Windows 10 Home or Pro?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your case HP simply told MS that they have shifted the key to a new mobo of same model & to tie your key to new changed system hash.Laptop manufacturers have different arrangements with MS compared to average person.In any case the most reliable way to know that mobo was changed & not repaired is by looking at the serial no.No two units from a manufacturer should have same serial no.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In your case HP simply told MS that they have shifted the key to a new mobo of same model & to tie your key to new changed system hash.Laptop manufacturers have different arrangements with MS compared to average person.In any case the most reliable way to know that mobo was changed & not repaired is by looking at the serial no.No two units from a manufacturer should have same serial no.

Ya the serial number got changed in BIOS. So, laptop manufacturer's notify MS if they change the motherboard?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,most likely as per their arrangement MS allow them to transfer key to new hardware on account of failed mobo in warranty.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I downloaded Win10. I am goin to install Win10 this weekend. I do not know if the installation will wipe out the entire drive or only C: drive will be formatted.

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone help me here?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I downloaded Win10. I am goin to install Win10 this weekend. I do not know if the installation will wipe out the entire drive or only C: drive will be formatted.

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone help me here?

Only C will be formatted dear. How much did it cost you btw?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Only C will be formatted dear. How much did it cost you btw?
i have the free one. i guess almost everyone here is using the free edition of Win10.
Another doubt, on microsoft forum, i read the installation will halt at 99% for almost 5hours, to zero in the complete drive, can anyone explain about the bold part?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
i have the free one. i guess almost everyone here is using the free edition of Win10.
Another doubt, on microsoft forum, i read the installation will halt at 99% for almost 5hours, to zero in the complete drive, can anyone explain about the bold part?

My complete installation was done in ~25-30 minutes.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Of what I have read here, people are using either upgraded version(from 7/8 to 10) or their system was preinstalled with 10. And the installation will take about 20 minutes. My friend bought Win 10 home version.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and [MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION] , Thanks for replying.
I do have original Win7 Home Premium. I have downloaded the .iso file of Win10. Planning to install from pendrive.
Actually recently one of my friend installed Win10 and it took around 5hrs. He was stuck for 30mins on 30% and then for 5hrs at 99%. After googling about it, i found out that it was common. He used a pirated version of Win until now.

Minion

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] and [MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION] , Thanks for replying.
I do have original Win7 Home Premium. I have downloaded the .iso file of Win10. Planning to install from pendrive.
Actually recently one of my friend installed Win10 and it took around 5hrs. He was stuck for 30mins on 30% and then for 5hrs at 99%. After googling about it, i found out that it was common. He used a pirated version of Win until now.

Upgrade using media creation tool once your device is registered with MS you can clean install Win 10 only thing is version should be same like if you was using win 7 home edition then download win 10 home edition.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
[STRIKE]the download wasn't starting for like 10mins so i downloaded Win10 from this link as suggested by other member
*forum.digit.in/software-q/196864-h...-been-sorted-out-post2285995.html#post2285995[/STRIKE]

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. that is not the link. I was suggested that i can download from official link and can pause/resume download when downloading from some downloading app(IDM). so I did that

- - - Updated - - -

Not able to find the exact post

billubakra

Conversation Architect

I think you can update directly from 7 to 10 also, via Windows update. I may be wrong though.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I think you can update directly from 7 to 10 also, via Windows update. I may be wrong though.

You are right. But the download wasn't starting with that, was stuck at 0% for 15mins so I decided to download the .iso and then later install from pendrive.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^I do not know.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so I tried installing Win10 from the bootable pendrive. I chose ""keep apps and settings" and proceeded, at one point it asked me to remove the pendrive and continue installation after restarting the Windows from within current installation, i.e.Win7 . I did that and then proceeded and encountered error "the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I am getting this same error when I tried installing normally by double clicking Setup.exe in the pendrive. this error comes after laptop restarts. I tried two solutions online but it didn't work(Broadcomm drivers and Disabling LAN from BIOS). Then I tried to intall by selecting "keep files only" but still same error came.

So how shall I install Win10 so that i don't have to buy new key for the registration as I am using original Win 7 Home Premium.

Shall I open a new thread?

billubakra

Conversation Architect
^I do not know.

- - - Updated - - -

OK so I tried installing Win10 from the bootable pendrive. I chose ""keep apps and settings" and proceeded, at one point it asked me to remove the pendrive and continue installation after restarting the Windows from within current installation, i.e.Win7 . I did that and then proceeded and encountered error "the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I am getting this same error when I tried installing normally by double clicking Setup.exe in the pendrive. this error comes after laptop restarts. I tried two solutions online but it didn't work(Broadcomm drivers and Disabling LAN from BIOS). Then I tried to intall by selecting "keep files only" but still same error came.

So how shall I install Win10 so that i don't have to buy new key for the registration as I am using original Win 7 Home Premium.

Shall I open a new thread?

According to the little what I know, you can only upgrade from original 7 or 8 to 10. Re-installation won't install and activate original 10.

Minion

Conversation Architect
You are right. But the download wasn't starting with that, was stuck at 0% for 15mins so I decided to download the .iso and then later install from pendrive.

You can't activate Win 10.I suggest you use media creation tool.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
[MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION] this link ? How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsof

- - - Updated - - -

it has Windows10Upgrade.exe link. 5.5MB.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
In your win 7 open command prompt & type slmgr -dlv & post the result here.
WinScriptHost.png

And if I opt for clean install then will it wipe out my entire harddisk and then install fresh? or just C: drive?

Last edited:
Top Bottom