Windows 98 cannot detect CD ROM drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

datta_saptarshi

Right off the assembly line
I have an Intel 865 GBF motherboard with Intel P-IV 2.8GHz HT processor, one 80 GB Seagate SATA HDD, 256 MB DDR RAM, Samsung CD Writer and Samsung DVD ROM Drive. When I try to install Windows 98SE it gets installed, but my DVD ROM Drive and CD Writer are not shown in My Computer. Probably there is some problem with IDE Controller. I installed all drivers from my motherboard CD. I even tried to install the CD/DVD ROM driver from a flopy which came bundled with the DVD ROM Drive. After installation of the driver both the drives were shown as CD ROM drives only. Moreover autoply CDs wre not autoplayed. There was no problem when I tried to install Windows XP Professional. It detected both the drives properly. Intel website does not give any driver update for my Motherboard with Windows 98. I want to dual boot my PC with Windows 98 and Windows XP. Please help me.

vegeta_killer

Broken In
well your prob seem's to be familiar, it's not of about your IDE controls,
here you can try to fix it..
1.try to check your bios settings n if your prob persist,
2.try to use a third party software (only if you are using MM keyboard)
3.if your OS is detecting both the drives ,try to eject n load the drive (one havin prob)by right clicking over that drive icon in your explorer window.

third one might sound stup. but it will arive either due to wrong jumper settings, or if u had installed ur OS from a corrupt pirated disk. :shock:
make sure your cables are screwed in right place :wink:

rajzoo1

Broken In
Make DVD Rom as Primary Slave and CDRW as Sec Master. Connect the IDE cables farmly (it may be due to loose connection) Make a fresh Win 98 installation from a good CD. I think it should solve ur problem. I too had same problem few weeks back.

ssahailakandi

OP
D

datta_saptarshi

Right off the assembly line
Thank you all for your advice. I have solved the problem. I opened the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS and deleted the NOIDE value. Then I restarted the machine. Both of my CD writer and DVD ROM drives were detected and there was no problem with autoplay of CD and DVD.
So the topic ends here. I think the solution may help someone else with similar type of problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.