Windows 10 Enterprise date & time issue

maheshn

Journeyman
Well, I'm having a strange issue with date and time on my machine at work... before going into the same, a few specs.

-It's a Dell Optiplex newly purchased by the organization, barely 6 months old.
-Our office got a total of 4 new systems with identical specs - Skylake i5, 4GB RAM, no ODD, 1TB HDD, 18.5" monitor, Dell KB & MS.
-The systems are part of a domain. We don't have access to the Admin user for the domain, but we can access the Admin user on the local system.

The issue? The date and time get reset to about 7 days back, and 6 hours back, arbitrarily. Changing the date and time in the control panel corrects it, but only for about 1/2 and hour to 1hr. After that it again goes back 7 days/6hrs approx. It does not go back to 1st April 2002, or any first date like with a battery failure.

-And before everyone says "Check the CMOS battery", it's already been checked, replaced, the whole lot. It's not a hardware fault

-Also, it does not seem to be a known software issue with internet time synchronization. There is no internet access for the PC and the time sync is turned off

-Microsoft support sites mention the time service may be corrupt and recommend stopping and restarting the time service. I've done that too to no effect.

-The system service is done by CMS. The CMS technician who looked at the system couldn't find any reason for this happening.

Where should I look for clues?

OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
Yes, BIOS time and date is correct. It doesn't change. Only after booting in windows is there any issue.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Is it happening to very specific laptop in question or on all four laptops connected to domain?
If your company policy allows try running Live Linux distro and check what date/time it shows/sets.
Is your time zone correct?
Scan your system for any signs of virus/malware that may be forcefully doing it?
Does it happen both times when you are on domain and if on standalone without domain but on local admin account?

OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
Is it happening to very specific laptop in question or on all four laptops connected to domain?
If your company policy allows try running Live Linux distro and check what date/time it shows/sets.
Is your time zone correct?
Scan your system for any signs of virus/malware that may be forcefully doing it?
Does it happen both times when you are on domain and if on standalone without domain but on local admin account?

-It's not laptops. Dell Optiplex *desktops*.
-Systems are all connected to the domain and remain so all the time.
-Time zone is correct, GMT + 5:30 and does not change.
-System has centrally managed AV which is updated through the domain and does auto scanning twice a day. Also done manual scan with no results.
-For now I have no option to run a live linux distro (no optical drive, and at the moment can't use USB drives due to policy). However I have mentioned this to the powers above for permission.

Thanks!

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Is there any Clock Synchronization policy deployed whereby the clocks on client machine connected to the domain are auto synced with the server in your company? Is yes then may be some investigation may be necessary on the server & applied policy config.

Also what happens when you run standalone without being connected to the network with local admin account? Does date/time still reset back to an earlier date?

OP
maheshn

maheshn

Journeyman
-There was a problem with the windows Time Service which kept crashing. We had to set the service properties to 'On 1st Failure - Restart Service', On 2nd Failure, Restart and on Subsequent Failures also restart. We set the time interval to 1 minute. This cleared up the issue.

-Thanks for all your suggestions.

Top Bottom