Windows 8 upgrade question

dsmarty

Journeyman
Hi guys,

I bought lenovo Z580 yesterday, which comes with windows 7 home basic preloaded. But a lot of cool features are missing in home basic edition. So I was thinking to upgrade my OS to windows 8 pro, under microsoft's upgrade offer. But I have some doubts before requesting for an upgrade. I hope you guys will help me as you did before. :)

1) Is win 8 upgrade a good idea? Are the drivers working well? Any known issues with lenovo ideapad series + win 8?
2) If I upgrade, will I still be able to use win 7 home basic key?
3) Windows 8 key can be used for fresh installs or I have to upgrade from win 7 home basic and then use the key?

Please help me clear my doubts. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
1. As you are using HB , Win 8 Pro is much better. check Lenovo Website for available drivers.
2. Legally you cannot use the copy of Win 7 after upgrade. (someone please correct me if I am wrong :p), technically its possible to dual boot your win 7 and Win 8.
3. you can use the Win 8 Key for fresh install. all you have to do is create a ISO Image from the upgrade assistant. check here for more information

EDIT: BTW.. you can get Windows 8 Pro Pack for free for a limited period

OP
D

dsmarty

Journeyman
Thanks a lot RCuber for clearing my doubts. :D
btw, I also live in ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು ;)

EDIT : Applied for upgrade offer and also media center addon. Thank you :)

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
good.. so you purchased it or still yet to receive the upgrade key??

After purchase the Upgrade Assistant will download the files first and then give the options to install. in that you select create ISO. and within a couple of minutes you should have your ISO ready. after that use the USB tool to create a bootable pen drive and install it. based on your requirement you can either wipe your Win 7 partition or use another new partition. as yours came with Win 7 preinstalled there would be one ~15GB recovery partition.. leave that intact as it would contain recovery image (just in case ;))

Note: as I said before you can technically dual boot with your existing Win7 installation but its subjected to "legality" and license and stuff.. check that..

in anycase take backup of your Win 7 Activation also. check this guide How to Reinstall Windows Without Having to Reactivate - How-To Geek

OP
D

dsmarty

Journeyman
No, I don't have the product key yet. Just registered my key at windowsupgradeoffer.com, any idea how long will it be?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I think there wont be any problem in using win 7 and win 8 as dual boot as he owns it both (legally). Remember, win 7 came with the lappy and its not the pirated version. :)

OP
D

dsmarty

Journeyman
Thanks for the help guys. My upgrade request has been approved now, but another problem has come up.
I was going to place order using windows 8 upgrade assistant, but it shows only payment options. Paypal and credit card. Isn't it possible to pay using my debit card?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ no its not possible.. borrow some friends CC and pay him back ..

or use EntroPay.

Top Bottom