Win xp takes ages to startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biplav

In the zone
ok
i got a serious problem.
it was all ok today morning.
then when i restarted it took nearly 2 mins to start up!
i usually do in 20 secs.
then now my comp starts after 3-4 mins.
and thats it.
i just get to see the wallpaper and nothing. no icons no taskbar no start menu nothing atall.
i am right now in win2000 and evrtytghing is allright.
i have a restore point on 15th may. but it says no changes made.
help me fast!!

S

sunnydiv

yep same here, no spy or worm or virus, updated norton

but i have another copy of xp, which starts in a jiffy

solution............. reinstall

OP
Biplav

Biplav

In the zone
i cant open windows xp
i just shows the desktop background and stops!it does not hang though.
i cant load kaspersky antivirus in 2000 and check either.
wat to do?

swatkat

Technomancer
Can you boot in SAFE mode? If yes, then copy the below text inside "Code" box to NotePad:-
Code:
regedit /e test1.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" 
regedit /e test2.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" 
regedit /e test3.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices" 
regedit /e test4.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices" 
regedit /e test5.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" 
regedit /e test6.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
regedit /e test6.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects"
regedit /e test7.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

copy test1.txt + test2.txt + test3.txt + test4.txt + test5.txt + test6.txt +test7.txt = info.txt

del test1.txt
del test2.txt
del test3.txt
del test4.txt
del test5.txt
del test6.txt
del test7.txt
Then go to File> Save As in NotePad, and type the filename as Test.bat and save it.
Double click on the Test.bat file, it will dump a Text file named Info.txt in the same location where the Test.bat is located. Open the Info.txt file and copy it's contents and post it here.

swatkat

Technomancer
Boot into the WinXP (where the problem lies now), and copy the copy text to NotePad, you can save the Test.bat on Desktop itself.

OP
Biplav

Biplav

In the zone
no booting now in xp. not even in safe mode. when i boot in safe mode(or safe mode with networking) it restarts .wat to do now?

swatkat

Technomancer
Perform Windows XP Repair, this will not damage any installed software, but only repairs missing/corrupt system files and settings.
Follow inststructions provided here.
*helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/repairinstall.htm

[Edit] typo!

OP
Biplav

Biplav

In the zone
i dont mind any sort of damage to any installed files.
just my xp should run. thats it.
i will check and tell u whether it worked now

ok i broke my xp cd. now wat? can i put ion another cd (xp ofcourse) of my friend?

i dunno whether they have the same cd key.

OP
Biplav

Biplav

In the zone
but then how can i run win 2000? i just got 1 hdd of 80 gb. and i got a new hdd this yr on jan 30 (seagate)

Journeyman
ok i broke my xp cd. now wat? can i put ion another cd (xp ofcourse) of my friend?

You can put in anoyone's Windows XP CD -- as Long as its Windows XP. It will be just very smiliar to a fresh install. It will as you for a CD key. You can enter your CD key (You should have your CD key although you broke it - was it written outside,ofcos I wouldn't advocate piracy)...

You will lose your windows settings- but you wont loose any installed programs or files unless you have bad sectors which u cant recover. [/quote]

saROMan

QA Juggler
hey swatcat ..this is my info.txt from ur method....

plz tell me what does all this means???

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"KAVPersonal50"="C:\\Program Files\\Kaspersky Lab\\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\\kav.exe /minimize"
"sunasDtServ"="C:\\Program Files\\Sunbelt Software\\CounterSpy Client\\sunasDtServ.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B}]

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Swatkat i desabled some services since then my pc takes ages to get on it does get on tho but it takes a long time really long i sleep when it gets on :p any solutions m8.

OP
Biplav

Biplav

In the zone
Hey swatcat ,144 and everyone thanx. it really worked and now i can open win xp.
one problem though- i got a win xp home cd and repaired it.
now it keeps asking me to activate? how
when i click the button it says some number is wrong, though the cd came with hp notebook!

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
you can use a program which will disable the activation warnings and let you boot normally................... illegal though................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom