Windows 2003 Workstation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajdumbledore

Right off the assembly line
So, you got Windows 2003 Server and are annoyed with all that server things that just annoy you more. Dont want that Ctrl+Alt+Del to be pressed everytime? Want to skin 2003 to XP looks? Want to make 2003 more friendly to common users, then read along and ye shall find! :)

1st thing to do: Get rid of Manage your server screen at startup :-

Just check the Dont display this page at logon and say goodbye to this screen at last!

2nd thing to do: Get rid of "Enhanced Security in IE" thing!

To remove Internet Explorer's Enhanced Security Configuration Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components ->scroll down until you see Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. Click on Details and uncheck both boxes Click OK and OK again! Voila...RIP IE Security! [Who uses IE anyways...Firefox rocks]

3rd thing to do: Where do you...where do you go...my Java!

Windows 2003 Server doesnt come with java preinstalled. What to do? Just grab nearest DIGIT Cd/CHIP Cd/Whatever CD and install it! Kabaam!

4th thing to do: Yawn...Windows even irritates while shutting down!
Ready to shut that beautiful OS for good! Now what! Its asking to to give it reason! Hey I am the boss who are you to ask me such things- you say. Well there is a simple trick to get rid of it..
goto Start -> Run -> and type gpedit.msc followed by enter. Browse to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> now look in the right window pane and double click on Display Shutdown Event Tracker. A window will now appear, simply select Disabled and then proceed to click on OK. Close GPedit and click shutdown from startmenu. Ahaaa... No more reasoning!

5th thing to do: I WANT TO PLAY GAMES!!
Awwww...Windows 2003 doesnt allow you to play gamesy wamsey...so sad :(... But we have a way, just some simple tweaks... Just goto Display properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot Tab. THere just slide the Graphics Accelerator to extreme right!...Thats it! oh no wait!!! some more things to do.... Goto Run, then type dxdiag and enter...On screen that opens click Display tab and then Enable all the options possible from there...and oh while you are there just click Sound Tab and take the slider to extreme right...Phew major 2003 problems solved!

6th thing to do: I love WinXP looks
OK...Soldier..Attention! Our mission is to Bring my sweet themsey back to 2003. Be brave and Follow my orders...Is that understood solder! OK..Goto Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Now, my brave Soldier, Scroll down the right pane and find Themes! Once there, the enemy is to be demolished! double click Themes and then in the window that appears Pull down the startup type and click Automatic and click apply. Then Click Start nad apply...Then goto Display properties and pull down the menu and select Windows XP and click apply...Well done Soldier..Mission ACCOMPLISHED!

More tweaks coming soon. If you like this article then i will post some more tweaks of my own..By the way this article was possible only because of my experiments in 2003 and MSFN.org.

sba

Journeyman
This is where I run to after my Windows 2003 Server installations
How to convert your Windows Server 2003...to a Workstation!

digen

Youngling
rajdumbledore said:
So, you got Windows 2003 Server and are annoyed with all that server things that just annoy you more. Dont want that Ctrl+Alt+Del to be pressed everytime? Want to skin 2003 to XP looks? Want to make 2003 more friendly to common users, then read along and ye shall find! :)

1st thing to do: Get rid of Manage your server screen at startup :-

Just check the Dont display this page at logon and say goodbye to this screen at last!

2nd thing to do: Get rid of "Enhanced Security in IE" thing!

To remove Internet Explorer's Enhanced Security Configuration Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components ->scroll down until you see Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. Click on Details and uncheck both boxes Click OK and OK again! Voila...RIP IE Security! [Who uses IE anyways...Firefox rocks]

3rd thing to do: Where do you...where do you go...my Java!

Windows 2003 Server doesnt come with java preinstalled. What to do? Just grab nearest DIGIT Cd/CHIP Cd/Whatever CD and install it! Kabaam!

4th thing to do: Yawn...Windows even irritates while shutting down!
Ready to shut that beautiful OS for good! Now what! Its asking to to give it reason! Hey I am the boss who are you to ask me such things- you say. Well there is a simple trick to get rid of it..
goto Start -> Run -> and type gpedit.msc followed by enter. Browse to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> now look in the right window pane and double click on Display Shutdown Event Tracker. A window will now appear, simply select Disabled and then proceed to click on OK. Close GPedit and click shutdown from startmenu. Ahaaa... No more reasoning!

5th thing to do: I WANT TO PLAY GAMES!!
Awwww...Windows 2003 doesnt allow you to play gamesy wamsey...so sad :(... But we have a way, just some simple tweaks... Just goto Display properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot Tab. THere just slide the Graphics Accelerator to extreme right!...Thats it! oh no wait!!! some more things to do.... Goto Run, then type dxdiag and enter...On screen that opens click Display tab and then Enable all the options possible from there...and oh while you are there just click Sound Tab and take the slider to extreme right...Phew major 2003 problems solved!

6th thing to do: I love WinXP looks
OK...Soldier..Attention! Our mission is to Bring my sweet themsey back to 2003. Be brave and Follow my orders...Is that understood solder! OK..Goto Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Now, my brave Soldier, Scroll down the right pane and find Themes! Once there, the enemy is to be demolished! double click Themes and then in the window that appears Pull down the startup type and click Automatic and click apply. Then Click Start nad apply...Then goto Display properties and pull down the menu and select Windows XP and click apply...Well done Soldier..Mission ACCOMPLISHED!

More tweaks coming soon. If you like this article then i will post some more tweaks of my own..By the way this article was possible only because of my experiments in 2003 and MSFN.org.

Instead of doing all this why not just install windows xp ? :roll:
Forgive me but I find it ridiculous to revamp a server NOS[Netwok Operating System] to play games & watch video.I find this a sheer waste of time,but hey its justs me.Unless you prove to me otherwise. :)

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
@digen

What your saying is correct. But you know my xp seems to become very slow after a period of time whereas i install many more applications in win2k3 still remains more stable and blazing fast than xp. When i bench mark my hdd it shows lower score in xp and much higher score server.

While writing dvds at over 12x speeds it feels as if the xp sucks and win2k3 is still good fast and responsive.. That i why i try to make win2k3 as my default operating system..

Regards..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom