and Mixed Joint Type under Pipe Style and wait for some time, and you will be getting a rare teapot image at the joint if you stare/wait long enough. It's pretty much completely random, and is a great way of killing time and getting scolded by your superiors for wasting time looking at the screensaver, with a finger over Prnt Scrn button and whooping the place down every time you see one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom