Windows 10 Home or Pro?

digibrush

digitalpainter
I am using Windows 10 free upgrade version(windows 10 Pro) over win 7 professional from last year.
Free uses over soon...so i want to buy a fresh version of windows 10. question is which version should I buy.

Win 10 Home 64 bit retail costs 7.5K Plus
Win 10 Pro 64 bit retail cost 11k plus

I am a graphic designer and using software like photoshop,freehand corel painter etc. I only do artworks on my computer. No use other than drawing painting, waching movies, and gaming sometimes (not much).

So can you guys tell me which version of windows 10 do I need.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Windows 10 that you have upgraded, will not end or get deactivated. As long as you have it installed on your PC, you legally own it.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for my ignorance, but if I format my PC after July 29, 2016, how can I get back to windows 10. I dont have any physical copy.

D@rekills4

In the zone
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for my ignorance, but if I format my PC after July 29, 2016, how can I get back to windows 10. I dont have any physical copy.

Use Magical JellyBean Key Finder.
Use it to backup your Windows 10 key.

Before reinstalling make sure you get the same ISO as the current edition of your Windows, which as you said is Window 10 Pro.
I would recommend using 'Media Creation Tool' to get the latest build and original ISO.

Burn it on a DvD or Pen Drive, input the key when asked for.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Thanks for your reply.

just download a iso file from microsoft burn it to dvd and use it to reinstall.It will automatically activated.

make sure you download win 10 pro ISO.

D@rekills4

In the zone
Instead of formatting, reset your PC.

That's never as good as clean install.
I thought it was, but it isn't. Not all **** gets removed.
Especially if you upgraded from a previous version.

just download a iso file from microsoft burn it to dvd and use it to reinstall.It will automatically activated.

make sure you download win 10 pro ISO.

That would work only for computers with a specific partition allocated for OEM information.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
Use Magical JellyBean Key Finder.
Use it to backup your Windows 10 key.

Before reinstalling make sure you get the same ISO as the current edition of your Windows, which as you said is Window 10 Pro.
I would recommend using 'Media Creation Tool' to get the latest build and original ISO.

Burn it on a DvD or Pen Drive, input the key when asked for.

Thanks for your help.
I did the same as you describe. format my drive, clean install with product key and it is automatically activated.

So I have now genuine version of windows 10 Pro for the life time. Microsoft allow me to free update because I have legal copy of window 7, is that the deal?

D@rekills4

In the zone
Thanks for your help.
I did the same as you describe. format my drive, clean install with product key and it is automatically activated.

So I have now genuine version of windows 10 Pro for the life time. Microsoft allow me to free update because I have legal copy of window 7, is that the deal?

Correct.
Free upgrades from previous versions of Windows are available till 29 June 2016.
If you upgrade before that, your Windows will remain activated permanently.

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter
Correct.
Free upgrades from previous versions of Windows are available till 29 June 2016.
If you upgrade before that, your Windows will remain activated permanently.

activated permanently for the rest of life? So it is consider as a Retail version?

Anyway thank you very much, :clap2: your advice save my bucks. :)

billubakra

Conversation Architect
activated permanently for the rest of life? So it is consider as a Retail version?

Anyway thank you very much, :clap2: your advice save my bucks. :)

Yes, activated for the rest of life. Regarding retail IDK, but you will receive updates the same way as retail.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Free upgrade offer gives OEM license only.What it means is that once win 10 free upgrade is activated on a particular system it is tied to that system's hardware.This is a downgrade for someone with win 7/8 retail license.e.g.if you ever change mobo free upgrade win 10 activation will become invalid & you have to buy fresh win 10 license.Retail license can simply be activated again after a mobo change.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Free upgrade offer gives OEM license only.What it means is that once win 10 free upgrade is activated on a particular system it is tied to that system's hardware.This is a downgrade for someone with win 7/8 retail license.e.g.if you ever change mobo free upgrade win 10 activation will become invalid & you have to buy fresh win 10 license.Retail license can simply be activated again after a mobo change.

Sorry for the silly question but what is meant by a mobo change?

OP
digibrush

digibrush

digitalpainter

But info shows this:

*i.imgur.com/F6bJx3X.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows - Windows 10 Forums
*winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-h...-after-29-july-2016-if-i-need-change-hardware
the reply I received from a Microsoft spokesperson (emphasis is mine):
“We are excited to offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year. Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current via Windows Update for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.”
lifetime of a device means same hardware because once you change motherboard it is not the same device.

*answers.microsoft.com/en-us/inside...ws-7-oem/b622ef33-ac69-4ca1-b7d1-9aa08321809f
With build 10586, this is not as clearly defined since all upgrades to the November Update are automatically defined as from a retail channel.

tl;dr/summary: Free win 10 upgrade is a bonus by MS not a right so one can not claim free win 10 after 29jul2016 because he or she has a win 7/8 retail key.

P.S. One can always buy a win 10 upgrade pack from win 7/8 retail install.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows - Windows 10 Forums
*winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-h...-after-29-july-2016-if-i-need-change-hardware

lifetime of a device means same hardware because once you change motherboard it is not the same device.

*answers.microsoft.com/en-us/inside...ws-7-oem/b622ef33-ac69-4ca1-b7d1-9aa08321809f

tl;dr/summary: Free win 10 upgrade is a bonus by MS not a right so one can not claim free win 10 after 29jul2016 because he or she has a win 7/8 retail key.

Brother in the other thread in which you have given helpful replies regarding Intel driver error in Harassment-Packard laptops, they changed the motherboard of our laptop and still with the new motherboard Win 10 was activated. How did that happen?

D@rekills4

In the zone
Brother in the other thread in which you have given helpful replies regarding Intel driver error in Harassment-Packard laptops, they changed the motherboard of our laptop and still with the new motherboard Win 10 was activated. How did that happen?

No, if you change the entire hardware, then it will stop working.
A simple motherboard change or GPU change isn't going to deactivate your Windows.

If you change every component in the machine, then your new key will no longer be valid for your your new hardware since it has been registered on Microsoft's server for your old hardware.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^That is incorrect.A motherboard is the most essential part of a PC along with processor.Changing either of them will result in deactivation of windows license.For simplicity:

System A hash=processor X(sr no.123)+mobo Y(sr no.456)=7AB(as per MS server) registered with key XYZ successfully

mobo changed with same model & obviously with different sr no.

System A hash=processor X(sr no.123)+changed mobo Y(sr no.678)=8AC(as per MS server) registered with key XYZ failed as XYZ is tied with system hash 7AB.

[MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION],laltop manufacturers put win 10 key directly inside the BIOS of laptop mobo so basically when a laptop mobo with preinstalled win 10 is changed it basically means laptop manufacturer gives you a new win 10 key.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
^^That is incorrect.A motherboard is the most essential part of a PC along with processor.Changing either of them will result in deactivation of windows license.For simplicity:

System A hash=processor X(sr no.123)+mobo Y(sr no.456)=7AB(as per MS server) registered with key XYZ successfully

mobo changed with same model & obviously with different sr no.

System A hash=processor X(sr no.123)+changed mobo Y(sr no.678)=8AC(as per MS server) registered with key XYZ failed as XYZ is tied with system hash 7AB.

[MENTION=154704]billubakra[/MENTION],laltop manufacturers put win 10 key directly inside the BIOS of laptop mobo so basically when a laptop mobo with preinstalled win 10 is changed it basically means laptop manufacturer gives you a new win 10 key.

After reading the first 6-7 lines, I was thinking dang I would have opted for non-medical in high school.

Anyways dear brother the key of the Windows 10 was unchanged after the motherboard was replaced. I checked it with Produkey.

Top Bottom